PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe it.

South Florida Lawns
01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
So for the heck of it I had my enclosed lettered up. Huge name and number as big as I could go, kept it simple and clean with my logo, did it in colored vinyl too. Guess what after 3 months not a single call, and this trailer goes everywhere, oh well I'm not too surprised seems like everyone these days cuts grass. (mostly weekend warriors for beer money)

I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!

freshprince94
01-23-2011, 10:18 PM
So for the heck of it I had my enclosed lettered up. Huge name and number as big as I could go, kept it simple and clean with my logo, did it in colored vinyl too. Guess what after 3 months not a single call, and this trailer goes everywhere, oh well I'm not too surprised seems like everyone these days cuts grass. (mostly weekend warriors for beer money)

I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!

From my experience, quality and referrals are the only ways to pick up clients here. Advertising is hit or miss, may pick up a few customers, but the best and easiest way to pick up a customer is the referral. Especially from the upper middle class folks who all talk to eachother. Most of my customers are either picked up off referrals, or because the neighbor of a current client saw me and liked my work.

h2oskier
01-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Trailer won't do much good lettered up if it sits in your driveway all winter.

Landscape Poet
01-23-2011, 11:31 PM

Honestly I have always had a sign that this is very bold in color and draws ones attention. Takes up the entire width and height of my gate. I get maybe 2 calls a year off of it that actually produce a client that i want. That is why I have never bought into the 1-800-mowmylawn etc.

As Fresh Prince said - most of mine come from referrals or neighbors of those I work at. Advertising with door hangers works but of course requires a lot of time to spread through a whole neighborhood.

zturncutter
01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
"I should just stick signs in all my accounts and let the quality speak for itself!"

Tried that last year without much success, word of mouth accounts for at least 90% of my new customers these days.

M.M.A. Mowing
01-23-2011, 11:57 PM
My trailers graphics have gotten me at least 5 accounts last year. whether it be from my phone # being so big or just from looking more professional than the other guy. My yard sign never gave me one call.

South Florida Lawns
01-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I actually had the trailer lettered because last year when doing installs at the end of the day as we wrapped this up home owners would walk up and asked about our services and who we were what our number was. It was because our work and trucks looking top notch. Now with everything lettered I'm ready for the new year and spring.

sedge
01-24-2011, 01:06 AM
I actually had the trailer lettered because last year when doing installs at the end of the day as we wrapped this up home owners would walk up and asked about our services and who we were what our number was. It was because our work and trucks looking top notch. Now with everything lettered I'm ready for the new year and spring.

Money well spent, even if you haven't gotten any calls because of it. It makes you much more, well "legit" oh, and professional looking. Good for you say. Can't go wrong with putting your name in front of people and keeping it there.

williams lcm
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I have my truck and trailer in top notch shape. Always clean and looks amazing. But I think people may think I am too expensive just the way my rig looks. A few do have beautiful rigs but most are crappy looking. In this economy people want cheap service with good quality. Maybe have a crappy looking setup would get me more work.

sedge
01-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I have my truck and trailer in top notch shape. Always clean and looks amazing. But I think people may think I am too expensive just the way my rig looks. A few do have beautiful rigs but most are crappy looking. In this economy people want cheap service with good quality. Maybe have a crappy looking setup would get me more work.

hmmm, what to do, what to do, hmmm. Oh yeah, put your starting price on your trailer.

B&M
01-25-2011, 02:31 AM
I think lettering on trucks and trailers is hit or miss. Our truck has been lettered for about five years. We have picked up only a handful of customers form the lettering, and all of them have been in residential neighborhoods where the truck sits for long periods of time week after week. I feel the best advertising is quality work and word of mouth.

Agape
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Well the last 3 months have been winter, I got a lot of business off my lettering last year.
Try driving couteously and smiling/waving at people.

Ooomwizard
01-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Signage has gotten me mostly salespeople trying to sell me something, but, I do like having it. My truck and trailers match and it does look more professional.

I also notice when I meet people and explain what I do that people do say, "oh yeah, I've see your trucks around." That may help with credibility (the sale) when approaching or bidding new clients.

+1 vote for graphics.

BrunoT
01-29-2011, 02:38 AM
Look, it's not like people don't know how to look up lawn care companies on the web or even in the yellow pages. The town is likely flooded with lawn guys. The fact that your sign announces you're in the business wouldn't then be expected to in of itself generate much interest.

They see you parked there or in traffic with a trailer full of lawn gear. Yeah, you're obviously a lawn guy. They can probably figure that out w/o the signs. To expect people to treat it like kids rushing to the ice cream truck is unrealistic. I see a dozen lawn trucks every day. That doesn't mean I'd hire any of them. I'd want to get a referral or minimally read a website to see if they demonstrate they will be what I want.

People want someone GOOD, and RELIABLE. The sign doesn't tell them that. Their neighbors and friends do. Seeing your work does. So they ask them who they use. Your signage doesn't really do much other than give your number out to random passersby who happen to be in the market for a lawn guy. I see plumbers every day. But I would never just call one from the number I saw on the side of their van. The days of when we were in such demand that our mere existence brought calls is over.

You get a few walk-ups from having your contact info on the truck or trailer. But I wouldn't expect it to be the foundation of a marketing plan.

Agape
01-29-2011, 03:15 AM
Look, it's not like people don't know how to look up lawn care companies on the web or even in the yellow pages. The town is likely flooded with lawn guys. The fact that your sign announces you're in the business wouldn't then be expected to in of itself generate much interest.

They see you parked there or in traffic with a trailer full of lawn gear. Yeah, you're obviously a lawn guy. They can probably figure that out w/o the signs. To expect people to treat it like kids rushing to the ice cream truck is unrealistic. I see a dozen lawn trucks every day. That doesn't mean I'd hire any of them. I'd want to get a referral or minimally read a website to see if they demonstrate they will be what I want.

People want someone GOOD, and RELIABLE. The sign doesn't tell them that. Their neighbors and friends do. Seeing your work does. So they ask them who they use. Your signage doesn't really do much other than give your number out to random passersby who happen to be in the market for a lawn guy. I see plumbers every day. But I would never just call one from the number I saw on the side of their van. The days of when we were in such demand that our mere existence brought calls is over.

You get a few walk-ups from having your contact info on the truck or trailer. But I wouldn't expect it to be the foundation of a marketing plan.

what a senseless ramble, I got a lot of business off my signs. and I'm not sure we're talking about simply having your name and number, but rather good quality, attractive signage, not to be the complete marketing plan. You're probably one of those guys that doesn't do crap to your own lawn either. But if you can't make yourself look good, how in the.......... do you expect anyone to think you'll make their place look good?

Agape
01-29-2011, 03:19 AM
Signage has gotten me mostly salespeople trying to sell me something, but, I do like having it. My truck and trailers match and it does look more professional.

I also notice when I meet people and explain what I do that people do say, "oh yeah, I've see your trucks around." That may help with credibility (the sale) when approaching or bidding new clients.

+1 vote for graphics.

"oh yeah, I've see your trucks around."

yes, thats brand marketing, where you are eye catching, and people recognize you.

Agape
01-29-2011, 03:25 AM
There's actually another agape in my area that I've actually gotten jobs off of their truck lettering ( big letters for name, phone# too small to read from distance) because I'm well marketed. They see their trucks and google them but I come up as Agape lawn service (they're Agape gardens or something and don't come up in search).:sleeping:

BadRancher
01-29-2011, 07:13 AM
"oh yeah, I've see your trucks around."

yes, thats brand marketing, where you are eye catching, and people recognize you.

Funny you should say that. I get calls from people that say they have seen my truck around, but I don't haven't had it lettered or signed since my first season.

As for the original post, don't be too down about it. Your are differentiating yourself from the rest with your lettering. Think about how many folks run nice rigs with no lettering. You never know when that lettering may may land you that 15 cubic yard mulch job or several nice 50 dollar yards right next to each other. Sometimes it takes a while to get a return on some forms of advertising.

I got a call a few days ago from a flyer I put out my first season in.

Agape
01-29-2011, 11:51 AM
well it's winter anyways, why do you think you'd get a call from any advertising?

Florida Gardener
01-29-2011, 11:56 AM
With so many companies out there, why wouldn't you have nice lettering. If I am a potential customer and see someone with a trailer with no lettering: 1) I have no idea who they even are 2) It tells me they either can't afford lettering or aren't senseful enough as a business owner to try and market themselves. It's all about brand recognition.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrunoT
02-01-2011, 02:12 AM
what a senseless ramble, I got a lot of business off my signs. and I'm not sure we're talking about simply having your name and number, but rather good quality, attractive signage, not to be the complete marketing plan. You're probably one of those guys that doesn't do crap to your own lawn either. But if you can't make yourself look good, how in the.......... do you expect anyone to think you'll make their place look good?

Sounds like you never learned the meaning of the word "agape" before you plastered it around.

I didn't say signs are worthless. I said they're only part of a marketing plan, and less important than the other things mentioned, and certainly not something to rely on to the exclusion of the other things mentioned.

In fact,. the OP made it clear in his post that he was relying heavily on signage and was disappointed it didn't have customers flocking to him. I simply pointed out that it takes more than signs and thinking it will have customers flocking is a mistake. Other posts here have said much the same thing.

Don't be so sensitive, nobody's threatening your manhood because you like signs. It reflects poorly on your maturity and sense of confidence to take the mere exchange of ideas so personally.

As for the rambling comment....look up transference in the dictionary. Someone in the past obviously criticized your marketing plan!

Fresh_Cut
02-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Sounds like you never learned the meaning of the word "agape" before you plastered it around.

I didn't say signs are worthless. I said they're only part of a marketing plan, and less important than the other things mentioned, and certainly not something to rely on to the exclusion of the other things mentioned.

In fact,. the OP made it clear in his post that he was relying heavily on signage and was disappointed it didn't have customers flocking to him. I simply pointed out that it takes more than signs and thinking it will have customers flocking is a mistake. Other posts here have said much the same thing.

Don't be so sensitive, nobody's threatening your manhood because you like signs. It reflects poorly on your maturity and sense of confidence to take the mere exchange of ideas so personally.

As for the rambling comment....look up transference in the dictionary. Someone in the past obviously criticized your marketing plan!

*Chest bump with Bruno!*

Frank's Lawn Care
02-02-2011, 03:19 AM
First let me say, I lost my job and had a few weeks of money coming in...so. I bought what i could, made alot of fliers for $25 a cut full service. Stayed out of the bigger yr subs. And passed out 5000-6000 buy myself. In three months i had 25+ cuts a week making ends meet. I've kept almost everyone. Gladly let some go.. This yr i'm doing the same thing. $25-$35 cuts,mass fliers in the slow time.
In the summer,months after the fliers. Please would talk to me at the gas pump. Hey, are you the $25 guy? lol...I bought 100 signs..got 1 call.. I put 2 of the yr signs on my trailer.. That i know of no calls. That i know of 60+ ppl from fliers. I know the average of 60 out of 6000 isn't good. But i can pass out 500 in one sub in 1 hr. i would hit 2 subs in 2 hrs and be out of fliers..

bolc5150
02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow!!!! A couple of weeks ago I had my logo and web site info etc....at a image guy. He sent me a email of the logo in 2 different ways, I thought nice. So, I just ordered a new 7x16 (my previous was 7x14 flat front) v-nose and was plainning to "PLASTER" my name all down the sides and then park it at my bank which is a customer during the day. Well, seeing this, im not sure what to do. Eye appeal sometimes means alot, it gets the future customer thinking. And if they see a name, we hope they will call us. Im looking at around $400 for design and install. I will NOT logo my truck. I don't want people knowing all of my business. It would be bad enough them seeing me at Cracker Barrel in the mornings for breakfast not to mention at the theatre on a slow day. I would say 50/50 shot.

tstutz
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I wouldnt want to letter up my truck real bad, but it seems like thats the way to avoid being called a weekend warrior on here anyways. Now if i had employees driving my trucks i wouldnt mind having them lettered. Someone might call and say i saw your truck at such and such place where it shouldnt have been.

Frank's Lawn Care
02-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Shoot for $400 doing your whole trailer. Heck yeah! Do it in style. A personal truck i wouldn't do. I like my trucks clean, One color(not two tone) and free from signs an stickers. Maybe lettering on the front or rear windows with name only. Or front plates. I found some nice trailers have 6x12 $1400-$1600. Two companys make them within 100 miles. Maybe next year...

BadRancher
02-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I wouldnt want to letter up my truck real bad, but it seems like thats the way to avoid being called a weekend warrior on here anyways. Now if i had employees driving my trucks i wouldnt mind having them lettered. Someone might call and say i saw your truck at such and such place where it shouldnt have been.
I am a weekend warrior/part timer or whatever the hierarchy wants to call me. I don't give a danged ole damn either.

I had signs once but they messed up the paint on a truck I had, because I never moved them. I may do a decal in the rear window, but that is about it.
Posted via Mobile Device