PDA

View Full Version : Stick to Mowing

Bruce's
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I've been in the landscape industry for 8 years now. I started out like most landscapers with mowing yards and over the years I tried to venture out into other areas of work like installs, excavation, tree work, etc. I've grown in those areas as far as jobs per year but at the end of the day I feel like my major money maker is mowing yards. Also I'm a small operation and I've found myself skipping mowing accounts to do an install where my profit margins are just not worth the time it takes. When compared to just mowing. So I guess my question to my fellow landscapers is, How many of you just mow? Do you make a good living just mowing? I'm beginning to think that just mowing lawns and doing small landscape maintenance jobs is bigger business then doing installs especially if you can get commercial, industrial, and municipal accounts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tyner Lawn Service
01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
I like mowing myself with a little landscape work from mowing customers thrown in at times. I hate wasting time on landscape estimates you never get. Usually mowing customers use you for other things and you are right their to bid it. I've never picked up a mowing account from a non customer landscape bid but get work from present mowing customers.

Bruce's
01-25-2011, 09:08 AM
I agree. Landscape jobs seem like good money but for a small operation like myself all the time estimating, etc. just doesn't add up like mowing and side work from mowing clients. thanks for the post.