PDA

View Full Version : Why Spread Sod When It's 40 Degrees ?

LawnMowerKing10
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Today , I was on my way home and saw a local contractor out spreading Sod at the new school being built when it is 40 degrees and going to snow 3 inches tomorrow . Why would you spread sod in the middle of winter ?

JB1
01-25-2011, 05:15 PM
because your up against a deadline and the general says get it done.

Smallaxe
01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Is the ground frozen?

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
We lay sod year-round in mississippi. Never had any problems. We won't lay sod on frozen ground but we lay it all winter
Posted via Mobile Device

NC Greenscaper
01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
We lay it all winter also n NC. Needs alot less water when its dormant.

Barefoot James
01-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Because you can! - that's why it cost so much - it fits in lots of windows of opportunity$$. Should be fine.

MudslinginFX4
01-25-2011, 08:51 PM
should be no problem. the snow will also keep it watered in for a while

Showpropserv
01-26-2011, 12:44 AM
whats the prob the latest one we have done in mn was mid november the high for the day was 30. Turned out great in the spring and yes that sod was frozen

Smallaxe
01-26-2011, 09:05 AM
whats the prob the latest one we have done in mn was mid november the high for the day was 30. Turned out great in the spring and yes that sod was frozen

Now that's pushing the envelope... good to know... and glad to hear it... :)

Jason Rose
01-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I've wondered this myself. I didn't think sod would send roots down while it's dormant... ]

Local high school just a couple blocks from me had sod laid, a LOT of it in mid december. followed by NO water for 2 or 3 weeks. I saw one one warm day a few weeks back they had the irrigation on, but there looked to be broken lines or missing heads as the water was just flowing out of the ground by the sidewalk near the road for several hours. Go low bidder!

I'm curious to see the outcome in april. I don't think it's going to matter much, they won't care for it anyway. What was laid last summer half died by fall because of too much water, than not enough, then letting it get a foot tall before mowing, then cutting at like 2". What a huge waste of MY money!!!

Smallaxe
01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
I've wondered this myself. I didn't think sod would send roots down while it's dormant... ]

Local high school just a couple blocks from me had sod laid, a LOT of it in mid december. followed by NO water for 2 or 3 weeks. I saw one one warm day a few weeks back they had the irrigation on, but there looked to be broken lines or missing heads as the water was just flowing out of the ground by the sidewalk near the road for several hours. Go low bidder!

I'm curious to see the outcome in april. I don't think it's going to matter much, they won't care for it anyway. What was laid last summer half died by fall because of too much water, than not enough, then letting it get a foot tall before mowing, then cutting at like 2". What a huge waste of MY money!!!

Stupid tax sucking 'educators'... even too stupid to know what gov't waste even means... whine for more money... :laugh:

I would start talking as a professional that let's the whole communitee know that there is a better way...

LawnMowerKing10
01-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes , the ground is frozen. Still some snow on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

SLC & IS
01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm surprised they found some, I'm waiting on Virginia sod
and was told they wont be cutting any till the first of March, must have gotten it from the Eastern Shore. Personally don't like shore sod its to sandy and seems to burn out quicker in the summer

grassmasterswilson
01-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Not sure where you are located, but here in NC it gets cold in the winter with some warm days still mixed in. Just because it's cold doesn't mean the roots aren't doing anything. Now it the ground is frozen solid that's another thing. If it's bermuda it will just sit there until it warms up and start growing.

Is it new construction? If so it is a lot cheaper to lay the sod after the crew has been there installing plants and grading the area. They would need to have some type of erosion control regardless. So either rye, sod, or straw.

cgaengineer
01-27-2011, 01:20 PM
If its bermuda it will be fine...