PDA

View Full Version : How do you get mulch to the job site

cutting image
01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
I have always went to get the mulch from my supplier then went to my customers house and started the job. If I needed more I would start the process over by going back getting more and back to the customers home. This is very time consuming and not very productive leaving and coming back as many times as needed, so my question is for mulch jobs you cant get all the mulch in one trip would you have the supplier deliver all the mulch to the customers home. (thus saving you time and time is money) Do you think this would be unprofessional to have this dump truck come and dump 6, 8, 10 or more yards of mulch in their driveway

betterlawnsandlandscaping
01-25-2011, 12:54 AM
I am assuming your talking about bulk and not bags? It sounds like a good idea but if you end up with too much, then you spend all of the time you saved cleaning up the leftovers.

chris@perfectlawncare
01-25-2011, 07:59 AM
I have a dump trailer. Basically drag the mulch off the tailgate into wheelbarrows, put a tarp under to catch the leftovers. When you're done, go get more. It usually works out -- the guys are tired, so we get some lunch and another load of mulch. If you have too much mulch, you just pack the trailer up and send it on to the next job. No waste, no giant piles on trees.
Posted via Mobile Device

LB1234
01-25-2011, 09:50 AM
my supplier charges me $50 to deliver. wether it be 3 yards or 30 yards. its a no brainer for me to have it delivered. its not just time which is money..its wear & tear on your vehicle you have to look at as well.

Barrett Landscaping
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
it really depends on your setup. If you can say carry 6 or 7 yards between your truck and trailer and do mostly that much then delivery is the best route for those large jobs. however, if you lay 10 or more at a time it would be wise to invest in a dump trailer.

White Gardens
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
I can get 5 yards in my Dump truck and that usually works out well for me on most properties.

The last thing I want to do is shovel mulch or rock off the ground and into a wheelbarrow, so it's labor saving for me just to get it myself and load off the truck. That and like stated above, the last thing I want to do is shovel a yard or two off the pavement if I have too much delivered. I like being able to just leave when the job is done and dump any extra on my leftover pile where I store extra supplies.

The next goal is though to get a dump trailer to supplement the truck, and to be able to haul 10+ yards of mulch at a time, saving trips.

If I ever get big enough, I'm going to invest in a rock-shooter truck and make things that much easier.

deere615
01-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Most of the time its just easier to go get it yourself, as there may be delivery charges, they might not always be on time, there is not a mess left it the street/drive to clean up etc etc Unless you have a huge job You have to figure out what works for you my trailer holds 5-6 if i have a job 20yards or over I usually get it delivered

DixieFerris
01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
We run the Mulch Mule, it rules!

Barefoot James
01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Mini or the big one? Trailer or on truck. How much mulch you moving in a day. What are you using to move mulch from mule to bed. Are you using it for other stuff besides mulch? How much mulch you doing in a year? I want a mule bad but can't afford one - Yet!

Agape
01-28-2011, 02:20 AM
1yrd mulch covers:
324sf at 1 inch
162 sf at 2 inches
108 sf at 3 inches

measure beds as a square at the widest and longest points and divide by the corrosponding depth and you should have a bit extra left over, make your transport plans accordingly.

I have half my beds at home in fir, and half in hemlock (the two most common in my area) so I just freshen either with the leftovers.

Barefoot James
01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey Don - what does agape mean to you and your company - I'm guessing
"Love Lawn"?

A&R Enterprise
01-28-2011, 05:28 PM
I haul it to my job with my dump trailer.It will hold 10 yards of mulch.Even on big jobs it's not bad.After doing the 10 yards ,go get lunch and get more mulch while your out .

tree_hugger
01-28-2011, 08:52 PM
get a bigger trailer...lol

jay albers
01-28-2011, 09:05 PM
no bud, it's not unprofessional to have it dumped. As long as its all cleaned up and looks good when you leave, the customer could care less

knox gsl
01-28-2011, 09:21 PM
I can get 7 yards on my trailer legally, and just fork it off and wheel it to the beds. If the middle of summer in an open area I'll put the trailer to the bed and skip wheeling it around, but that doesn't work well when the ground is soft. I don't really have any properties that I can't do with a single load but have helped on a community project where we spread a little over 100 yards on a Sat. morning last summer.

seabee24
01-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Awwww. F 550, 13 yards at a crack, dump trailer with another 10 yards
Posted via Mobile Device