PDA

View Full Version : Humbolt Catcher-Opinions needed

crossboneracing
01-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi guys,

Trying to come up with an idea for a better catching system. Currently I have a dixie chopper classic with the 60" deck and the f4 bagger system. I personally think the dixie chopper impeller/blower sucks. It doesnt do its job and clogs up very easy with wet grass. Not to menion bogs the motor down signifigantly and leaves a strip of clippings on the right side of the deck. So heres my idea. I was thinking of switching the blower to a hublolt unit and keeping the f4 hopper as it has good capacity and is stainless so it wont rust. Let me know if either anyone has tried this or has a humbolt system and thier opinions on it in both wet and dry conditions. Thanks!

mowerbrad
01-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I had the humbolt system on my bob-cat, almost switched it to the dixie chopper I used to own. I came to the conclusion that dixie choppers really can't bag well. I had the same line of clippings left on the right side of the deck with a trac-vac system. My dealer wasn't too helpful in fixing the problem, so I gave up with them.

The humbolt system on my bob-cat was pretty good. It did clog up if you went too fast in wet and/or heavy growth conditions, but for the most part it performed very well. It was used on a 52" deck.

Richard Martin
01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I came to the conclusion that dixie choppers really can't bag well. I had the same line of clippings left on the right side of the deck with a trac-vac system.

I think I've finally figured out why Dixies do this. The discharge blade on most mowers is fairly close to the opening. If you stick your toe in there an inch or two you're going to loose that toe. The discharge blade on a Dixie is set in at least 3 inches and maybe even more. It's pouring down raining right now or I'd run out to the trailer and measure it.

Anyway, Dixie uses a wide open discharge. So large in fact that some of the material tends to just keep going straight to the back of the deck where it can buildup. Brad and I spoke about his problem but I had forgotten that I had that same problem with the silver deck back when I first got mine.

Mine would actually throw grass back to the back of the discharge where it would build up and every few feet it would drop a nice little pile of grass. That irritated me pretty quickly. What I did was cut a small part of the back of the deck out where the grass would collect. I weighed the pros and cons of perhaps a rock being discharged through the opening but even if one did come out of there it would only bounce off of the rear tire that is right there. There is also still complete coverage of the blade. The portion I cut out is below the level of the blade or even with the bottom of the blade.

I'll take a pic tomorrow of the deck so you can see how small a part I cut off. It was the absolute minimum to get the job done. It works great like this.

KFLAWN
01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
does this also help when not using the catcher Richard?
also wheres the pic??:)

KFLAWN
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Also, never tried to bag with a dixie. I agree with Richard, I wouldnt think it would do very well bagging, due to the huge opening and lack of vacuum.

Richard Martin
01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
does this also help when not using the catcher Richard?
also wheres the pic??:)

I fashioned this mod to fix an issue when discharging. Yes, it helps when not using a catcher.

Forgot the pic. Vile weather here today.

crossboneracing
01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Pics would help. Its hard as we bag most stuff here unless its mid summer and barely growing. Just getting frustrating as it really slows us down to have to clean out the clog every couple passes when its heavy or wet.