PDA

View Full Version : just brought gravely 34z

Wecutgrass
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Alright well im going to buy my first ztr this weekend and its a gravely 34z. I would like to no everything i should do to the machine to get it ready for this mowing season. I no about buying the bigger tires and all but im wondering if there is anything else i should no. thanks for any input.

BINKY1902
01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Be sure to fill it up with gas...kidding. Congrats on the new Gravely, I know I love my 152Z. I looked at a 34Z at the dealer the other day, that is one heavy duty little machine. I would love to have one as well. I found with my 152 that the stock Gravely high-lifts are the best all-round, especially for all the bahia I have around here. I have a mulch kit on my 152, works great. I know that Accelerator builds a side mount catcher for it, if you do any bagging. Good luck with it this year.

a clear difference lawn
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
If you pm me with your email I can send you the owners manual, parts, manual and engine parts manual in pdf format.

Wecutgrass
01-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Haha thanks man I almost forgot about the gas. And ya ima pm you clear difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
01-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I have to admit these mowers have caught my interest lately. How are they in terms of rutting due to weight? How do they compare with a Wright 32 stander?

Wecutgrass
01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
i heard that all you have to do is get 20x10x10 tires...something like that i have the link saved on my email. besides that they are just fine.

I MOW ALONE
01-25-2011, 11:08 PM
i never had a rutting problem with mine and i still have the stock tire size. what year is your mower wecutgrass and how many hours?

Wecutgrass
01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
i never had a rutting problem with mine and i still have the stock tire size. what year is your mower wecutgrass and how many hours?

350 hours...2008
got it for 3000 bucks.

I MOW ALONE
01-25-2011, 11:30 PM
350 hours...2008
got it for 3000 bucks.

cool you will like the mower.

Wecutgrass
01-25-2011, 11:41 PM
im really excited...all my friends are getting annoyed about how i keep talking about it. haha

orlawncaresvc
01-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Alright well im going to buy my first ztr this weekend and its a gravely 34z. I would like to no everything i should do to the machine to get it ready for this mowing season. I no about buying the bigger tires and all but im wondering if there is anything else i should no. thanks for any input.

I see you went with the gravley mower instead of the exmark phazer. What made you choose the 34z? Price, durability, what? My crew and I are hardcore exmark lovers. We will stick with exmark till we can't mow no more. Congrats on your new mower and best of luck with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
one thing was the price the man with the phased wouldn't go under 3500 And I only wanted to spend 3 grand. I also didn't need that big of a motor so I would of been spending more on gas. Plus I haven't heard one bad thing about the Gravely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 01:14 AM
so i went and picked it up today!
the mower is awesome, the guy who owned it before me took super good care of it, and when i got there to buy it he goes, well i have this mulching kit that i only used once for it, so here ya go, and an extra oil fliter, all around it was pretty awesome and the mower is great! im going to buy the wider tires as soon as my bank account becomes unfrozen because some one stole my idenity so i cant use my bank account currently.

BINKY1902
01-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Post some pics when you get the chance. Congrats on the buy.

a clear difference lawn
01-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Congratulations! You will love this mower vs a walk behind! Here ia a link to the cheapest 20x10x10 turfmasters which I could find on the web. http://brutttires.stores.yahoo.net/catu4si201.html I have ordered from there twice and they where friendly, accurate, and the order shipped quickly - very good customer service. I am not sure what type of grass you cut, but these tires work pretty good on st. augustine and definitely will fit on your stock rims. Another upgrade that you might think about down the road is an ocdc. There are plenty of decent ones out there - here is the one I use. http://www.qwikchute.com/index.html They make one specifially for the 34z which attaches to the deck with two bolts. If you plan on mulching with your new mower you may want to give these blades a try. http://www.tracksplus.com/mower-blades.asp I used the eliminators when I was mulching with my 34z and had very good results. Once again these are just suggestions - as you use your mower more I am sure you will find ways to tweek it to best fit your mowing conditions and needs. I think upgrading and modifying your equipment is one of the fun parts of the job. The 34z has been around quite a while so there are a lot of accessories available for it. Once again, congrats! Be safe and profitable.

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for those links..but what is an ocdc? I see people put suspension seats on them pretty often.
Posted via Mobile Device

lukespapa
01-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for those links..but what is an ocdc? I see people put suspension seats on them pretty often.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I may ask, did you find the mower on craigslist, or some other site? The more I read about the Gravely Compact Pro-34, the more I like it. I just need to find a close-by dealer to get one. And I definitely want the mulch kit. Is this easy enough to install?

Mowingman
01-30-2011, 10:07 AM
That Gravely 34 is a great machine. built like a tank, cuts great, lots of power to mulch, and fits through tight gates. I sold a lot of them when I owned my mower shop.
No reports of rutting in this area. Just change your mowing pattern every oher week and it should not cause ruts. If you install wider tires, you will ruin your trim capabilities, as the tires will be wider than the deck. You will also not be able to get through tight gates with wider tires.

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 11:03 AM
ya but wouldn't it only make it 35 inches wide and I could still get threw 36 inch gates? I'm really excited to use it.
Posted via Mobile Device

outlaw1960
01-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Congratulations! You will love this mower vs a walk behind! Here ia a link to the cheapest 20x10x10 turfmasters which I could find on the web. http://brutttires.stores.yahoo.net/catu4si201.html I have ordered from there twice and they where friendly, accurate, and the order shipped quickly - very good customer service. I am not sure what type of grass you cut, but these tires work pretty good on st. augustine and definitely will fit on your stock rims. Another upgrade that you might think about down the road is an ocdc. There are plenty of decent ones out there - here is the one I use. http://www.qwikchute.com/index.html They make one specifially for the 34z which attaches to the deck with two bolts. If you plan on mulching with your new mower you may want to give these blades a try. http://www.tracksplus.com/mower-blades.asp I used the eliminators when I was mulching with my 34z and had very good results. Once again these are just suggestions - as you use your mower more I am sure you will find ways to tweek it to best fit your mowing conditions and needs. I think upgrading and modifying your equipment is one of the fun parts of the job. The 34z has been around quite a while so there are a lot of accessories available for it. Once again, congrats! Be safe and profitable.

Great post and advice! We need more like this on this site. We are here to help people not deride them on spelling or questions that have been asked numerous times....thank you!

fatboynormmie
01-30-2011, 11:41 AM
That Gravely 34 is a great machine. built like a tank, cuts great, lots of power to mulch, and fits through tight gates. I sold a lot of them when I owned my mower shop.
No reports of rutting in this area. Just change your mowing pattern every oher week and it should not cause ruts. If you install wider tires, you will ruin your trim capabilities, as the tires will be wider than the deck. You will also not be able to get through tight gates with wider tires.

Found larger tires not a problem getting in a 36" gate and the mower in stock trim has a VERY limited trimming capabilities.So the larger tires don't make that much difference IMO. LOVE the wider tires on my machine.

Congrats. on your new mower Wecutgrass!!! Another nice accessory to think about is an accelerator industries 34z grass catcher they have a reg size or 4 cuft or the jumbo 6 cuft.If you call accelerator ask if they have a scratch and dent this will save you some duckets.Also mention Lawnsite and they will probably ship it to you free.

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
O man! Thanks for all of yalls help and advice. I think I'm going to mulch with it for this coming mowing season and then come next winter I'm going to buy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman
01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Most 36" gates around this area are not really 36". They usually measure 35.5" to just under 36".
The fastory mulch kit works great, but it takes around one hour to install, or to take it off. so, for full time mulching it is fine. If you just want to do mulching now and then, they make a discharge cover plate you can use. It attaches with 2 bolts as I recall. you can use wing nuts for quick removal. It will leave a small windrow of grass in thick conditions.

Exact Rototilling
01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Not trying to hi-jack .... but how does this (http://www.gravely.com/Commercial/standon/1934fx/Pages/default.aspx) 34 stander mower compare to the 34 ZTR?

http://www.gravely.com/Commercial/standon/1934fx/FeaturedImages/reg/1.jpg

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Ya..I think I have the mulch plate to..does it work just as well or not really?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman
01-30-2011, 02:15 PM
The cover plate will not give a good mulch job like the mulch kit. In very light mowing conditions, it can leave a pretty good cut. In thick conditions, it will leave a sizeable windrow along the discharge side on each pass, and may leave large clumps. If you work the windrow to the middle of the lawn area, you can then remove the cover plate and blow the windrowed clippings out across the lawn. I would say the cover plate is for occasional use only, not for full time mulching when you want a nice finished look after one pass.

Exact rototilling: The deck on the Gravely 34 Stander, is now the same deck they use on the commercial 34ZTR as I recall. The main difference is you have to stand all day. I have never been a fan of standing all day while I mow. I do believe the 34 stander would be much better on hilly property, as the 34ZTR is very prone to tire spinout on the uphill tire, if you mow across hillsides. this is due to the narrow track width on the ZTR. On the stander, spinout should be less, as you could shift your weight to the uphill side.
I do not have much experience with the Gravely stander machines, as I sold my shop not long after Gravely introduced the standup models.

lukespapa
01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Mowingman, thanks for all of the good info on the Gravely 34. I am down to the Gravely compact pro 34, or the exmark phazer. I have hesitation on the phazer because I have been given conflicting info on whether they will be made anymore. Still researching.

My question to you since you recently sold your store, what did the compact pro 34 sell for? How much is the mulch kit?

Thanks again to you and the other posters for all of the great info.

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
lukespapa,
theres some one on lawnsite right now selling a mulch kit for the gravely...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=338079

Mowingman
01-30-2011, 03:26 PM
The Phazer is an obsolete machine. It is no longer offered. It was not as well built as the Gravely 34 when you compare the two side by side.
I have been out of the sales business since Dec. 2007, so i have no idea of current prices. I am guessing that a mulch kit is probably around $129.00.
A new 34Z is likely around $5000.00. These are just guesses, based on prices I remember from 2007 and factoring in 3 years of price increases.

Mowingman, thanks for all of the good info on the Gravely 34. I am down to the Gravely compact pro 34, or the exmark phazer. I have hesitation on the phazer because I have been given conflicting info on whether they will be made anymore. Still researching.

My question to you since you recently sold your store, what did the compact pro 34 sell for? How much is the mulch kit?

Thanks again to you and the other posters for all of the great info.

Mowingman
01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
That is just the baffle, not the whole kit. The KIT, includes blades, and nuts and bolts for attaching the baffle. His asking price is too high if blades and other hardware are not included.

lukespapa,
theres some one on lawnsite right now selling a mulch kit for the gravely...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=338079

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I think ima go buy those blades shown above as soon as my bank account becomes unfrozen, and buy the tires. I'm about to install the baffles
Posted via Mobile Device

a clear difference lawn
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

ocdc is operator controlled discharge chute - if you plan on mulching you won't have to worry about one. I side discharge so it helps me to keep grass off cars out of flower beds etc. They just began offering a suspension seat for the 34 last month. My dealer had to call gravely to cofirm. The gravely part # is 77205500 and the cost is $225.

lukespapa
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Another question to all of you here since a ZTR is all new to me. Is there anything within the fuel system of these machines that is susceptible to ethanol in the gasoline? The reason I ask is my Honda walk behind had to have the carb rebuilt because the ethanol destroyed the soft goods in the carb. I now use a stabilizer in the gas I purchase.

Are there similar potential problems for the Gravely Pro 34?

fatboynormmie
01-30-2011, 04:25 PM
That is just the baffle, not the whole kit. The KIT, includes blades, and nuts and bolts for attaching the baffle. His asking price is too high if blades and other hardware are not included.

The hardware does come with the baffle they are actually attached in the tabs in the pics it's just hard to see.I never got blades with the kit.The baffle and hardware were given to me new in the box without blades in the purchase of my used unit.Just wanted to clarify.Thanks for the bump Wecutgrass.Was figuring 50.oo for baffle and hardware and 25.oo for shipping anywhere lower 48 . Sorry for the hi jacking Wecutgrass

Wecutgrass
01-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Its all good man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
01-31-2011, 08:08 AM
also what type of gas should I be running threw it...does the ethanol effet this machine?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Post some pics when you get the chance. Congrats on the buy.

hey ill throw up some pics when i get home today, i didnt see you asked for some, my bad.

Wecutgrass
01-31-2011, 10:25 AM

so i went to go and buy the blades today but this is what i found...
http://www.tracksplus.com/gravely_mower_blades.htm
theres none for a 34" deck...did i go to the wrong part of the site to find them?
thanks for any help.

Wecutgrass
01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Not trying to hi-jack .... but how does this (http://www.gravely.com/Commercial/standon/1934fx/Pages/default.aspx) 34 stander mower compare to the 34 ZTR?

http://www.gravely.com/Commercial/standon/1934fx/FeaturedImages/reg/1.jpg

if you want one of those...this looks like a really good one
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=312344

Mowingman
01-31-2011, 02:05 PM
I have never heard of that outfit. Get your dealer to find you some aftermarket blades at someplace like Oregon, or Rotary, or Stens.

Wecutgrass
01-31-2011, 02:39 PM
I mow alone was saying there really good.
Posted via Mobile Device

a clear difference lawn
01-31-2011, 03:25 PM
so i went to go and buy the blades today but this is what i found...
http://www.tracksplus.com/gravely_mower_blades.htm
theres none for a 34" deck...did i go to the wrong part of the site to find them?
thanks for any help.

http://www.tracksplus.com/CP1363063A000R.htm This blade fits the 34z perfectly. 17" length with 5/8 center hole. I just ran out to the garage and took a quick pic. Gravely oem high lift baldes on the bottom - eliminators on the top.

lukespapa
01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Clear difference...based on all of the good info you and others have provided here, I plan on buying my Compact Pro 34 this Friday. I have spoken with a local dealer and he has them in stock. Will also have the mulch kit installed.

Any advice you can give me to look for when I go and pick it up would be most appreciated. I will post pictures hopefully this weekend when I get it home. Really excited about getting this mower.

a clear difference lawn
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Clear difference...based on all of the good info you and others have provided here, I plan on buying my Compact Pro 34 this Friday. I have spoken with a local dealer and he has them in stock. Will also have the mulch kit installed.

Any advice you can give me to look for when I go and pick it up would be most appreciated. I will post pictures hopefully this weekend when I get it home. Really excited about getting this mower.

Congratulations! The dealer has a setup checklist that they usually include with the paperwork. It is pretty comprehensive covering everything from hydro and motor oil to deck leveling etc. I would make sure they have checked everything off. Also, I would start the mower, run it , and engage the blades for a minute or two listening for anything unusual before I put it on the trailer. Finally, my dealer does the warranty paperwork for all new machines they sell, so everything was taken care of for me. If you plan on registering your machine and initiating the warranty yourself, make sure you get the dealer # because you need to enter it during the registration. Best of luck to you and enjoy your new mower.

lifetree
01-31-2011, 10:32 PM
... A new 34Z is likely around $5000.00. ...

A dealer last year told me that the 34" ZTR listed for $ 5,650, however, he would let me have it for $ 5,300 !!

lifetree
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
... Get your dealer to find you some aftermarket blades at someplace like Oregon, or Rotary, or Stens.

On my 34Z I use after market blades ... Stens notched air lift blades ... the link below is on eBay !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gravely-888015-High-Lift-Hi-Lift-Lawn-Mower-Blade-3-Pk-/280547114284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4151e93d2c

lukespapa
01-31-2011, 10:41 PM
On my 34Z I use after market blades ... Stens notched air lift blades !!

So the blades that come with the factory mulch kit are not 'notched air lift blades'? Should I not get the factory mulch kit?

lifetree
01-31-2011, 10:49 PM
So the blades that come with the factory mulch kit are not 'notched air lift blades'? Should I not get the factory mulch kit?

The Stens blades that I use are specifically designed for ultra high lift under the deck when you discharge ... they create significantly more air flow under the deck !!

lifetree
01-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Wecutgrass -- Be sure to post pictures of your machine !!

BINKY1902
02-01-2011, 01:22 AM
On my Gravely mulch kit that I bought last year, the blades that come with it are homeowner blades. They are the two level blade, or the classic homeowner mulch blade, and are very thin. I am very happy with the mulch kit, but the blades that come with it are worthless. I threw them on my scrap metal pile. I think the kit works with some of the homeowner decks, so I guess they just send them with the crappy blades. I also use the high lift toothed blades.

lukespapa
02-01-2011, 07:30 AM
On my Gravely mulch kit that I bought last year, the blades that come with it are homeowner blades. They are the two level blade, or the classic homeowner mulch blade, and are very thin. I am very happy with the mulch kit, but the blades that come with it are worthless. I threw them on my scrap metal pile. I think the kit works with some of the homeowner decks, so I guess they just send them with the crappy blades. I also use the high lift toothed blades.

So my question: Is it worth having the dealer install the mulch kit? Are the blades easy enough to change once I have the unit home? Maybe I can ask the dealer if he has the 'high lift toothed blades'?

Mowingman
02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
If you have a way to lift up the mower so you can crawl under it to install the mulch kit, then just do it yourself. It is a simple process, just takes maybe an hour to get it all secured in place. The blades are a "thin" type blade, but work well. Unless you are in really sandy ground, they actually last quite a while. The type of blade with the "tooth" ends, is not they blade this kit is designed to work with. although, that type of blade might work. Just check whatever aftermarket blades you use to make sure they do not hit the mulch baffles as they spin. Better to spin them by hand for a test, than to find out when they are spinning at mowing speed.

lukespapa
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
If you have a way to lift up the mower so you can crawl under it to install the mulch kit, then just do it yourself. It is a simple process, just takes maybe an hour to get it all secured in place. The blades are a "thin" type blade, but work well. Unless you are in really sandy ground, they actually last quite a while. The type of blade with the "tooth" ends, is not they blade this kit is designed to work with. although, that type of blade might work. Just check whatever aftermarket blades you use to make sure they do not hit the mulch baffles as they spin. Better to spin them by hand for a test, than to find out when they are spinning at mowing speed.

Thanks for this. The dealer will install them at no installation charge, so I am just going to let them put the stock kit on. BTW, are you in part of Texas with the snow & ice?

Mowingman
02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Yes, we got ice and snow last night and early this morning. Maybe 2 or 3 inches total, but the wind is whipping it into small drifts. Currently here at the house, it is 12 degrees and the wind chill makes it feel a lot colder. Winds are gusting to about 30MPH.
There will not be much yardwork done around here for a week or so. A lot of companies are still doing final leaf cleanups. Not this week!!!

BINKY1902
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
So my question: Is it worth having the dealer install the mulch kit? Are the blades easy enough to change once I have the unit home? Maybe I can ask the dealer if he has the 'high lift toothed blades'?

If they do it for free you might as well let them put it on. It is a simple install though, just jack it up enough for clearance, and bolt it up. The problem with the blades that come with it is that they have no lift. I ran them for one pass and they couldn't pull up the leaves and pine straw enough to cut them. I then put the toothed high lifts on and it turned it to dust. I also tried to cut some grass/leaves mix last spring with the mulching blades that come with the kit, and that was almost comical, and after the third pass I still had grass sticking up. I was actually out mulching up a yard about two miles from my home, loaded up the mower, went home and changed out blades to the high lift gators, and went back and finished with one pass. It may be a good thing if you put the kit on yourself, because you will probably want to take it off and discharge this spring. I think you'll be happy with the kit, because it trully works great, but you'll have to find the blade that works for you. I've tried about five different combinations on mine, and finally found what works the best for me.

cvcook
02-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Yes, we got ice and snow last night and early this morning. Maybe 2 or 3 inches total, but the wind is whipping it into small drifts. Currently here at the house, it is 12 degrees and the wind chill makes it feel a lot colder. Winds are gusting to about 30MPH.
There will not be much yardwork done around here for a week or so. A lot of companies are still doing final leaf cleanups. Not this week!!!

Where in Tx are you? that's the excact weather we're having here!

Mowingman
02-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I am in Denton Tx

Where in Tx are you? that's the excact weather we're having here!

cvcook
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Damn, your'e 300+ miles away from here. guess there's no escaping the bitter cold in Tx today!:laugh:

Wecutgrass
02-01-2011, 03:22 PM
well my email is being really lame and is not telling me when i get new post on this thread... but here are the pictures!!
this is what i go out with everyday to mow..the hand helds are in the truck bed, and my 36" scag is just waiting to be sold in my shed.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2eyi2a8.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2mra0y8.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/4lhmjl.jpg
and this is my pride and joy pulling my rig (:
http://i55.tinypic.com/15gwf4l.jpg

Wecutgrass
02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
im glad all these people are buying these gravelys...and ya i put my mulch kit on my self, it wasnt hard at all, i used those cinderblocks in the front of my trailer to jack up the front of the mower, and just put it on.

fatboynormmie
02-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey Wecutgrass nice score .I see it has the upgraded fuel change over valve located by the tank instead of the old system where it was mounted on the heel panel under the seat.I also saw your foam grips on the handles were starting to chunk out on you . Mine did the same thing so I went to an electronic parts store and purchased some large heat shrink tube .Slid it over the foam and ran a heat gun over it.Worked awesome and no more chunking.

Just a heads up with the hrs on unit a valve adjustment and hydro oil change should have been done.Do you know if the previous owner did it.

Wecutgrass
02-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes sir he told me that he had indeed changed and I asked him what type of hydro fluid he used And he told me the type the gravely dealer had given him..so ill just ask the dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device

lifetree
02-01-2011, 09:14 PM
... Just a heads up with the hrs on unit a valve adjustment and hydro oil change should have been done. ...

fatboy -- Could you please explain in more detail what you mean about the valve adjustment that you mentioned at a certain number of hours ??

lukespapa
02-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Mowingman [or anyone], I asked this question before: Are there any issues with using ethanol in gasoline in this unit? Do you need to use a stabilizer in the gas? Thanks.

BTW, anyone else have an issue with this site with the display fitting within the browser window?

fatboynormmie
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
fatboy -- Could you please explain in more detail what you mean about the valve adjustment that you mentioned at a certain number of hours ??

Hey lifetree the valve adj pertains to the kawasaki engine not the hydro system .Sorry for any confusion.Recommended interval is 300 hr mark .Bring each cylinder up to TDC (one at a time) pull the valve cover(aluminum cover between air cleaner and sparkplug)should have (OHV)on cover .Adjust both rockers between .004-.006 with feeler gauges.I generally split the diff and use .005 for my adj. Be careful when pulling valve cover off because theres a gasket between cover and engine.I generally loosen the two 10mm bolts alittle that hold the valve cover on and knock the valve cover side to side lightly with the ratchet .Then loosen the bolts alittle more and see if the gasket separated off engine block.If not then I tap it a couple more times.Ive had good luck with my method. If the gasket stay's intact no need to replace it.Once that sides done bring the other cylinder to TDC and repeat for that side.Repair manuals can be found on the web for free.Hope this helps

Mowingman
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
There are issues about using ethanol gasoline in EVERY gas-powered machine. The stuff is just plain bad for engines. However, the engine is designed to operate on the gasoline available today with the ethanol. I recommend using a good gas treatment additive, like Stabil, all the time, not just when the machine is in storage for the winter.
Also, as to the valve adjustment. It may be recommended, but 99.9% of the folks using this engine never do the adjustment, with no negative results. I can nort think of anyone who bought a mower from me in the 5 years I sold macihines, ever asking for a valve adjustment on any brand of air-cooled engine.

cvcook
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
There are issues about using ethanol gasoline in EVERY gas-powered machine. The stuff is just plain bad for engines. However, the engine is designed to operate on the gasoline available today with the ethanol. I recommend using a good gas treatment additive, like Stabil, all the time, not just when the machine is in storage for the winter.
Also, as to the valve adjustment. It may be recommended, but 99.9% of the folks using this engine never do the adjustment, with no negative results. I can nort think of anyone who bought a mower from me in the 5 years I sold macihines, ever asking for a valve adjustment on any brand of air-cooled engine.

My lazer and phazer both have around 1800 hrs each with Kawasaki motors and neither has had the valves adjusted. both still run great

fatboynormmie
02-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Thanks Mowingman I just ripped that page out of my service manual and filed it in the trash.

fatboynormmie
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
My lazer and phazer both have around 1800 hrs each with Kawasaki motors and neither has had the valves adjusted. both still run great

That awesome they still run great.I'm wondering if you would pick up some extra power if the were put back in spec.Through heat cycles and wear tolerances change.It's your equipment do what you like. I didn't pull this info out of my butt it came from Kawasaki and I think they know a few things about there own engines.

Wecutgrass
02-02-2011, 12:37 AM
well what do yall think about the pics i uploaded...sorry aboutt the size.

cvcook
02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
well what do yall think about the pics i uploaded...sorry aboutt the size.

Looks good, I'm really looking into one. could you please post a pic of the height adjustment indicator? the only thing i don't like is they cut is in 1/2 inch increments and was wondering if an extra hole could be drilled between each one to make them 1/4" increments. normally I don't care, but on some residentials it makes a difference

Wecutgrass
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Looks good, I'm really looking into one. could you please post a pic of the height adjustment indicator? the only thing i don't like is they cut is in 1/2 inch increments and was wondering if an extra hole could be drilled between each one to make them 1/4" increments. normally I don't care, but on some residentials it makes a difference

ya ill go run out real quick and take a pic of it and post it.

Wecutgrass
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
here ya go, id say three def enough space to drill another whole
http://i51.tinypic.com/nx1fs8.jpg

Wecutgrass
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.tracksplus.com/CP1363063A000R.htm This blade fits the 34z perfectly. 17" length with 5/8 center hole. I just ran out to the garage and took a quick pic. Gravely oem high lift baldes on the bottom - eliminators on the top.

i feel like a complete idoit...but i cant figure out how to order these...
http://www.tracksplus.com/CP1363063A000R.htm theres no "buy" button

cvcook
02-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Cool, thanks for the pic

Wecutgrass
02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
No problem man.
Posted via Mobile Device

I MOW ALONE
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
there is no room at all to drill a new hole that would change the height. if you drill a hole opposite of any hole you will just be at the exact same height as opposite hole. :hammerhead::laugh:

Wecutgrass
02-02-2011, 09:52 PM
O your right haha
Posted via Mobile Device

a clear difference lawn
02-02-2011, 10:01 PM
i feel like a complete idoit...but i cant figure out how to order these...
http://www.tracksplus.com/CP1363063A000R.htm theres no "buy" button

I felt like an idiot too when I tried to order. You have to call. The people where great and the order shipped quick. Also, I noticed from your pic that you are missing the plate which covers the chute. It should have come with the mulch kit. I have included a pic of my old mulch kit and the red plate is what I am talking about. You should ask the guy you bought it from if he still has it. If not you can probably get it from a dealer if you wan't one. I personally think it makes the mower look much better with the mulch kit installed.

Mowingman
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Do not go drilling height adjustment holes until you know what height it REALLY is at with each setting. The owners manual info on settings, and the numbers on the holes mean NOTHING. EVERY machine out of the factory will cut different heights, even when in the same hole. This is true with almost every brand of ZTR sold today. The height setting numbers mean "fairly close to", not "exact".
Set your machine on a level concrete surface and manually point the blade on either the left or the right side to point front to back. Now, using a blade height gauge, or a good old tape measure, measure the distance from the concrete to the front tip of the cutting edge. Do this at every height setting and record the measurements for each setting. Now, and only now, will you know the real cutting height of each setting.
I bet you will be surprised at the results.
Oh, be sure to have factory recommended pressure in each tire before doing this.

BINKY1902
02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
there is no room at all to drill a new hole that would change the height. if you drill a hole opposite of any hole you will just be at the exact same height as opposite hole. :hammerhead::laugh:

You can drill holes in the side of it, you just have to insert the pin from the side rather than from the top, but it holds just the same. I drilled some out on mine.

Wecutgrass
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
If You don't mind may we see a picture?
Posted via Mobile Device

cvcook
02-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Yea, I'd like to see one as well, the only reason I"d like to have 1/4" increments are because some of my yards are tifton, and you know what that can look like if it's mowed a tad bit too short or too high......not good!

BINKY1902
02-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah I'll try to snap some pics tommorrow. I figured out after the first day with my Gravely that I would have to have some 1/4 inch increments. I drilled some at 2-3/4, 3-1/4, and 3-3/4. I use the 3-1/4 hole a lot. That's the only thing I ended up not liking about my mower, the 1/2 increments. I have one customer that wasn't happy with a 3-1/2 cut, said it was too tall, then didn't like a 3" cut, saying it was too short. I drilled the 3-1/4 hole and he said it was just right. You just want to make sure you drill it out in the dead middle, so the pin hits the rod in the center, for strength reasons. Also good to mark it off and use a scratch awl to mark your hole, to keep the bit from walking on you and scratching the paint, as well as keeping it right where you want it. Every mower should have 1/4 increments, well, every commercial mower anyway. I'm not sure why Gravely didn't do this on the 100 series, but everything else has been great on mine.

cvcook
02-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Couldn't agree with you more.all commercial mowers should have 1/4" adjustments........Are you listening Gravely? lol!

Wecutgrass
02-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm going to be drilling these holes in mine as well..gravely here us!
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
02-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Also make sure the hole is the exact same size as the others, so that the pin will snap in and not fall out.

Quality Cuts PLS
02-03-2011, 02:45 PM
The 2011 100 and 200 series have 1/4 inch now, but the 34 is still 1/2.

cvcook
02-03-2011, 07:57 PM
The 2011 100 and 200 series have 1/4 inch now, but the 34 is still 1/2.

Yea I saw that on their website. If I get the 34 the'll prob change it a week later! :laugh:

Wecutgrass
02-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Alright so ive been mulching with my gravely for about 2 weeks now and the grass is just sticking to the bottom of the deck and i have to scrap the deck just about every lawn i cut, is there a product i can buy that can prevent this from happening? thanks guys! besides that i love this machine.

lukespapa
02-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Alright so ive been mulching with my gravely for about 2 weeks now and the grass is just sticking to the bottom of the deck and i have to scrap the deck just about every lawn i cut, is there a product i can buy that can prevent this from happening? thanks guys! besides that i love this machine.

I have only used my Pro 34 twice cutting the lot across the street from my house. The first time was really wet, and had lots of grass underneath. The second time was this past Saturday and was very dry. I looked underneath, and hardly any grass this time. Still need more experience when the grass really starts growing.

BTW, I ordered the wider tires [20x10x10] that clear difference & normmie put on their machines. I also ordered some 6" wide rims to mount the new tires on [stock is 5.5"] I should have it all together next week and will post pictures and comments.

Wecutgrass
02-17-2011, 12:22 PM
I have only used my Pro 34 twice cutting the lot across the street from my house. The first time was really wet, and had lots of grass underneath. The second time was this past Saturday and was very dry. I looked underneath, and hardly any grass this time. Still need more experience when the grass really starts growing.

BTW, I ordered the wider tires [20x10x10] that clear difference & normmie put on their machines. I also ordered some 6" wide rims to mount the new tires on [stock is 5.5"] I should have it all together next week and will post pictures and comments.

ya i was looking at those tires, but some of my lawns, i litterly just make it into the back yard, and i think the grass may be sticking right now because im not really cutting "grass" im cutting like thick wet weeds. the st aug hasnt came back from its death and it just has some weeds taking off. I tryed to order these...http://www.tracksplus.com/CP1363063A000R.htm ..but i cant find the buy button on the website, so i emailed them to part number and i asked how to buy them...and they have not responded.

fatboynormmie
02-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Running the mulch kit clogged my deck constantly and thats why I removed it promptly.I then mounted a chute blocker for areas that you can't blow grass into such as gardens etc and for the wide open spaces I side discharge.For me this method works best.I made my own chute blocker and can adjust to what ever position I want from barely open to all the way open.

D&K Lawns
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
We picked ours up last week and I have to say it is one sweet machine. I have needed something for gates and I am looking forward to putting it to work. Congrats on your soon to be purchase.

Wecutgrass
02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Could you send me a picture of your shoot blocker?
Posted via Mobile Device

fatboynormmie
02-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Could you send me a picture of your shoot blocker?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry not the best angles but this unit is buried in one of my out sheds.Notice the aluminum angle attached to the deck thats for the accelerator grass catcher . The chute blocker when open all the way allows access for the bagger to be attached.To open chute I welded a tab of steel facing the rear tire I lean over just a little and flip it up and close it manually.I have the tension on the attaching bolts tight enough to hold the chute blocker where I put it but still easy to open and close .I like to keep it simple stupid (KISS)

Wecutgrass
02-17-2011, 08:45 PM
O I see now, I may take the mulch kit off ima wait it out to I start cutting grass and not weeds and see how it does.
Posted via Mobile Device

lifetree
02-17-2011, 09:24 PM

I was wondering whether anyone would realize that !!

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

lifetree
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
You can drill holes in the side of it, you just have to insert the pin from the side rather than from the top, but it holds just the same. I drilled some out on mine.

... I figured out after the first day with my Gravely that I would have to have some 1/4 inch increments. I drilled some at 2-3/4, 3-1/4, and 3-3/4. I use the 3-1/4 hole a lot. ...

Binky -- Where are the pictures of your drilled holes ??

fobaum
02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see the pics of the drilled holes too :sleeping:

fatboynormmie
02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd like to see the pics of the drilled holes too :sleeping:

Me toooooo