PDA

View Full Version : Grass Clipping Hopper Idea

Premier landscaping south
01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I need some advice/ideas about my grass clipping dilemma.

I use a 42" walker and collect clippings at 80% of my stops and can get rid of most of those clippings at various stops through out the week. Although I usually end up with a good amount to take to the landfill every week.

I pull a 6' x 12' tandem axle trailer with 2' raised sides.

I used the large plastic bags I purchased from a Walker dealer last year. Worked well but expensive and lifting the bags from the ground to the back of my truck was a pain in the back!

I was thinking of building a hopper that would have 4 wheels and removable sides that would be secured to the front area of my trailer. When the walker is full just back up trailer and dump clippings into the hopper and back to mowing.

When I get to the landfill I would roll the hopper out of the trailer and remove sides and use a pick or other hand tool remove clippings from hopper.

Concerns:
1. Would have to build hopper as low as possible to fit as much clipping as possible and still have enough clearance to prevent bottoming out when rolling from top of trailer on to gate.

2. Being able to pull full hopper out by myself.

3. having to remove tarp and re tarp every stop. Could make a custom size tarp to fit over clippings.

4. My Walker is having engine replaced now so I cannot measure the height of the GHS at the low end. I believe it is somewhere around 20". So with that said the height of the trailer hopper could not be to tall so that limits the amount of clipping I can dump into trailer hopper unless I build a small ramp to drive onto in order to raise the Walker higher than the trailer hopper.

Anybody scene something like this or have any good ideas on this subject?
Thanks

Jason Rose
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I think the wheels under your hopper/cart would have to be pretty large just to handle te weight and be able to roll on the trailer gate off onto dirt. That there would make the bottom of the hopper pretty high off the ground, you wouldn't be able to have a very tall front side to it to be able to dump it out cleanly. You are right, in order to dump the whole contents out you really need to be dumping onto the ground, or at the same height as what the mower is sitting on. Dumping directly on the trailer would be easier, until you needed to unload it. then you would have to use a pitch fork. FUN!

I use the dump bins that slide into the hopper, most of the time anyway. The hopper still has to be dumped after pulling them out though because of how much is left in there. I dump my clippings into the bed of the truck, dump bed. There's no 100% good solution for mowers that are designed to dump on the ground. Just a fact of life with them. Many people have devised methods that work for them but wouldn't work at all for the next guy. The walker high-dump is a solution for getting the hopper up high enough to dump, and you could dump it into your truck with it. But the lift kit adds so much weight to the rear of the machine it makes it very hard to maneuver even on flat ground and you can forget about doing hills and ditches.

What's really bad is that walker no longer makes the dump bin inserts, for the new style box anyway. So when it comes time for me to upgrade again I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board as well...

CircleC
01-24-2011, 04:07 PM
I also collect about 90% of my clippings and this is what I do.....I have a 7x16 ft open trailer and put a 15x20 ft tarp on the front of the trailer. 1st stop of the day when I unload my navigator I spread the tarp out. Once the hopper is full I backup on the trailer and dump and just keep going. When I'm done at that stop I bundle up the tarp so the clippings dont go flying everywhere and move on. Some stops you dont need to spread tarp because hopper isnt full. At the end of the day I hit the grass dump.

At the grass dump I just unload mower and pull tarp off the trailer. Sometimes the tarp can get heavy but you just need to put some back into it and it works out fine. Blow the trailer or extra clippings off with you blower and your off. 5 minutes....you will unload faster than some D-Bag shoveling. It sure beats shoveling from your truck bed. You can do the same thing out of the back of your truck if you so choose. Just pull the tarp out...It really gets heavy if you go a few days without dumping or you let it stay to long and get stinky.

I WILL NEVER BUY BAGS TO JUST THROW THEM OUT AT THE LANDFILL...NOT ONLY ARE YOU PAYING FOR BAGS BUT YOUR PAYING TO THROW THEM AWAY AT THE LANDFILL! THAT IS JUST THROWING MONEY AWAY!!! I CANT STAND WHEN GUYS DO THAT...I JUST WANNA PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE FOR WASTING MONEY!!!

Hope that helps!

flatlander42
01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I just use a ~30 gal tote and dump into that. It takes two trips with the large navigator hopper. I throw it in the truck and use a "loadhandler" to unload at the dump every few days.

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
If your going to build something like that, make it dumpable or flippable. It would be pointless to dump onto something like that and then have to unload it by hand.
It would be the same as dumping on the trailer and pitch forking it off.
I have his same dilema. I though of building a steel bin that hindges on one side of the trailer. Could make it like a side dump with a cylinder or have it where you could hook a rope to the other side and pull it over with a mower. Just an idea
Posted via Mobile Device

chavezw16
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
why dont you rig up a load handler to the front portion of your trailer, then when your hopper is full you back up the trailer dump and go. when you get to the landfill just crank the grass off tour trailer, of course you may hve to build some sort of removable door on the side of the trailer but i think it would be worth it.

brianslawncare
01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
how about building a dump box on the front of the trailer? remove one of the sides and build it. or maybe on the v in the front ? go in the forms and look under pictures their is a landscaper from california who built a dump box on his trailer. he got a old 18 foot car trailer and put the box on the rear and built a gate in front for his mowers. it was a great idea and his work was excellent. i thinking of doing that in the future.

Premier landscaping south
01-24-2011, 07:02 PM
why dont you rig up a load handler to the front portion of your trailer, then when your hopper is full you back up the trailer dump and go. when you get to the landfill just crank the grass off tour trailer, of course you may hve to build some sort of removable door on the side of the trailer but i think it would be worth it.

I like that idea. Maybe build a removable wood divider across the width of the trailer 4 feet from the front. So I would have a 4'X6'X2' area to dump in. That would roughly be the same area as a pick up truck box. Hinge the trailer side either at the bottom or one side. My trailer vibrates allot when it is empty so I would have to have the "door" secured well after I modifications.

I still want to be able to use the trailer for hauling mulch, leaves, debris and more mowers in the future. So building a permanent box is not the route I want to take.

I would imagine the handle of the loadmaster and the mechanism would have to be mounted on the outside of the trailer. hmmm something to ponder.

Thanks for all the input. I am going to search for pics after I get my chit-lens fed and off to bed.

h2oskier
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
You may want to try one of those mini dumpsters that tilt, put it on the front of your trailer and let it dump off the side. Most waste management companies have these for sale and it may work for your application.

MOW ED
01-24-2011, 08:59 PM
I used to collect clippings years ago and had the solution. I had a gate fabricated for the front of the trailer that was hinged. When I needed to collect and put the clippings somewhere I dropped the gate right to the bumper of my pickup. I backed the Walker to the box and dumped. I had a large tarp in the box bed and when I got to the dump I simply pulled the tarp out and was done. Go to this thread to see a picture with the tailgate removed. It works both ways.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=14342

flatlander42
01-24-2011, 09:02 PM
mo ed-What would you do when the truck would begin to get full?

sedge
01-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I need some advice/ideas about my grass clipping dilemma.

I use a 42" walker and collect clippings at 80% of my stops and can get rid of most of those clippings at various stops through out the week. Although I usually end up with a good amount to take to the landfill every week.

I pull a 6' x 12' tandem axle trailer with 2' raised sides.

I used the large plastic bags I purchased from a Walker dealer last year. Worked well but expensive and lifting the bags from the ground to the back of my truck was a pain in the back!

I was thinking of building a hopper that would have 4 wheels and removable sides that would be secured to the front area of my trailer. When the walker is full just back up trailer and dump clippings into the hopper and back to mowing.

When I get to the landfill I would roll the hopper out of the trailer and remove sides and use a pick or other hand tool remove clippings from hopper.

Concerns:
1. Would have to build hopper as low as possible to fit as much clipping as possible and still have enough clearance to prevent bottoming out when rolling from top of trailer on to gate.

2. Being able to pull full hopper out by myself.

3. having to remove tarp and re tarp every stop. Could make a custom size tarp to fit over clippings.

4. My Walker is having engine replaced now so I cannot measure the height of the GHS at the low end. I believe it is somewhere around 20". So with that said the height of the trailer hopper could not be to tall so that limits the amount of clipping I can dump into trailer hopper unless I build a small ramp to drive onto in order to raise the Walker higher than the trailer hopper.

Anybody scene something like this or have any good ideas on this subject?
Thanks

Here is some advice;

1. Don't do yards that want to be bagged.

If you can't to number 1, then do the following.

Buy a low profile dump trailer or build a ramp to drive your equipment into a regular one. Buy one of these below. Mount it on a swing, and rollers. You roll it front to back depending where you want your grass to go on the trailer, then the swing allows you to pick it up and swing it over the top of the trailer for transport. pretty easy to do. Electric motor runs off your alternator set up with a 120v output.

You would need to build a simple hopper and build up the sides about 12" or so. Pretty easy and works like a charm. :)

tree_hugger
01-24-2011, 09:37 PM
go to a hotel and get one of their laundry carts...they are like 5' tall and have wheels so you could fill it up and roll it off your trailer and just tip it over unload and then your done...just make sure you strap it down good...its probably not the best way but its a cheap way that works

flatlander42
01-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Pics of this setup?

Here is some advice;

1. Don't do yards that want to be bagged.

If you can't to number 1, then do the following.

Buy a low profile dump trailer or build a ramp to drive your equipment into a regular one. Buy one of these below. Mount it on a swing, and rollers. You roll it front to back depending where you want your grass to go on the trailer, then the swing allows you to pick it up and swing it over the top of the trailer for transport. pretty easy to do. Electric motor runs off your alternator set up with a 120v output.

You would need to build a simple hopper and build up the sides about 12" or so. Pretty easy and works like a charm. :)

dishboy
01-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Moving bed. Two tracks, cables electric winch, hit the switch, cables pull your header board across your bed and pushes all the grass off, your done.

sedge
01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Pics of this setup?

No more, lost in a fire. Sorry.

Moving bed. Two tracks, cables electric winch, hit the switch, cables pull your header board across your bed and pushes all the grass off, your done.

Have done them both ways, most like the dump trailer as they can use it for more landscaping type of jobs.

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
I have wanted an ITI ( innovative trailers) Walking floor trailer. If I had 10-20 grand to put in a trailer I would definately purchase one. It even has a chute to load your wheelbarrow
with the touch of a switch...I'm in love with that trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
mo ed-What would you do when the truck would begin to get full?

I have a dump in town where I do most of my work. I would just go there and pull the tarp off. Not much time lost. Even with no extended sides on the truck I could get a bunch of grass in the bed by using a very large tarp so I would be able to cover the grass over the top. It definately is less capacity than putting clippings in the front of the trailer but there gets a point where you have too much tongue weight too. I use the front of the trailer but that is only in the spring when I do a bunch of dethatchings. The sides are 4' high and I have stake pockets on the trailer. The drivers side front of the trailer has a removable side and I just pull the tarp off the side. Thatch is much lighter than wet green grass.

Maple Wood
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a 14ft trailer with a load handler tarp set up. I built wood sides out of 3/4 treated plywood for the prototype. I made a swinging wood door on the drivers side. The load handler is mounted just below that door. I lay the tarp across the bottom and when full of grass or leaves I would just crank it out. I have since rebuilt the trailer to have expanded metal sides. It looks a lot more pro this way. I will try to post some pics later.

Jason Rose
01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Here's my "Clippping hopper" lol.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/26jason79/Trucks%20and%20mowers/Chevy1tondump17.jpg

This dump bed is FILLED daily here. Most lawn guys here have dump bed trucks, you almost can't operate without one. With the volume of clippings we have you can't do more than a few lawns if you just have a standard truck bed to dump into. With the walkers, most of the time I get 2 to 3 dumps per lawn, and these are 10K and under lawns.

ShooterK2
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Jason, do you guys mow weekly up there?

ShooterK2
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Jason, do you guys mow weekly up there in Kansas? And are your lawns mostly Bermuda? I have almost all Bermuda here, but I understand you have some northern grasses as well. I've wished for a truck like that for clippings, but don't know if I could justify it.

Very nice, professional looking truck, by the way.

Oops! Sorry for the double post.

Jason Rose
01-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, weekly on 95% of my properties. The other 5% is weekly until it gets super hot and dry and they just dont need cut that often. Even cutting weekly, in may, june they really should be done every 5 days max.

We are mostly cool season grasses here, TT Tall Fescues but bermuda is rampant and getting worse every year. With every dry and hot summer it takes over more and more. Most lawns don't have any sort of desirable varity of bermuda either. It's what people call "cow pasture bermuda". It grows 6" vertically and 12" horzontally a week! Zoysia is found here too though generally only where it has been planted.

Where we are in Kansas is a horrible place for growing anything... We are smack in the center of being too hot for coll season turf and too cold for warm season turf. We get a mix of both, wether you want it or not. Have to irrigate if you want a real lawn, no sprinklers = lawn of weeds, bermuda, and dirt. Cool season turf grows like it's on crack because it's plenty warm in the spring/summer but can hardly survive the heat in the summer. Bermuda also grows like it's on crack because it's in the 90's to 105 degrees for several months during the summer. but that other 8 months of the year its just brown.

ShooterK2
01-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm actually surprised that so many folks will pay for you to bag and remove clippings. Here, the only customers that want the lawn bagged are the ones with really nice, irrigated Bermuda. All the "junk" lawns just get discharged, so it's cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jason Rose
01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
There is no "extra fee" for bagging. Since bagging is the norm that's what you give a price for. IMO I wouldn't discount for discharging as its often just as much work and time as bagging when you need to double cut, or more, to make it look decent.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Jason, I mow green grass, wht the heck is that brown variety your dump truck is sitting on?:laugh:

Jason Rose
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Haha, that pic was taken in like February! That's my parents place. fescue right where the truck is but prairie grass behind that. That's the perfect truck for about everything lawn care and landscaping, just needs a different engine instead of the no power gas sucking 454!! A cummins would be awesome under the hood! Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

duranlandscaping
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Here's my "Clippping hopper" lol.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/26jason79/Trucks%20and%20mowers/Chevy1tondump17.jpg

This dump bed is FILLED daily here. Most lawn guys here have dump bed trucks, you almost can't operate without one. With the volume of clippings we have you can't do more than a few lawns if you just have a standard truck bed to dump into. With the walkers, most of the time I get 2 to 3 dumps per lawn, and these are 10K and under lawns.

Jason how do you get the grass from the walkers into the back of the truck? Bins, bags? Walkers are great, but I can never thing of a good way to get the clippings into the back of the truck fast.

Mickhippy
01-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Hows this trailer....

Jason Rose
01-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Jason how do you get the grass from the walkers into the back of the truck? Bins, bags? Walkers are great, but I can never thing of a good way to get the clippings into the back of the truck fast.

I use the bin inserts in the hopper as well as the storage totes. Actually this last summer I used the totes/storage bins all the time. they are faster than pulling the bins out of the hopper then having to dump what's left in the hopper. You don't want to pack the hopper full though, it's more than what the bins will hold! The dump bins will wreck your shoulders though! They get HEAVY HEAVY especially if the grass is shorter and or wet!

Frankly I'd go crazy if I had to use only a walker on every lawn. For bigger lawns I use my grasshopper with a 3 bag catcher. those bags are a lot easier to empty into the truck. I'm buying an exmark too, so I may be using that in place of the walker on some days as well... I love the walker, but dumping them is always a lot of work and time consuming. I can get it done pretty quick, but it still takes longer than I want.