PDA

View Full Version : What a pain

williams lcm
01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I was going to wait till my belts broke before I changed them. They where looking a little rough. I figured if they did break while out mowing I could easily put new ones on. Yeah right!!!! Good thing I did change them in my garage. I could never really do this at a customer house. What a pain to change both belts on my ztr. I want to save money this year and do the work myself. Had to break free bolts and weave belts in tight places. It took about an hour but now I know what it takes to do this. Do you guys change your own belts?

ELS LLC
01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes we change our own belts. We always keep extra belts also. They are a pain to change out but not too bad. Once you do it a few times it gets so much easier. Good luck.

JB1
01-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I was going to wait till my belts broke before I changed them. They where looking a little rough. I figured if they did break while out mowing I could easily put new ones on. Yeah right!!!! Good thing I did change them in my garage. I could never really do this at a customer house. What a pain to change both belts on my ztr. I want to save money this year and do the work myself. Had to break free bolts and weave belts in tight places. It took about an hour but now I know what it takes to do this. Do you guys change your own belts?

now you learned something and know what to do next time, winter is a good time to learn, nobody is that busy now, so dive under and into your mower to see how it ticks.

1993lx172
01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
I do my own belts. I've had the deck drive belt and the deck belt break on me in a yard before and their not to bad to change, it took more time to go to the dealer and get the belt than it did to change them out.

ed2hess
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Not good to wait until belts break because they can tear other things up. Not unusual to tear off the clutch leads.

modedicebox
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Not good to wait until belts break because they can tear other things up. Not unusual to tear off the clutch leads.
This is true, had a hydro belt break and rip the clutch wires out.

MMADDUX
01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I know what you mean I was going to do the same but i needed the belt to get a new one(stupid dealer got me the wrong belt the first time). I will never wait until a belt breaks before replacing it because my belt that runs my hydro will require dropping both hydros out. I dont think i will be doing that in my customers yard.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

CorkscrewWillow
01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I change out my belts when they begin to show signs of wear, and keep the old ones around in case the new ones break catastrophically. I do this on any belts on my mowers, equipment, vehicles, everything. Just make sure you mark the old belts as to which one goes where.

Jason Rose
01-25-2011, 11:04 PM
What brand of mower?

I have a grasshopper midmount and all of the belts can be changed "in the field" pretty easily, and I have changed them all out working at one time or another. They don't fail very often and as much as they cost I have found it's just better to let them ride till they die, lol. I keep all the belts, new ones, in the tool box on the trailer. Worst belt to replace is the deck belt that runs around the spindles but it also has never failed on me, I did replace that one once due to hours if I recall.

My Walker mowers rarely need belts replaced so I never carried any. Lesson learned after I had the main hydro drive belt fail last fall and myself and my helper had to PUSH the damn thing onto the trailer! Belt looked fine when I looked everything over just a few days prior too... Walker belts will be in the tool box this year too!

MMADDUX
01-25-2011, 11:19 PM
What brand of mower?

I have a grasshopper midmount and all of the belts can be changed "in the field" pretty easily, and I have changed them all out working at one time or another. They don't fail very often and as much as they cost I have found it's just better to let them ride till they die, lol. I keep all the belts, new ones, in the tool box on the trailer. Worst belt to replace is the deck belt that runs around the spindles but it also has never failed on me, I did replace that one once due to hours if I recall.

My Walker mowers rarely need belts replaced so I never carried any. Lesson learned after I had the main hydro drive belt fail last fall and myself and my helper had to PUSH the damn thing onto the trailer! Belt looked fine when I looked everything over just a few days prior too... Walker belts will be in the tool box this year too!

I don't know if you were talking to me or williams Ics. But i have a Husquarna 48" walkbehind hydro WHT4817.

Jason Rose
01-25-2011, 11:26 PM
It was actually intended for the OP, Williams.

Good to know about the belt on the husqvarna though. Having to remove the hydro pumps to replace the belt is an absolute engineering failure.

Even Walker mowers, as insanely tight as it is under there, you can replace all the belts with no tools. THAT'S good engineering! *you may need small hands though, lol*

BrunoT
01-29-2011, 01:50 AM
I just assumed it was a given that you learn to do simple repairs like this yourself.

Like the poster above said, in winter when you have time get under your machines and learn how they work. It'll pay off later.

And yes, changing belts would be almost impossible in the field for many machines.

Change them proactively in the off season just to avoid peak season downtime.

Worn pump or drive belts will choose the worst possible place to break. As in at the bottom of a steep hill with difficult access right as it starts to rain. It can even be a safety issue should one go while you're on a slope.