PDA

View Full Version : Moles????

Mow Man
01-23-2011, 03:57 PM
My operation is on the east coast at the N/S Cartolina border (Myrtle Beach). I have never noticed such a bad case of moles this early in the year. I am wondering if anybody else has experienced this as well this year. If so, do you think that it has something to do with our uncommonly cold winter? Also, what seems to be the best way to iradicate this as the little worms that I have been putting out don't seem to be working as good as usual . Please help!

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-23-2011, 04:03 PM
i wolud put my 2 cents in but some "professionals" on here might object. Good luck

dKoester
01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Maybe the moles have built up a tolerance to what you have been putting down all the time without changing your approach.

Hook and Ladder
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Mow man,

I am just a couple hours south of you brother- we got hammered this year. Mole crickets also had a larger than normal hatch this year to boot. Send me a PM and I can give you some tips of what I did specific for our salty area. Good thing is the bastards are laying low now. The campaign will continue in a few months.

Premier landscaping south
01-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Lesco sells a product that you hook up to a hose and will treat 10K. Has some type of oil in it that the moles do not like. It has worked like a charm for me.

Liquid Fence Mole repellent is the brand name.

Make sure to follow the directions to a tee.

http://www.liquidfence.com/mole-repellent.html

Curb_Appeal
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Caster Oil
Dont know from experience, but ive heard from plenty of older farmers that it does the trick
Good luck

rhyan6
01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Tailprid is the best i have ever seen on moles. Wear gloves so human sent does not get on the worms and you will be amazed good luck

Hook and Ladder
01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Ok here is what I use: Dylox 6.2- I am sure you have a Lesco up there with the mass golf courses or a John Deere Landscaping store. I could link you but I am too lazy right now and swamped with these damn tax papers

Also Telstar from Lesco is a dozy. I have used both and had a few new customers due to the moles hauling ass after the mass exodus of grubs into the neighbors yard. (Shhh landscapers secret to get more customers)

Sorry to hear you busted your ass for a contractor license only to have the market tank. It sucks. I am a Paramedic/FF full time and do this on my days off. Got raked over the coals in the forums by some jackasses thinking this was a "hobby." Good reading for ya:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3867482#post3867482

Always wanted to build a business and spent some time working on golf courses so what better way to have something to fall back on if I ever get hurt- Have had my own business going on 4 years now. Learning new things all the time. Being that you are up that way maybe consider going to CC to get your horticulture degree. Maybe even part time. Great stuff from what some of my buddies tell me. If I can ever off advice or help work through something new feel free to email. We got to be careful because our soils and tactics are very different than the rest of the world. Salinity is a *****.

One other thing for you- I use these guys often even though I am a true Gamecock and we have spent thousands of dollars to that university it kills me- Clemson Extensions offer great advice and cheap soil tests. (6$) Also the websites give great insight as to what and when to do things:

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/

Hope this helps- Oh the Dylox ran me $45 a bag of granular. I could do 2 yards easily (1/2-3/4 acre) I am in the same boat as you with the liquid spraying. ITs a different world and set of problems. ;) I usually sub it out to a good friend of mine while he teaches me how to do it.

Take care-

rhyan6
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Dylox is great for grubs same as tailstar, those do not get ride of moles. Moles number one food is earth worms not grubs as many believe in. I use dylox for grubs works great.

Hook and Ladder
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Dylox is great for grubs same as tailstar, those do not get ride of moles. Moles number one food is earth worms not grubs as many believe in. I use dylox for grubs works great.

I am switching to Caddyshack Tactics this year- can't find an old wooden detonator box though. Anyone got one?

Mow Man
01-25-2011, 10:48 AM

I am certainly learning quite a bit from this post and thought I had it all figured out (thanks to hook and ladder and others) After I discussed this with my partner (Dylox and Tailstar) I was told that it was the earth worms attracting the moles and not the grubs. As if you were listening to our conversation, you confirmed that fact. So, back full circle? The best way to get rid of the moles?:dizzy:

Hook and Ladder
01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
HAHAHAHA- give those a try for now man. Dylox first. More than likely they are after the grubs. Again- different tactics for different areas. If you find something else out let me know always a sponge for info.

:hammerhead:

Mow Man
01-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Tailprid is the best i have ever seen on moles. Wear gloves so human sent does not get on the worms and you will be amazed good luck

I didn't see this post. I'll give it a try!
Thanks

Hook and Ladder
01-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I didn't see this post. I'll give it a try!
Thanks

Let me know how that works!

rhyan6
01-25-2011, 03:14 PM
you always have grubs in lawns just a matter of how many in a small area is when you see damage. Dylox is best for grubs not moles. look up tailprid at jdl they are poisoned worms. Studies threw Michigan state have proven that moles feed on earth worms over grubs. Skunks however love grubs. Just what i use and it works wonders if trained how to put them in the ground. get the dvd from jdl and you will learn allot

ReddensLawnCare
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I have the best solution...I have an old employee of mine who I am on good terms with. He is a highschool student with nothing but time on his hands. 3 of my customers had a horrible problem with moles. I made a deal with this kid that for every mole that he killed, I would pay him 15 bucks...i charged the customer 30 per mole :) His kill tactics....fill the tunnels with water...smush them down with his feet...sit in one spot without moving and wait till the mounds began to move. At that point he would shoot them with a high powered pellet rifle. I now have 3 customers with no moles...mission success

aeration
01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I've actually done well with a pitch fork. You'll need some extra time on your hands, though.

Mow Man
01-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Appreciate the humor though! I guess I can use a stick of dinomite as well, but.........

On a serious note, it just dawned on me that some of my worst cases are on properties backing up to golf courses. I am thinking the course turf managers are chasing them back off of the course to my customers yards. Dose this make sense?

ReddensLawnCare
01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
That makes perfect sense...my three yards were ones that were all in a high end development surrounding a local gc

betterlawnsandlandscaping
01-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Best way to eradicate is.............................................................................

ChiefsBeHoofinIt
01-30-2011, 01:47 AM
my grandpa showed me growing up 2 methods. 1.) he had alot of spare time so hed wait outside watching birds till he saw a tunnel move then just walk over and pitch fork the sucker. 2.) Hed put a hose down in the raised soil and turn it on and pitch fork it when it came out. keep in mind this was before people even worried about money as far as fillin mole holes with water goes haha

Snapper Pro
02-05-2011, 11:22 PM
I have also noticed they have been worser this year than they normally are.

Hoy landscaping
02-07-2011, 04:14 PM
ive always used the juicy fruit technique. works every time. people always ask me and i tell them that. they call me back in a few days saying they cant belive it worked and they're dying like crazy.

ReddensLawnCare
02-07-2011, 08:50 PM
explain the juicy fruit thing please?

Hoy landscaping
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
explain the juicy fruit thing please?

Get a few packs of juicy fruit. Chew each piece just enough that its moist and has plenty of flavor. You should be able to smell it from a few inches away. then stick the chewed gum down the hole. the mole goes by its sense of feel and smell, so he smells it and eats it thinking its some grub or other bug. the little varmint cant digest it and he dies.