PDA

View Full Version : Grass seed question

tjlco
01-24-2011, 01:32 PM
As many of you may have read, I was working on a play are for my kids, so I did a thread on rubber mulch. That are will be fenced, but the rest of the empty lot (next to my house) is cleared. I was thinking bermuda & rye seed. Keep in mind it won't be irrigated, so I'll do it before it rains and hope for the best. Any other seed I'm not aware of?

Ric
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
As many of you may have read, I was working on a play are for my kids, so I did a thread on rubber mulch. That are will be fenced, but the rest of the empty lot (next to my house) is cleared. I was thinking bermuda & rye seed. Keep in mind it won't be irrigated, so I'll do it before it rains and hope for the best. Any other seed I'm not aware of?

tjlco

Bermuda makes an excellent utility turf and will bounce back each spring. However Bahia is a better choice if your soil has a Low pH. It will green up quicker each spring and stand up to cold weather better. Bahia can take a little more shade that Bermuda. Shade is the worst problem for Utility or Common Bermuda. But remember that is low pH soil, Higher pH soil stay away from Bahia it will decline quickly. Fescue will germinate this time of year and loves shade. But Fescue will burn out in our hot summers as will rye which does very well in winter full sun.

Common Bermuda will not germinate until ground temperature reaches 75 to 80 degrees. But Bermuda will have a much higher germination rate than Bahia and should establish very quickly with the summer rains. Pensacola Bahia will germinate and establish much quicker than Argentina Bahia, but has tall seed heads to deal with. Pensacola Bahia is more of a clumping turf while Argentina Bahia is a dense turf that grows lower to the ground. Farmer like Argentina Bahia hay because while it doesn't grow as high it will produce more hay to the acre than Pensacola Bahia.

Other oppositions for ground cover would be Brown Top Millet. Once again it doesn't do well in Florida's summer heat. However Brown top Millet will survive long enough to shade newly germinated Bermuda and help hold mositure in the soil compared to bare ground. One of the problems with newly germinated Bermuda is the soil drying out before the Singular root can grow deep enough to find water. Therefore Timing is important.