PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

lyndont
01-24-2011, 03:08 AM
I am going on my 2nd year and I currently still have a 9 to 5 job and last year I did what I could after work and on my 2 days off. I was able to do it and keep the people I had happy. I have a chance to go to the night shift which is 4 to midnight and was thinking about taking it because I feel like if I letter my truck and advertise more this year I could probably take on more work but my wife wouldn't be able to work near as much because we have 2 kids under 4 and don't want to pay daycare for two kids. Right now she waits tables from 5 til 9 at night and I watch the kids while she works. I can't decide if it would be better for me to do that or just keep things the way they are right now for one more year so I can get my name known a little more. What would you guys do?
Posted via Mobile Device

Baytownlawncare
01-24-2011, 08:13 AM
You sound like me. I am also starting my second year. I work nights as a pharmacy technician. I do night shift work. Work a week off a week. So I have a solid week to mow yards. The tough part is mowing grass when I get off from my night shift. I sometimes wonder if my quality suffers on those days due to my tiredness. I have no option but to keep my current job due to health insurance. My wife does not work so I am the sole provider income and insurance. I am thinking of cutting my hours from 80 per work week to 64 which will still keep me full time. Night shift sounds like a good idea but keep in mind sleep is important. I guess if you can get your yards cut before 4 and get a good nights sleep after midnight it may be doable. Make time for family also. I have found that working so much makes family life suffer. I always make plans and inform the family of the day to do something fun. Good luck!

ShooterK2
01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
You could definately take on more work with that schedule, but it would be at the expense of never seeing your family or even sleeping. Don't do what I did years ago and put your family on the back burner. Work will ALWAYS be there. Your family may not.

My advice is to enjoy every second with your kids while they are still young. You can never get that time back, and you WILL regret it later if you miss it.

Just my $.02

Landrus2
01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
This is going to upset lots of people look at it this way its hard for people to find one job and you want to jobs, lets keep it respectful:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

ProcsLC
01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Not knowing your current customer base or anything like that, but have been in the same situation as yourself previously... I worked 3-11 as a mechanic fixing cars for years.. The B shift hours where great for doing lawns in the morning... However, I found myself turning down or putting off jobs til the weekend that would go over 3pm when I had to "go to work"... Instead of just banging them out and working till 5 or 6 at night... So the trade of really wasn't working... I was working the late shift but was NOT more productive then my prior year in the business... Also, being the sole provider for my wife and 2 kids... Covering the medical costs... All of it was on me as well... SO... I talked with my wife and asked her what she wanted me to do... Keep mowing part time or drop the mechanic gig and pursue this full time...

After a few weeks of talking this out with her... We made a game plan, if we were going to work this hard in life it was going to be for ourselves and not someone else... I quit the mechanic routine and invested all my efforts into my lawncare business half way through my 2nd year... She stayed at home with the kids and worked the business from home... Making follow up calls, booking estimates, doing the bills... etc. I was out working from sun up to sun down.... Haven't looked back yet and I find myself making more money, having a stronger relationship with my wife... And yet even MORE time with my kids... When you start dictating your schedule and stop letting other's do it for you... You will be amazed at how much time you can make for what's important to you... My advice, if your 100% committed to your business, then run with it and don't look back... If you want it bad enough, then it will happen...

Hope this helps and best of luck to you with your decision....

MOturkey
01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Tough call. Remember that in the summer, you can mow until 8:00 PM or after, and for me, at least, it would be much easier to work a day job, mow until dark, then hit the sack, instead of the other way around.

WheatBookkeeping
05-04-2011, 07:12 PM
You guys are to be commended for your dedication and desire to work hard for what you want. Good luck to you all.