PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy dethatcher/aerator for St. Augustine???

Florida Gardener
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
I want to start doing this for customers. I contacted JRCO as they have attachments for my mowers but they told me they don't have much experience with St. Aug...does anyone own these and use them on St Aug???
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I want to start doing this for customers. I contacted JRCO as they have attachments for my mowers but they told me they don't have much experience with St. Aug...does anyone own these and use them on St Aug???
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamond

Best way to screw up a St Augustine lawn is to run a dethatcher over it. You won't have any St Augustine or very little St Augustine Left.

I believe what you want is a Verticutter. BTW You can screw up with a verticutter almost as easy as a dethatcher. But A dethatcher is a sure fire "F" up where a verticutter in the experienced hands can do some good.

Bottom Line This is Verticutting should be left to real professionals.

Florida Gardener
01-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Ric have you verticutted St Aug before?? What about aerating ??
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I do it all the time. You dont want a tine rake de-thatcher. The thatch is obviously not the brown grass you see on top, thats just brown grass, the thatch is below the turf above and incorporated into the very top of the soil surface. SA stolons are far to tough to get through with a tine rake. You need a verticutter to get the thatch out. Be careful though because you can cube up a sa lawn real quick and do more harm then good.

fl-landscapes
01-25-2011, 08:37 AM
oh and I would buy a lwan solutions revitilizer, thats what I have, you want to have a special reel made for st aug because the standard will cause to much damage. I have 3" spacing

Ric
01-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamond

Yep I have Verticut and Aerated very successful. But then I am a Real Professional with all the credentials and licenses.

Fla-landscape is also a professional and his advice about having a St Augustine reel with the proper spacing is super important to doing a good job. I have also found using thinner blades that wear out quicker do a better job of Verticutting. But, Search Ifas.com for more information on Verticutting. You will still mess up your first Verticut unless some one is training you. BTW there can be a lot of work/money in Verticutting if done proper.

Hollow Core there are several different types. I recommend a SPLIT DRUM model for ease of operation especially on very small yards. Solid Drum models take an act of congress to turn. The Polish Dancer or articulating model does a great job but also has more maintenance problems.

Florida Gardener
01-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Ric I want to learn to do this before I do it for a customer. It seems as though you are stating I am not a real pro for some reason. Everyone had to learn at some point and didn't posses all the knowledge they know today. I am obviously not a yard boy bc I am trying to do things the right way. In any case, thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I do it all the time. You dont want a tine rake de-thatcher. The thatch is obviously not the brown grass you see on top, thats just brown grass, the thatch is below the turf above and incorporated into the very top of the soil surface. SA stolons are far to tough to get through with a tine rake. You need a verticutter to get the thatch out. Be careful though because you can cube up a sa lawn real quick and do more harm then good.

FL,

When do you do this? I would guess the only time you could do it and give the turf the best time to recover would be early spring correct? Also are you top dressing after verticutting right away?

Anytime you do it does the lawn not look worse at first because all of the stress you have just put it under, by mean worse I mean for the first few weeks until it recovers and starts spreading again.

Thanks,

Michael

fl-landscapes
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
FL,

When do you do this? I would guess the only time you could do it and give the turf the best time to recover would be early spring correct? Also are you top dressing after verticutting right away?

Anytime you do it does the lawn not look worse at first because all of the stress you have just put it under, by mean worse I mean for the first few weeks until it recovers and starts spreading again.

Thanks,

Michael

1 any time during the growing season is ok. I would say may through sept. is ideal. Our grasses grow quick and recover fast during the rainy season.

2 top dressing after is an option but only if the customer chooses to pay for it. It is a good practice though, especially on the coast with all our sand.

3 When it is done PROPERLY you wouldnt even know it was done. I always recommend my customer be there to see the half a dump truck full of thatch we get out of a lawn because if they didnt see it they wouldnt believe it and maybe wonder what they even paid for. No doubt people butcher thatch jobs and can cause a real mess.