PDA

View Full Version : Working in the winter

TNGrassCutter
01-23-2011, 06:51 PM
What do you guys do in the winter? There's no leaves to get here, no grass to cut, not enough snow to plow (until this year) and I am bored.

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I think Micky D's is hiring! :D

BINKY1902
01-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I do leaves two or three days a week, take naps, go hunting...

TNGrassCutter
01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I think Micky D's is hiring! :D

They said I wasn't qualified for the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-23-2011, 08:44 PM
And no money to shop for stuff for next season!

Agape
01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Taxes and boredom

Clark Griswold
01-23-2011, 08:48 PM
We're all on here dissing each other, what else!

Lefet
01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
And answering the SAME questions!!!!!!!!

RHill
01-23-2011, 08:55 PM
i work full time and only mow part time in growing season (full time then). I just finished mulching leaves about 2 weeks ago. Doing some routine maintenence to get ready fro spring. I did a tree trimming job today and have another small landscape job to do. You should try cutting and selling fire wood. Try to do landscape and tree jobs in the off season. I also enjoy some off time to relax.

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 08:55 PM

yep, 100,000 times over.

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
They said I wasn't qualified for the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

You must have too much education and work ethic. I can't by a McDonald's or any mainstream fast food place without them screwing up my order.

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Firewood? You need a good $10,000 machine to process wood fast enough to come close to making any money. Then you need a good source for the wood and the time to drop the trees and haul them to the processor. Lets not forget delivery. When it comes to selling firewood, you're either big time or you won't make squat.

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 09:01 PM
You must have too much education and work ethic. I can't by a McDonald's or any mainstream fast food place without them screwing up my order.

LOL, SO true.

Is that your little girl in your avatar? She's adorable.

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 09:03 PM
LOL, SO true.

Is that your little girl in your avatar? She's adorable.

Yes it is. Thank You!

ALC-GregH
01-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Your welcome.

meets1
01-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I do wood. Also alot of snow cuz I get snow. Sand parking lots. I operate a small construction biz as well and we insulate attics, put in three garage doors this past week. Remodeled a bath room - total revenation job, always something to do. THis week nothing on the books so back to the shop and we have all handheld equipment to go thru, one pull behind sprayer to work on and the two big machines - 455-D toro's to go thru. They need alittle care!

JB1
01-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I set on my ass and yell at the tv.

944own
01-23-2011, 09:23 PM
There was a guy standing on a freeway off ramp the other day trying to get money from people he was holding a sign that said (too honest to steal, too ugly to prostitute) I know that has nothing to do with this I just thought it was funny.

BadRancher
01-23-2011, 09:24 PM
I set on my ass and yell at the tv.
There was a guy standing on a freeway off ramp the other day trying to get money from people he was holding a sign that said (too honest to steal, too ugly to prostitute) I know that has nothing to do with this I just thought it was funny.

^^^^^ I wish there was a like button or thank you for replies like on other forums haha.

JadestoneLawncare
01-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I work full time 10 hours a day 2nd shift then I snow plow (4-8 hours) at night and try to get sleep anywhere between, so I'm really busy!! we got a lot of snow here to west side of michigan so lake effect!!!

TNGrassCutter
01-23-2011, 09:30 PM

I didn't realize this had been asked lately. I try to keep up with the topics.
Posted via Mobile Device

944own
01-23-2011, 09:32 PM

needless to say I had to give him a dollar.

r.eckley
01-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Finished up about middle of nov. had knee replacement day before thanksgiving.Lots of therapy ,sure tired of sitting ready to go back to work
but first going to spend feb. in gulf shores al. maybe snow will be gone when we get home.

betterlawnsandlandscaping
01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Not much to do here either until late February. Bout to go crazy!!!

tstutz
01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Farm. school, and snow removal...also a little hunting!

Agape
01-24-2011, 01:13 AM

not funny enough to give him my money.

Lefet
01-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I didn't realize this had been asked lately. I try to keep up with the topics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not necessarily aimed at you, just in general.
"When should I start"
"New to the business......"
"Want to start this year"
"Do I need a license"
"How many sq ft"
"What should I charge"
"Can I". "should I". "what if".......

and the list goes on and on.............

And I merely was answering your question, giving the same answers, just to different people! Does seem like alot of newbies around lately.

Baytownlawncare
01-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Work my full time job and miss the additional income. But I did schedule 4 cuts this week. Some folks do care what the yard looks like this time of year. Clover and weeds the only thing growing here in Texas.

jasonc0203
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I Have a few cleaning contracts that get me through the winter. Only takes a few hours on the weekend and pays the bills all year long. Also hit the pavement to stir up new clients.[/I]

alexschultz1
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
sign up for winter classes at a local college, im going to lanier tech for my environ hort degree, in ga its free to go with the hope grant. its probably the same in tennessee.

Lugnut
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Aside from plowing and salting, I have been staying busy with tree work and firewood. As for making money in firewood, I disagree about having to be big time to make money. If you have employees cutting and splitting its tough, but if you do it yourself when you have some time (and have room to store it) theres decent money in it to help get through winter. I'm selling cords $225 delivered, which was split last winter. Im splitting this winter as wood comes in from tree jobs.

ALC-GregH
01-24-2011, 08:43 PM
I'd get laughed at if I told a customer I want $225 a cord. I get $160 a cord dumped in a pile. $190 if they want it stacked.

Look's Great
01-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Get out and do some marketing, go out and land those commercial accounts for next year. then in February hit the residental with door hangers, postcards, grocery store ad boards,ect...

looksgreatlawncare.com

Lugnut
01-24-2011, 10:56 PM
I didn't sell much of anything this fall with $200 a cord prices(pre season) however many of the guys who were selling cheaper have since run out, or gotten tired of being out working in the cold, letting prices rise by me

unit28
01-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Aside from plowing and salting, I have been staying busy with tree work and firewood. As for making money in firewood, I disagree about having to be big time to make money. If you have employees cutting and splitting its tough, but if you do it yourself when you have some time (and have room to store it) theres decent money in it to help get through winter. I'm selling cords $225 delivered, which was split last winter. Im splitting this winter as wood comes in from tree jobs.

I did the same thing in TX
I sold 40 cords a season and installed christmas lights.
Plus mowing annual rye we seeded, leaf clean up jobs,
and install winter annuals.

Now living in Minnesota,
seems like everyday is a new project...mostly from fighting rust.

Tyner Lawn Service
01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I go around and buy lottery tickets but so far that's not too profitable. Actually I have a cleaning business that cleans vacant apartments after they are prepped but that's slowed down in winter.( I'm getting out of that business because I like lawn care full time better) I had a chance to go to Phoenix for the winter and thought about starting a lawn business on the side there but played it safe for once this winter and stayed home.

rreyn1812
02-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Doing a variety of things, and things have started picking up since mid-Jan; garden clean-up and tilling, yard clean-ups, tree cutting & trimming, landscaping, etc. Will be meeting with two customers this week to go over winter projects they want to get accomplished before spring. There is always equipment maintenance, taxes, and some well needed rest. There's no telling what this year will bring!

Mike's Lawn Care
02-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I Sub-Drive A School Bus In The Winter Months, Very Close To Home And Very Flexible For Me...... Bad Part Not Good Money Like Mowing And I Have To Put Up With The Kids, But That's Not So Bad.

kilgoja
02-02-2011, 12:18 AM
various things...jobs here or there...no snow in the south...maybe once a year lol....you could try stump grinding or something...tree trimming...things of that nature...i just try to enjoy the time off and do other things that you never have time to get around to if you have a normal job because you are always working lol....hunting and preparing equipment for the spring...sanding/painting rusty spots on trailer or whatever...anything really...i guess i'm not a person that likes to stay super busy all the time...i like to relax and take it easy and take my time...i hate being in a hurry or hard pressed for time

rob640
02-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I work full time 3 12hour days sat-mon.. allows me to mow tues - friday during the summer and during the winter i still have that income coming in. This works good for me.