PDA

View Full Version : 2011 is off to a real crappy start..

Frontier-Lawn
01-23-2011, 10:39 PM
jan is not even over and i have lost 3 clients already, got a email today from the 3rd one today saying cancel for feb due to their income got cut. thats the 3rd one for loss of income cancel so far. :dizzy:

Landscape Poet
01-23-2011, 10:53 PM
jan is not even over and i have lost 3 clients already, got a email today from the 3rd one today saying cancel for feb due to their income got cut. thats the 3rd one for loss of income cancel so far. :dizzy:

Are you sure they are not just cancelling because it is that time of year? I had one that cancelled because of a "job change". Funny how things like that always happen in January and not in July isn't.
I would not sweat it to much yet. More than likely their income will change come July and you will get a call back.

tstutz
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
it started out bad for myself as well. Lost my new garmin unit. On the bright side i did succesfully sign a few more contracts for this year and got the increase i wanted so its coming together.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Head up OP, replace those 3 lost with 6 new ones:)

ProcsLC
01-24-2011, 09:32 AM
If you are noticing a trend with people canceling on you... Start working on a marketing strategy NOW to compensate for those lost customers! Design different fliers, contact different newspapers and get pricing... what ever you do don't just pout about it, make sure you start doing something about it! That's the best strategy I can offer you, stay focused and motivated and moving forward... Sitting idle can lead to becoming depressed with your business and just letting the cards fall wherever they please! IF I lose a customer, the first thing I do is think about what I can do to replace them... Ya, you could wait til July and "hope" they call or you can start working on ways of getting new clients now! Hope this helps...

Baytownlawncare
01-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I have had several cancellations before the new year. Funny thing is most of them were folks that I have had trouble with. My hard core customers are calling now and wanting their yards cleaned up which is nice. Good to get them ship shape before spring. I am not advertising any other way than my website this year. I usually boost traffic a bit with craigslist which helps people find it in a google search. If you have a solid advertising in place you will get the business. Don't fret it. It will get warm and folks will start calling!

Jpocket
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
I would'nt call it crappy unitil April or May. even if you are in florida. Things aren't in full swing yet.

Frontier-Lawn
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I would'nt call it crappy unitil April or May. even if you are in florida. Things aren't in full swing yet.

the fun thing is they all resigned for 2011 when i set out renews in the middle of dec

corey4671
01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
tell me about crappy. January 11th we had 11 inches of snow on the ground. that is UNHEARD of in Middle TN. I look at the window and see my widow lady neighbor shoveling snow. I head out the door to go help her and slipped on a patch of ice. Fell and broke the fibula in my left leg. So now I'm laid up here for at least another 4 weeks in a cast and on crutches. Yeah it's the slow time of year but I had some cleanup jobs booked and some hedge trimming jobs that I've just had to call and tell them it's going to have to wait. Luckily everyone has been understanding.

Lefet
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
If you are noticing a trend with people canceling on you... Start working on a marketing strategy NOW to compensate for those lost customers! Design different fliers, contact different newspapers and get pricing... what ever you do don't just pout about it, make sure you start doing something about it! That's the best strategy I can offer you, stay focused and motivated and moving forward... Sitting idle can lead to becoming depressed with your business and just letting the cards fall wherever they please! IF I lose a customer, the first thing I do is think about what I can do to replace them... Ya, you could wait til July and "hope" they call or you can start working on ways of getting new clients now! Hope this helps...

Terribly good advice!!!!!!!!! If I lose one, I just say "Oh well, they probably weren't worth it anyway"!
Lose one, look for two, lose 2 look for 4. The key is...DO SOMETHING!!

ALC-GregH
01-24-2011, 10:32 PM
What I don't get is, everyone says if you lose one, look for two. If it were that easy to find, wouldn't you think they'd have 1000's of customers by now? It just isn't that easy. If it was, we'd all have more work then we can handle. I do agree that if you NEEDED them then you should try to find replacements for those slots in the schedule but to find even more work then you already have might cause other problems.

I help a friend do custom interior painting and I must say, I've landed a handful of new customers so far this winter.

Agape
01-25-2011, 11:57 AM
tell me about crappy. January 11th we had 11 inches of snow on the ground. that is UNHEARD of in Middle TN. I look at the window and see my widow lady neighbor shoveling snow. I head out the door to go help her and slipped on a patch of ice. Fell and broke the fibula in my left leg. So now I'm laid up here for at least another 4 weeks in a cast and on crutches. Yeah it's the slow time of year but I had some cleanup jobs booked and some hedge trimming jobs that I've just had to call and tell them it's going to have to wait. Luckily everyone has been understanding.

exactly why I don't wanna be solo

Agape
01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
What I don't get is, everyone says if you lose one, look for two. If it were that easy to find, wouldn't you think they'd have 1000's of customers by now? It just isn't that easy. If it was, we'd all have more work then we can handle. I do agree that if you NEEDED them then you should try to find replacements for those slots in the schedule but to find even more work then you already have might cause other problems.

I help a friend do custom interior painting and I must say, I've landed a handful of new customers so far this winter.

look for 2 before you loose the 1.
It's very different here, I have all mine on year round accounts, there's no "renewing".

I do send out, in late October, a letter thanking them for being one of our year round customers, and that they allow us to continue feeding our families( I really lay it on thick).
And I remind them of the winter program...etc.