PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Text & E-Mail!!!

4 seasons lawn&land
01-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Rant! :gunsfirinThis biz would be SO much better without text and e mail. People would not say half the crap they do if they had to call or say it to your face. Everybody has all the courage when they're behind the computer or texting. Funny thing, if you break the unwritten rule and return a text with a phone call all of a sudden pricks are friendly as can be.

Lefet
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Not just the business, people in general. I think texting, email and even the phone sometimes aids in avoidance. People have a tendency to text or type something they wouldn't even consider saying to your face. I like the personal one on one type of communication.

Exact Rototilling
01-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Never been an issue here but I guess that could change anytime but I actually prefer texting and email [3G Smartphone] with customers. Less disruptive vs. phone calls and I have a bit more time to think before I over commit to something without my schedule in front of me or have to run to my truck during a phone call, have to pull over [while driving] to take down their info etc.

TheGoat
01-25-2011, 08:40 PM
The problem with text and email is not what people say that they wouldn't say to your face.
The problem is that most people today are incredibly poor communicators.

Text and email communication strips a conversation of it's depth. There is no tone of voice or body language to queue off of. The depth is lost so don't be to quick to take offence at typed communication, 99% of the time there is a nuance that is being missed.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
you know I thought the same thing for a while! When your reading something, enterpretation is important. You cant take things the wrong way. I realize In black and white things can come across alot different than they would verbally. Since then I have realized, nope... they're just a-holes. Im not talking subtlety here. Im seeing stuff that certain people would just not say to me, behind that device its like theyre taking advantage of being able to say whatever they want. Maybe I just have alot of creaps I work for.

Wecutgrass
01-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Never been an issue here but I guess that could change anytime but I actually prefer texting and email [3G Smartphone] with customers. Less disruptive vs. phone calls and I have a bit more time to think before I over commit to something without my schedule in front of me or have to run to my truck during a phone call, have to pull over [while driving] to take down their info etc.

i agree totally

STL Cuts
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Rant! :gunsfirinThis biz would be SO much better without text and e mail. People would not say half the crap they do if they had to call or say it to your face. Everybody has all the courage when they're behind the computer or texting. Funny thing, if you break the unwritten rule and return a text with a phone call all of a sudden pricks are friendly as can be.

Well you are dealing with people from New York......

ShooterK2
01-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I love text and email. Especially texting. I wish I could get ALL my customers to text. It gives me so much more time to think about the situation and reply with a solid, beneficial solution, instead of having to come up with something quickly, and then think of a better way when it's too late.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Its 2011, Like it or hate it its here to stay. I text my employees all the time in the evening when I think of something that needs done the next day. Or il forget to tell them.

Plus you have a recorded document of your converstation. And if there are any questions you can refer back to the words and settle any dispute.

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
My favorite email is Paypal's " you have money".
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthTXlawnguy
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
My favorite email is Paypal's " you have money".
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely!

Jason Rose
01-26-2011, 11:06 AM
It's an age thing most likely, not knowing how old you are (the OP) but guessing you are over 50? Because that's the age and older that generally dislikes "technology". My mom and grandma are the same way. Just think it's stupid to text, why do that instead of calling? they ask... They just don't understand how much easier it is and that the recipiant isn't disturbed and forced to stop what they are doing to answer a call. I can have somewhat of a conversation with someone that's in a class or at work (if they aren't busy) where they coudn't ever just make a phone call. It keeps me in touch with people that I'd probably not get to talk too but maybe once every couple weeks without texting, and also facebook!

Email is great for customers. I don't have but a few that email me but it's nice that what they are asking is typed out, I can read it at my leisure, I can re-read it if it's somewhat unclear, and I can sit down and put some thought into what I need to say in my reply. If they had called me I probably wouldn't have had the answers right then. The email saves a call and a call back.

93Chevy
01-26-2011, 11:16 AM
The problem with text and email is not what people say that they wouldn't say to your face.
The problem is that most people today are incredibly poor communicators.

Text and email communication strips a conversation of it's depth. There is no tone of voice or body language to queue off of. The depth is lost so don't be to quick to take offence at typed communication, 99% of the time there is a nuance that is being missed.

Yes...you are correct. Nobody knows how to communicate face to face anymore.

Texting and email definitely have their place no doubt. I don't do email too much between "people" but I get a lot of updates and newsletters I peruse though email. I do text a lot, but it's mostly "dinner tonight?" "see you at 7" or "can't make it got called to work; i'll call later" etc.

One thing I miss about my old girlfriend (3 years ago) was her ability to communicate with me face to face. She didn't hide behind text messages when she needed to talk or was upset or whatever. I finally went on a couple dates last week and this girl love to text. In general, I don't have a problem with that so long as it's not disruptive. But she's not very good at communicating to me face to face. She's much better at communicating via text messages.

I'm also very good at reading body and facial signals. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I can tell different types of smiles and when somebody's trying to hide something. That really helps in not just romantic relationships but business relationships as well.

I don't know if I really have a point, but face-to-face, phone, email, and text conversations all have their place. It's our job to figure the right media for each circumstance.

PLS-Tx
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
I would MUCH rather email customers than talk to them on the phone, for reasons that were already mentioned.

We have an email address for many of our customers, I would love to have one for all of them.

We don't text any customers but we text employees all the time.

I know both can be a problem at times but I still like it.

Hook and Ladder
01-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Interesting post-

Texting- I thought this was a little too slack of an approach. TXT me if U wnt me 2 cut ur grass this wk. OMG hurry! Then again I have a local councilman as a customer and he popped out his phone a couple weeks ago saying he text-ed me earlier in the day to see if I was coming by.......

Email- Although I can completely relate to the old school ways of communicating and a face to face convo along with a firm handshake has bonded many an agreement, emails have become a more main stream. The only thing I can see being a problem is people neglect to use correct grammar, misspell words and not use a professional format. These emails are your way of presenting yourself most times. Make that solid first impression that you are "squared away." Also I started to utilize Facebook last year. You will be surprised what the social networks will do for you. Hell its free advertising and people spend countless hours in everyone's business of who what where and why.

Hook and Ladder
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
I would MUCH rather email customers than talk to them on the phone, for reasons that were already mentioned.

We have an email address for many of our customers, I would love to have one for all of them.

We don't text any customers but we text employees all the time.

I know both can be a problem at times but I still like it.

Didn't even mention that myself! I have pretty much gone completely paperless with my invoices and estimates. There are a few old ladys that I work for who refuse to use a computer and prefer a nice hand written note of how much they owe. :)

jaybow
01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I love text and email. Especially texting. I wish I could get ALL my customers to text. It gives me so much more time to think about the situation and reply with a solid, beneficial solution, instead of having to come up with something quickly, and then think of a better way when it's too late.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really like texting to communicate with customers. Unfortunately the majority are old school and dont do it.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-26-2011, 05:51 PM
As far as my age Im 21, not over 50 haha. I dont have a problem with communicating via text/email. It does help alot. Im just talking about the crap the PITA people will write that they would never say to you. It looks really pathetic and is extreemly annoying.

Exact Rototilling
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
As far as my age Im 21, not over 50 haha. I dont have a problem with communicating via text/email. It does help alot. Im just talking about the crap the PITA people will write that they would never say to you. It looks really pathetic and is extreemly annoying.

Can you cut and paste some of those texts here? I'm kinda wondering what they are txting you? :)

bohiaa
01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I kno right...

I remember when texting 1st came out, I thought it was a PITA then...

I really cant belive how backwards technogoly has caught on so much

93Chevy
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I kno right...

I remember when texting 1st came out, I thought it was a PITA then...

I really cant belive how backwards technogoly has caught on so much

I used to be one of, if not the, biggest anti-texter on this site.

Now I'm a proponent of legitimate texting.

Oh how the tables have turned.

STIHL GUY
01-26-2011, 07:11 PM
im still in school and text all my friends and what not but when it comes to busisness id rather talk on the phone instead of waiting around for them to respond to a text

Scagmower48
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
If you don't want customers emailing you then don't give them your email. Whose fault is that. I can't imagine a grown person texting about business either.

If a customer wants to get a hold of me they have my number and thats they only way I communicate.

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 08:59 PM
If you don't want customers emailing you then don't give them your email. Whose fault is that. I can't imagine a grown person texting about business either.

If a customer wants to get a hold of me they have my number and thats they only way I communicate.

I have customers of all ages. All use some form of modern communication. Text, email, facebook, twitter is a part of modern culture and used by some of the largest corporations in the world. Whatever the customer is comfortable with is fine by me. Keep up or get left behind.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexschultz1
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
texting is amazing, you old guys need to get into the modern age lol

Jason Rose
01-26-2011, 09:59 PM

The 30 and younger crowd, mostly ladies, are more into texting for everything. I have just one customer that will text me but i'm fine with it since it's not always just business. She's really attractive (to put it nicely) and I don't mind at all if she wants to ask questions or tell me something via text. I just wish she would send pictures! :laugh:

Look at how many businesses that have adopted facebook and twitter as a means to communicate and advertize with their target audience. If you don't keep up you may get left behind. The older "non-techno" generation is only going to be around for just so long!

On that note, I don't usually offer my email address to customers unless it's requested. Commercial customers tend to like email more. Whatever you do if you want to email people make damn sure you can TYPE and have some grasp of the rules of the english language. Make sure to double check your spelling and grammar! You can be the best lawn guy in town but if you can't type, or you type like a 14 year old texts you better stick to calling only!

mowyo
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM

This would be correct ...... I had to learn to tt my kids.( I'm 51) Now my younger customers text me.

ShooterK2
01-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Folks probably said the same thing about other inventions when they were new as well: "I can't believe people actually drive those motorized contraptions!! Especially to run a business!! GET A HORSE!!!"

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that texting is a great way to communicate (provided that the user can actually SPELL and use PUNCTUATION, at least as well as the common 5th grade student), and is going to be around for a LONG time.

Oh and Jason, it's not just the 30-and-under crowd. I'm almost 40, and almost everyone I know texts a lot. My phone bill will usually reflect between three and four thousand texts each month. Sometimes more. Yes, I have a girlfriend, and we text a LOT.

I only have a few customers, however, that will text. Most just call. Either way is fine, but I love the texts, because I'm usually busy, and I can get back to them when I have time. I don't like having to stop what I'm doing to answer a call, and I absolutely HATE the time it takes to check voicemail.

Florida Gardener
01-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd much rather email than get on the phone for something small. Especially if you have a smartphone it is even easier....
Posted via Mobile Device

Jason Rose
01-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Oh and Jason, it's not just the 30-and-under crowd. I'm almost 40, and almost everyone I know texts a lot. My phone bill will usually reflect between three and four thousand texts each month. Sometimes more. Yes, I have a girlfriend, and we text a LOT.

You are right, I'm still thinking in the past as well... In the last year or two it's really became more mainstream. buddy of mine, 43 years old, very "redneck" and not the type that even wanted a cell phone now texts all the time! My own parents even text. So I guess I'm not even keeping up! :laugh: I forget that I'm 32 now, and yep, I text as much as everyone else! Now there's no way Iever do as much as a teenager but I don't have time or anyone to talk to that dang much!

ShooterK2
01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Hey, I know what you mean about the "parents" thing. My folks are the sole reason I got an Iphone. I never thought I would see the day that they were more "technologically advanced" than me!

Exact Rototilling
01-26-2011, 11:05 PM
One of my snow customers texts me at 0500 every snow morning with accumulation updates. It beats having the phone ring at 0500.

Another customer has 2 kids and 2 dogs that leave a mess in the back yard. I text roughly 40-20 min before I show up so it is ready to mow.

I'm usually plugged into my phone with Shure IEM and I hear the incoming text. I don't have to shut down equipment to reply. Takes very little time and very little disruption.

It really depends on the customer.....I prefer it because it's simply faster & quicker....

MOHUSTLER
01-27-2011, 09:00 AM
ON and off the same subject, anyone with an Iphone will enjoy this site. www.damnyouautocorrect.com! Its a great laugh

ShooterK2
01-27-2011, 09:34 AM
ON and off the same subject, anyone with an Iphone will enjoy this site. www.damnyouautocorrect.com! Its a great laugh

Oh good grief, that stuff is hilarious! I just read the first few pages and was rolling with laughter! And, owning an Iphone, I know EXACTLY how those people feel......

MOHUSTLER
01-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Ya that site will keep you laughing for months to come. They add a few new pages a week.

ReddensLawnCare
01-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I love texting because of most of the points listed above..but one of the reasons I prefer it over face to face is because if some of the pita who text me some of there crap saw my response..i might have a few less accounts...

Showpropserv
01-28-2011, 12:56 AM
you know what I love is when employees text there boss that there not comming to work today man up and call damnit and yes that auto correct is awesome

BrunoT
01-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I much prefer email.

1. You have more time to compose your thoughts in a way easily understandable to a layman.

2. They can read it and comprehend it better than if you hit them with a lot of technical this/that on the phone.

3. You can reply duriing your downtime, not when you're busy and/or exhausted. I don't always have 10 min free during work hours. But I do in the evening while watching TV.

4. You are not bothering them at a time when they are rushing off the phone.

5. Better if you are not a smooth talker and can write better than you speak. Easier for me to organize what I want to get accross when I have time to think about it rather than talking off the cuff. I always forget to mention something.

6. You can provide more detail. Their eyes glaze over in person if you hit them with all the reasons why your fert plan is done how it is. Or tell them about phosphorus' benefits. It's too much for them to take in all at once.

7. I suspect many understand more when it's written down.

8. You have a written record of everything. You can transfer that to your notes so you don't forget it. And given a dispute later, you can show what both parties said.

9. I find people are actually quite pleasant in emails I get. I think some prefer email too.

10. Sometimes you are just not up to dealing with people on the phone or face-to-face and will do a better job of it later.

11. I can touch type fast, so it's not the annoying bother it would be to a hunt-peck typist.

12. You no longer have to answer the phone so much, which I find annoying.

Roger
01-28-2011, 09:25 AM
The original post is complaining about texting and e-mailing, but with an apparent backdrop of complaints, or some adversarial exchange. The post does not say that, but implies there is a negative message being sent in one of these two ways.

Rather than wonder why texts and e-mails are being used, perhaps the better question: Why is there a reason for the negative communication?

It does not matter the mode of communication, text, e-mail, phone call, or face-to-face. There must be a reason for the negative situation. That is the issue to be addressed, not the mode of communication.

MOHUSTLER
01-28-2011, 09:40 AM
I could see it being an issue if a customer Emails to cancle service and you dont have a chance to ask why or on what basis.

bohiaa
01-28-2011, 12:45 PM

LMAO. SON, Texting has been around for 30 years.

where have you been ?

MOHUSTLER
01-28-2011, 01:33 PM
LMAO. SON, Texting has been around for 30 years.

where have you been ?

30 years huh?

SMS was first used in December 1992, when Neil Papworth, a 22-year-old test engineer for Sema Group [2] (now Airwide Solutions),[3] used a personal computer to send the text message "Merry Christmas" via the Vodafone network to the phone of Richard Jarvis.[4]

When texting first came out, it was originally intended for the business world. It was very expensive and not a realistic option for people who werenít wealthy.[citation needed] When texting began, it was possible to send up to 140 bytes that translated to 160 characters of the English alphabet.[5]

Initial growth of text messaging was slow, with customers in 1995 sending on average only 0.4 messages per GSM customer per month.[6] One factor in the slow take-up of SMS was that operators were slow to set up charging systems, especially for prepaid subscribers, and eliminate billing fraud, which was possible by changing SMSC settings on individual handsets to use the SMSCs of other operators. Over time, this issue was eliminated by switch-billing instead of billing at the SMSC and by new features within SMSCs to allow blocking of foreign mobile users sending messages through it.

SMS is available on a wide range of networks, including 3G networks. However, not all text messaging systems use SMS, and some notable alternate implementations of the concept include J-Phone's "SkyMail" and NTT Docomo's "Short Mail", both in Japan. E-mail messaging from phones, as popularized by NTT Docomo's i-mode and the RIM BlackBerry, also typically use standard mail protocols such as SMTP over TCP/IP.

Today text messaging is the most widely used mobile data service, with 74% of all mobile phone users worldwide or 2.4 billion out of 3.3 billion phone subscribers at end of 2007 being active users of the Short Message Service. In countries such as Finland, Sweden and Norway, over 85% of the population use SMS. The European average is about 80% and North America is rapidly catching up with over 60% active users of SMS by end of 2008. The largest average usage of the service by mobile phone subscribers is in the Philippines with an average of 27 texts sent per day by subscriber.

bohiaa
01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
30 years huh?

SMS was first used in December 1992, when Neil Papworth, a 22-year-old test engineer for Sema Group [2] (now Airwide Solutions),[3] used a personal computer to send the text message "Merry Christmas" via the Vodafone network to the phone of Richard Jarvis.[4]

When texting first came out, it was originally intended for the business world. It was very expensive and not a realistic option for people who werenít wealthy.[citation needed] When texting began, it was possible to send up to 140 bytes that translated to 160 characters of the English alphabet.[5]

Initial growth of text messaging was slow, with customers in 1995 sending on average only 0.4 messages per GSM customer per month.[6] One factor in the slow take-up of SMS was that operators were slow to set up charging systems, especially for prepaid subscribers, and eliminate billing fraud, which was possible by changing SMSC settings on individual handsets to use the SMSCs of other operators. Over time, this issue was eliminated by switch-billing instead of billing at the SMSC and by new features within SMSCs to allow blocking of foreign mobile users sending messages through it.

SMS is available on a wide range of networks, including 3G networks. However, not all text messaging systems use SMS, and some notable alternate implementations of the concept include J-Phone's "SkyMail" and NTT Docomo's "Short Mail", both in Japan. E-mail messaging from phones, as popularized by NTT Docomo's i-mode and the RIM BlackBerry, also typically use standard mail protocols such as SMTP over TCP/IP.

Today text messaging is the most widely used mobile data service, with 74% of all mobile phone users worldwide or 2.4 billion out of 3.3 billion phone subscribers at end of 2007 being active users of the Short Message Service. In countries such as Finland, Sweden and Norway, over 85% of the population use SMS. The European average is about 80% and North America is rapidly catching up with over 60% active users of SMS by end of 2008. The largest average usage of the service by mobile phone subscribers is in the Philippines with an average of 27 texts sent per day by subscriber.

Not sure where you get your info, but In 91 I was issued a pager, it had texting on it, We used texting quite a bit, I was never so gald when cell phones became cheeper to use. In 92 our company issued cell phones because of the issure texting caused.

We had a computer tech, that got killed because he was texting and driving.

But I must admit, it was a nice try,

MOHUSTLER
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
SMS which is phone to phone not computer to pager.

bohiaa
01-28-2011, 03:49 PM
AHHHH, this is where the confussion comes in.

ya see in the early days we had beepers. these beepers had texting on them.

It's OLD trchnogoly, In Fact there's issues of why the phone companys are charging so much for this feture.

Back then it was free.

As you kno, Or should coive takes a lot of bandwith, where as ATM does NOT.

It cost your carrier about 2 to 3 cents a Year for you to text. while there over charging you,

It's the same as in the 80's and 90's on how they were screwing ev1 on LD charges.

Exact Rototilling
01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Call me crazy but I was considering offering a $5 off all new customer inquiries by using my email address on my flyers or door hangers instead of calling my number....? My phone rings off the hook in the Spring time to the point I have been considering hiring someone to answer my calls? Really hard to get anything done being on the phone all day when I need to be working. Everytime the phone rings in the spring I'm thinking ...WHAT NOW!....going full throttle trying to keep up with everything. Yet another peril of being solo for now. Calls that go unanswered or to voice mail are often lost. They call the next person or phone tag - back and forth ..... what a waste of time.

Then I wonder if people will get ticked if they have to email to get the $5 off any single service?.....Maybe it's a bad idea in reality .....only good in theory. Then people will email and call to get $5 off any single service wanting it both ways. :rolleyes:

Patriot Services
01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Call me crazy but I was considering offering a $5 off all new customer inquiries by using my email address on my flyers or door hangers instead of calling my number....? My phone rings off the hook in the Spring time to the point I have been considering hiring someone to answer my calls? Really hard to get anything done being on the phone all day when I need to be working. Everytime the phone rings in the spring I'm thinking ...WHAT NOW!....going full throttle trying to keep up with everything. Yet another peril of being solo for now. Calls that go unanswered or to voice mail are often lost. They call the next person or phone tag - back and forth ..... what a waste of time.

Then I wonder if people will get ticked if they have to email to get the $5 off any single service?.....Maybe it's a bad idea in reality .....only good in theory. Then people will email and call to get $5 off any single service wanting it both ways. :rolleyes:

This might backfire on you. Kind of like discriminatory discounting for the technologically impaired. Probably a violation of the American's with disabilities act. Consult your lawyer or 1 800 Tom, Dick or Harry.
Posted via Mobile Device

mictrik
01-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, i actually turned text off on my mobile service. I find text messages and "IM" are often more disturbing then phone calls. When I am on the phone I use the speaker and can do something else while someone or I ramble on. With text or IM I have to look at a screen and then type; that is disturbing! Difficult to do anything at the same time. Sending texts while driving your car is a bad idea however if you have a speaker-phone it is far less distracting to engage in a phone call while driving.

Roger
01-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Call me crazy but I was considering offering a $5 off all new customer inquiries by using my email address on my flyers or door hangers instead of calling my number....? My phone rings off the hook in the Spring time to the point I have been considering hiring someone to answer my calls? Really hard to get anything done being on the phone all day when I need to be working. ....

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to say here. But, it sounds like you are too busy to answer the phone to take calls for new business. In other words, you would rather keep busy with existing work than to speak with somebody that will give you more business.

If you have no room left in your schedule, then a simple, "Sorry, can't help you, ... booked." End of conversation. Or, even if you are full schedule, why wouldn't you try to find better customers, those more local, those who you could make better profits, etc.? If you have room, they why wouldn't you take the calls to fill your schedule.?

I can't imagine being not taking advantage to be "on the phone all day" if you need the work, regardless of how busy you might be one particular day. This suggests "loosing the forest while wandering in the trees."

Thinking of making fee structures different for those using different modes of communication is not a good idea. We are not doing high-level technology consulting here, just cutting some grass, putting down some mulch, or trimming some bushes, right?

Unless one has a large operation, I can't imagine being on the phone much at all. If you have that large of operation, then perhaps you should not be in the field, rather in an office running the operation.

I work solo, and I can go weeks without getting a call, e-mail, or text from my customer base. I show up, work, send an invoice, they send check, I show up, work, send invoice .... Why all the conversation?

Exact Rototilling
01-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to say here. But, it sounds like you are too busy to answer the phone to take calls for new business. In other words, you would rather keep busy with existing work than to speak with somebody that will give you more business.

If you have no room left in your schedule, then a simple, "Sorry, can't help you, ... booked." End of conversation. Or, even if you are full schedule, why wouldn't you try to find better customers, those more local, those who you could make better profits, etc.? If you have room, they why wouldn't you take the calls to fill your schedule.?

I can't imagine being not taking advantage to be "on the phone all day" if you need the work, regardless of how busy you might be one particular day. This suggests "loosing the forest while wandering in the trees."

Thinking of making fee structures different for those using different modes of communication is not a good idea. We are not doing high-level technology consulting here, just cutting some grass, putting down some mulch, or trimming some bushes, right?

Unless one has a large operation, I can't imagine being on the phone much at all. If you have that large of operation, then perhaps you should not be in the field, rather in an office running the operation.

I work solo, and I can go weeks without getting a call, e-mail, or text from my customer base. I show up, work, send an invoice, they send check, I show up, work, send invoice .... Why all the conversation?
Ok...first of all I did say Spring. Actually up through memorial day weekend....beyond that weekend call volume is pretty manageable.

If I was full service with a set regular pace ..... incoming calls would not be much of an issue. I probably get 2-4 calls per hour during peak season from tire kickers. Price checkers. Many of those would be better handled via email and Google maps. I'm not full service probably never will be. To many lowballers doing fert and squirt and sprinkler guys working for dirt cheap.

I'm basically lawn aeration, lawn renovation and mow & blow. Throw in some rototilling customer scattered all over the area ....again spring emphasis. I do not have a one size fits all marketing approach. I market specific services to different audiences basically a niche marketing approach. Most of my customers mow their own lawns.

I work at this 7 days a week in the Spring plus I work another business part time from home 15 - 20 hours per week 5 nights a week at home with better profit margins with far less overhead but the work is very tedious but is very consistent and steady income source. I rarely stop for lunch and I often work till dark. Plastic bottles and an enclosed trailer come in handy. I often think if I hired a helper they'd quit before the end of the week or day at this pace. I'd NEVER work at this pace for anybody else.

Every single pending lawn renovation job I had tentatively scheduled last spring had to be cancelled or rescheduled due to a very VERY wet spring and this went up till June last season - super wet. My mowing clients are a priority and I'm succeeded in pi$$ing off a pretty good amount of non mowing clients. People are understanding of weather related delays to a point but they still want their stuff done.

It becomes a logistical problem basically keeping track of everything especially when I'm put on the spot on the phone. I tend to over commit before fully think through the where and when. Calls that go to voice mail are often lost and I try to answer every incoming call during the spring when I'm not running equipment. I prefer to only talk when I'm driving to save time. My wife once did help with call interception and that helped greatly in the past. She really is no longer available for that now.

It is just much easier flow wise to not over commit when you are emailed [new customers] or sent texts [existing customers]. An extra 10-20 seconds of looking at current work load makes all the difference. Yes the discount for email only is bad idea. I just need to think of some slick way to grease the skids for email preferred.
:waving:

sweetz
01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree totally.