PDA

View Full Version : Moving to daytona?

lawnsunlimited6
01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
wanting to move my family and lawn business to daytona area in the future. is this abad idea? were from kentucky we love it there. just scared to start over and lose 15yrs of customers! we install irrigation mow landscape.not wanting to get in the chemical applications to much cost and liability!need some feedback thanks

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Florida has more lawn mowers than grass so you might need to find a niche or demand before you jump,but there is still a ton a of people going out and making it happen.

lawnsunlimited6
01-24-2011, 06:34 PM
what about irrigation install and repairs have vibrator plow and boring attachments thanks

zturncutter
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Are you using poly with the vibratory plow ?

lawnsunlimited6
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
pvcand poly

zturncutter
01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Most systems are trenched and pvc installed, don't know why you could not use a plow though if you wanted to. You can run a stick of PVC with a hose attached through our sand pretty easy, alot of times thats all you need to bore.

lawnsunlimited6
01-24-2011, 07:52 PM
i was wondering how you guys lay pipe .is that a 10ft er or 20ftstick?

zturncutter
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM
20 Footer.

Ric
01-24-2011, 09:44 PM
what about irrigation install and repairs have vibrator plow and boring attachments thanks

Lawnsun

Irrigation licenses are done County to County and each county has a different requirement to sit for the for the test which is given by a outside contractor for the state. With a license from your present state and 3 years Experience you should qualify in most counties to sit for the Irrigation Test. BTW Sarasota County requires 4 years while most other require only 3 years experience. Once you pass the Test and are licensed in one county, other counties will except your Money for there county license

The State Block test is given by Experier Corp (mis-spelled). The Irrigation part of the test is pretty simple. But the Contractor Law proportion is a real bear. Fact is the Contractor Law is the only test I ever failed and had to retake.

Given you can get a Irrigation license, I feel you can do OK. Construction work is way down but Repair work has always been better pay.

One of the big problems in my county is the greed of low balling Irrigation contractors. $ 1100 city water hook ups end up being 3 zone gear drives that water the street better than the lawn. After the lawn burns up, I would sell both a Irrigation 7 zone install and a resod job.

One nice thing about Irrigation is the Summer Rainy Season if you don't like super hot weather. Summer will be your slow season because it is the Rainy season, but the rest of the year should be great.

lawnsunlimited6
01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
thanks for the info. low ballers are getting the work here also but not all bad because they die out then we get to repair and re-design

lawnsunlimited6
01-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Mr Lawns Unlimited...this is your wife..being sneaky (you left this on) and Im ready to move to daytona now.. Just think year round work! I will help you just like I do here in Kentucky minus 3 days a week to lay on the beach :) I know we can make it! We are both hard workers..and perfectionists.. I think we would be better off in Fl...we only get to work 6 months out of the year here..LETS GO!!! Love ya ..hahahahha

Ric
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Mr Lawns Unlimited...this is your wife..being sneaky (you left this on) and Im ready to move to daytona now.. Just think year round work! I will help you just like I do here in Kentucky minus 3 days a week to lay on the beach :) I know we can make it! We are both hard workers..and perfectionists.. I think we would be better off in Fl...we only get to work 6 months out of the year here..LETS GO!!! Love ya ..hahahahha

Hello Wife

May I suggest a trip to Florida first to survey the land and check out the Licensing situation. Hopeful you have some support here in Florida. A big factor to your success is Qualifying and Passing the Law Proposition of the irrigation contractor test. BTW A clean credit record is part of qualifying. I have 3 different college degrees and even taught some college classes. The only test I ever failed in my life was the Law proposition of the contractor test and I even went to a test tutorial. The Test is open Book and timed. First time I missed passing by 3 points and I am ashamed to admit second time I only passed by about the same margin.

Fact of life is sometimes the wife is the book worm while the husband is the Mechanic. Don't over look taking the test your self. I know several contractors who's wives are the License holder.

My head Irrigation guy (Rob) forgot more than most know about irrigation. We could call him from the field and tell him our problem or describe the valve giving the problem. He knew the make and model and where get parts. But he could never pass the test.

Yes pass the test and net work with local yard boys to do repair and renovations and you can make a nice living in Florida. But don't pack your bags and make the big move on what I said until you have a Florida License in Hand.

lawnsunlimited6
01-25-2011, 10:00 PM
We go to daytona once a year.Hands on is me, the tests is what worrys me? Shes pretty sharp. Need to keep building the nest egg. thanks for all your info, really appreciate your time, but i have to go load ice melt and fuel up plow truck.ITS SNOWING AGAIN!

Ric
01-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Lawnsun

There are refresher courses for taking the State Block test. Like I said the Irrigation part is very simple, But the Contractor law, OSHA Regulations etc is the bear. This is the same business law test a sky scraper contractor has to take. I am pretty good at taking tests and I this is the only test I had to go for a second try. My suggestion might be to check out local requirement for the county you visit or want to move to. Then get the study material and give it go. Nothing ventured nothing gained.