PDA

View Full Version : Paver basketball court

brentsawyer
09-04-2002, 03:04 PM
I met with a customer yesterday who has a small basketball court in their backyard for her sons. It currently is a concrete slab and is fifteen years old and has serious cracks that need to be be replaced, wouldn't want my kids playing on a court with 1" cracks. This is also an area which she says receives little rain and the water table has sunk considerably over the past few years. Since her house is 100% brick and she loves the look, I thought pavers would be great, however, I was wondering if anyone has used them on a athletic playing surfaces like basketball courts, would hate to build a court that wouldn't bounce a ball straight into the air. If so, what pavers would work the best

LawnLad
09-04-2002, 06:32 PM
It depends on how exacting the play is going to be. Heck, you can play on gravel, it adds some fun to the game. If the court was going to double as a patio - pavers might be nice. But at twice the cost of concrete or more, why not pave it? You have to know the budget and the customers expectations - this should help you to answer if you can install pavers.

Stonehenge
09-04-2002, 08:05 PM
The Unilock plant in Wixom, MI has several full size basketball courts, and I believe they play on them daily.

Installed correctly, there should be no reason you couldn't play ball on pavers.

paul
09-04-2002, 08:55 PM
You should have no problem! you can even make a few more $$ by installing foul lines and free throw markings in off set colors.

I would use Hollandstone as your paver, don't use a textured paver or a tumbled one.

brentsawyer
09-04-2002, 10:25 PM
Cool ideas Paul. Can't thank you guys enough, I'll bring up the foul line idea next week when I meet with her again.

Guido
09-05-2002, 05:00 AM
If your going to use the pavers as a surface to bounce a basketball / run on, you have to pay much extra attention to the base / compaction, etc. Once a paver corner sinks down, that could be a toe catching tripping hazard and a ball bouncing weird off it. I wouldn't reccomend it, but the customer gets what they want, right?

One thing I will suggest (if you plan to install the pavers over the existing concrete) is to seal the cracks in the concrete to keep your material from sinking down through them.

Personally, I would repair the concrete, tack it, and overlay with asphalt for a b-ball court, but like i said before, its what the customer wants and can make you some extra $$.

Good Luck!

AGLA
09-05-2002, 06:22 AM
I would not do it. It is an unconventional surface for a basketball court with possibilities for tripping if something moves. It also is a surface that is much easier to get cut on if (when) someone falls. Ankles and knees get sprained all the time on hoop courts of asphault and hardwood, add in a whole lot of paver joints and we got a law suit.
...just my opinion.

brentsawyer
09-05-2002, 07:40 AM
by the looks of it, the existing concrete will have to be torn up. It is a real mess and the settlement cracks have caused uneven cracks that are up to 1". I don't think that sealing over the existing base will be as suitable as tearing it out and starting over. Additionally, since concrete is not permeable, I believe leaving it down will lead to further deterioation of the site. However, it this is an unnecessary task, I will avoid doing it.

Stonehenge
09-05-2002, 06:25 PM
How often do you get an opportunity to lay a paver b-ball court? This is just me, but I love doing new things, and am always trying to push the envelope. I'd jump on this in a second.

If you want a super-durable base, e-mail me.... (paul, we did a pavers over asphalt drive last month, and I'm telling you, it's the wave of the future.)

dan deutekom
09-05-2002, 06:34 PM
I say go for it! It is only a backyard court not an NBA regulation playing surface. Just pay close attention to your base and grades and I think you will have a unique lockstone installation. This would be a fun project.

steveair
09-05-2002, 08:03 PM
I'm with everyone else and say go for it.

I have a picture somewhere of a court made with pavers. It was at the top of a drive way, and they did the whole foul line and circle with pavers. They used white pavers for all the lines, and blue for inside, with a few other colors. It looks sharp.

I'm sure if you search a few manufacter's sites, you'll find a pic of one somewhere.

steve