PDA

View Full Version : Advertising?

South Florida Lawns
01-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I am having a webpage built ( going all out too spending some $$) as we speak but was wondering about Yellowpages.com as well.

I was also thinking about registering with Angies list.

What means of advertising have you guys had the most success with?

Landscape Poet
01-24-2011, 01:44 AM
I am having a webpage built ( going all out too spending some $$) as we speak but was wondering about Yellowpages.com as well.

I was also thinking about registering with Angies list.

What means of advertising have you guys had the most success with?

As mentioned in that other thread, word of mouth has been my most successful way to gain business.

With that said the way I got most initial customers was with door hangers. Professionally designed and laid out door hangers and I am not talking about designed by someone who designs doorhangers. Always have a area printed on them for a "estimated monthly cost" in which I write my estimate. Then I leave them on the doors as I walk door to door. It also saves me time from getting calls from tire kickers. I make it simple for them, they know the price range, if they are interested they call.

I am now lucky to have a pretty full route, so this year I am going to try just limited advertising. One local magazine, HOA newsletters, and again door hangers. I hope to gain a few customers to replace ones that I under bid or ones that I just do not like in general.

Not sure of your operations size SFL, but if you do not do pest control, hook up with one of those companies. not TG etc but a local company. They will appreciate having someone not butchering the lawn and will be more than happy to give you a reference when they can since you make their job less of a hassle if someone is there that knows whats what looking after the property. Of course they will expect you to throw business their way and obviously the more business you throw them, the more they will throw you and the best thing is it cost you nothing.

Patriot Services
01-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Angie's produced two accounts for me. One was wonderful, the other not so much. Customer felt the price she originally agreed to was too much. She was pleased with the work though. I refused to do regular mowing for her after that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
01-24-2011, 09:57 AM
How does Angies list work? Is there a fee?

Patriot Services
01-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I agree with Michael about the fert and pest. Support your local "Ric" and sub it out. Mutual benefits for you both.
Posted via Mobile Device

PetesLandscape&Supply
01-24-2011, 10:25 AM
How does Angies list work? Is there a fee?

I don't know either but am interested in finding out if it works for anyone on here ....hopefully someone will post with their experience ..... :)

Patriot Services
01-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Its free and I did post my limited mixed experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
01-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Good advice guys I got to talking to a local pest control co. last year, small 2 trucks and roughly 700 customers we exchanged cards, turns out he takes care of a few of my accounts. I got a friend thats in sales for True Green says he can get me good accounts but I kinda doubt he can we'll see this year how everything goes.

Word of mouth has been my best advertising so far too.

Patriot Services
01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
No offense to your TG friend. I am largely unimpressed with the work they do on my customers yards and in my neighborhood. I swear it's blue water and cat litter they put down.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
No offense to your TG friend. I am largely unimpressed with the work they do on my customers yards and in my neighborhood. I swear it's blue water and cat litter they put down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Totally agree, sometimes I think they forget the cat litter LOL.

Lefet
01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, last year they had nutsedge running wild in some of my yards.

Lefet
01-24-2011, 06:40 PM
And they were being charged a nice piece of change!

Landscape Poet
01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have to agree too SFL. Just something to think about. Most often it seems TG's success is hit and miss and people know this. The ones that seem to go with them year after year are the ones that are most concerned about price or only call after they have a chinch bug invasion. They do not tend to be the ones that are going to care what you can do for their property, they only care about price. Now will your TG be able to help get your name out, for sure, but just be prepared to take the customers in stride.
Take your time finding a good chemical company that YOU like. Most likely if they are consistently doing good work, they are not paying their techs **** wages, and are applying the proper nutrients and their price will reflect it. The customer that does not paying for quality will be with you longer........also when you recommend them to existing clients....your name does not go out the window nearly as often as they will be less likely to screw up than a TG guy.

Just my thoughts. But you are heading in the right direction....any networking is good networking.

South Florida Lawns
01-25-2011, 05:40 PM
I think one of my bigger problems is my price, I'm too high. I have a friend that got out of lawn care due to health reasons and he had prices on the high end too, however he was great at selling his services and made it look like the customer was getting a lot for the money. He did excellent work retained customers made money. I am full service and keep up on all my accounts, however I need to get better at selling services to people that are just price shopping.

fl-landscapes
01-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I think one of my bigger problems is my price, I'm too high. I have a friend that got out of lawn care due to health reasons and he had prices on the high end too, however he was great at selling his services and made it look like the customer was getting a lot for the money. He did excellent work retained customers made money. I am full service and keep up on all my accounts, however I need to get better at selling services to people that are just price shopping.

heres your first mistake, people who are cheap are cheap and you wont change them, move on and dont waste your time because there are plenty of people willing to pay for quality work.

South Florida Lawns
01-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Well what I meant was to get those people to spend money and up sell them.

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I just found an annoying new twist on advertising. I came out of Walmart to hear a familiar alarm blaring. Some doosh from Liberty tax services was posting these little sticky notes on everybodys side window. He was slapping cars so hard him and his buddy were setting off alarms. I had a chat with the walmart manager. Seemd they frown on this practice too. Just had to vent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
01-26-2011, 05:00 PM
heres your first mistake, people who are cheap are cheap and you wont change them, move on and dont waste your time because there are plenty of people willing to pay for quality work.

Bingo. I don't even bother with these types bc they will beat you up on any service you try to offer them. Best thing is to let the lowballers deal with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
01-26-2011, 11:32 PM
You don't want Customers............You want Good Customers.

I think this is where beginners and Large companies get in trouble. They take everyone as a customer. There are a bunch of Cheap people out there who don't want to pay the going rate and they want Disneyland results. Your real job as a salesman is to QUALIFY the customer.

I have multiply Credentials Framed on the wall above my Desk. But what makes me a real professional is my willing to use two Phrases. The First is ""I don't Know"" some times followed by I will try and find out for you. The Second is a simple ""NO"". Of course my point being we can't know everything and we can't make everyone happy so why deal with the PITA.

Landscape Poet
01-27-2011, 07:06 AM

I think this is where beginners and Large companies get in trouble. They take everyone as a customer. There are a bunch of Cheap people out there who don't want to pay the going rate and they want Disneyland results. Your real job as a salesman is to QUALIFY the customer.

I have multiply Credentials Framed on the wall above my Desk. But what makes me a real professional is my willing to use two Phrases. The First is ""I don't Know"" some times followed by I will try and find out for you. The Second is a simple ""NO"". Of course my point being we can't know everything and we can't make everyone happy so why deal with the PITA.

Good Points

zturncutter
01-27-2011, 08:15 AM

I wish I would have gotten this through my :hammerhead:THICK HEAD:hammerhead: a few years earlier than I did. It would have saved me a ton of grief.

Ric
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I wish I would have gotten this through my :hammerhead:THICK HEAD:hammerhead: a few years earlier than I did. It would have saved me a ton of grief.

I was telling Fl Landscape who first made this point. My realization came during an estimate. Many years ago I gave an (Cheap) estimate and the customer had a fit. She kept asking me questions as to why the price etc and if I took out this and that etc. She Finally agree to give me job and that was exactly when I came to my senses. I quickly told her ""I am sorry but I won't do your job because you think the price is too high and will expect perfect work"" Best thing I ever did because she would have been a real PITA.

I have the new owner but I just lost one of my best customers to a house sale. I can't say we never had a problem. Fact is I sprayed her shrubs and messed up a fresh paint job. But what made her a great customer was attitude she had about the problem. Of course I admitted fault and Yes it cost me money but customer's cost and it is better to give a little to keep a good one than to try and replace them.

Frank's Lawn Care
02-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Yard signs don't work! And the good areas have a cleanup guy that carts everyday and picks them all up. The best thing i've used was fllers so far. Cost is cheap and i though them as i drive by,can do 500 an hr in a big sub. In 3 month i got 50 accounts. If you new keep the good and bad ones and weed them out in the winter. Unless your losing money ,let them go.
Here in jax there's a flier guy(business name). Think he will design print and hand deliver fliers for i think .07 ea. He said theres other out there doing the same,just not here.
I'm at 25-30 cuts a week my first yr an stopped doing fliers early. This yr trying to bump to 50 cuts a week. Better savings to make a better winter.