PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on price

stevenf
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I have to plant 42 3 gallon plants and 48 4" Dwarf Mondo grass.
Havent done anything this big before. Anyone have a rule of thumb/breakdown on bidding something like this? I have my cost for mulch and bed prep, just stuck on plants....

StihlMechanic
01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I would want $500 labor considering it may take the better part of a day.

Hook and Ladder
01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
When I first came across jobs similar to this I have charged the normal price for the plants and billed according to my hourly labor. The only problem with that is- if you are unsure about how long it will take you- you can short change yourself OR over bid and cause a lower bidder to snag the work. I have also done price x3 to plant. Do what is best for you. Just remember there is always that learning curve and LEARN from it.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-25-2011, 10:26 AM
One thing that can bite you in the butt is how difficult the digging will be. I have done a few large plantings. The very first one, the area turned out to be a couple inches of topsoil then nothing but clay and rock! From then on, when quoting large planting jobs I dig a few test holes to estimate how hard the digging will be.

Barrett Landscaping
01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
also you should think if you are going to warrenty the plants as well.

Think Green
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Steven,
I presume this area has been pre tilled and is irrigated.
Unless you are maintaining this account after planting, then I wouldn't guarantee anything.
If you can't control the outcome of your work, then why bother.

Your price will reflect your product markup, backfill soils, delivery if applicable, time, disposal and labor for planting!!!!!!