PDA

View Full Version : Is Spring Coming Sooner?

Landscape Poet
01-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Nothing Scientific here. I have just been noticing that most of the lawns are getting there green back and have a little growth happening again. What are your guys gut feeling, is spring here early or are we going to get another freeze since it is still on JAN. ????/

Florida Gardener
01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Mike, the way Jan was makes me feel like spring will be here sooner. I hope I am wring, but that is how it is looking.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
01-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I think we will be getting at least one more freeze, low temps in the 40"s the next few days. The broadleaf cool season weeds are growing though.

fl-landscapes
01-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Nothing Scientific here. I have just been noticing that most of the lawns are getting there green back and have a little growth happening again. What are your guys gut feeling, is spring here early or are we going to get another freeze since it is still on JAN. ????/

Things were greening up then we had that frost a few days ago and back to brown we go. Last year there was no spring, seemed to go from winter to baking in the oven over night.

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 05:11 PM
The weeds are doing great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-26-2011, 09:24 PM
The weeds are doing great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes the are, I have seen them starting to poke their little heads out here and there. The last weeks rain will surely send some of them into overdrive.

JB1
01-26-2011, 09:26 PM
must be a florida thing, Ours is covered with snow.

Landscape Poet
01-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Things were greening up then we had that frost a few days ago and back to brown we go. Last year there was no spring, seemed to go from winter to baking in the oven over night.

You got hit again? Is that a good thing or bad thing for your business? I am hoping for a freeze to put things on hold because I am not ready for all the heat and humidity to start again.

My big concern is what the local sod suppliers are going to be able to have available in the early spring. Last year it was a scramble unless you were getting it from down south. The local Duda sod farm I drive by here is still brown as hell. If that is any preview of what is to be expected, I expect a premium on good sod this spring, and it will be hard to find.

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
must be a florida thing, Ours is covered with snow.

You are in the Florida forum aren't you?
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
01-26-2011, 09:38 PM
You got hit again? Is that a good thing or bad thing for your business? I am hoping for a freeze to put things on hold because I am not ready for all the heat and humidity to start again.

My big concern is what the local sod suppliers are going to be able to have available in the early spring. Last year it was a scramble unless you were getting it from down south. The local Duda sod farm I drive by here is still brown as hell. If that is any preview of what is to be expected, I expect a premium on good sod this spring, and it will be hard to find.

We had 29 Degrees and a heavy frost last Sunday the 23rd.

JB1
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

duh, really stepped in that and gotit all over me, sorry about that, continue on fella's.

Landscape Poet
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
We had 29 Degrees and a heavy frost last Sunday the 23rd.

Send it this way will you? Our turf at this point is truly getting green again. Most lawns seem to be at least 60% green vs the 100% brown just a few weeks ago.

gregory
01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
i think we will get another freeze. my yard is almost green again. that freeze we had last weekend didnt make it down to me. i dont mind the cold really dont want the freeze...

it seems this winter has been pretty wet........

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
duh, really stepped in that and gotit all over me, sorry about that, continue on fella's.

That's ok your brain will thaw in the spring. I will spend the next two days cleaning up more storm debris.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
01-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Heres a link for some of the damage. www.Weather.Gov/tampabay
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/tbw/TopNews/PDF/January25survey.pdf

Patriot Services
01-26-2011, 10:02 PM
All the tree hacks were out in full force today. Saw a mid 70's full size Pontiac pulling a trailer th at said A-1 tree service on it. Couldn't get the camera out fast enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
01-27-2011, 08:22 AM
i think we will get another freeze. my yard is almost green again. that freeze we had last weekend didnt make it down to me. i dont mind the cold really dont want the freeze...

it seems this winter has been pretty wet........

The 5th wettest Jan. on record for Tampa.

...January 2011 climbs into top 5 wettest at Tampa...

January has brought an active weather pattern that has included
bouts of heavy rainfall across portions of west central and
southwest Florida. At the Tampa International Airport...where
official records are kept for the Tampa area...the month has brought
6.28 inches of rain already. A normal January total for the Tampa
area is 2.27 inches.

This January is already the 5th wettest on record for the Tampa
area...and the wettest January since 1948.

Here are the top 5 totals for highest January precipitation in the
Tampa area since 1890. Totals for 2011 include through January 26.

1. 8.02 inches 1948
2. 6.73 inches 1904
3. 6.45 inches 1899
4. 6.33 inches 1903
5. 6.28 inches 2011

Ric
01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I am going to throw in a East Coast---Gulf Coast Qualifier here.

First point is St Pete has a Micro Climate because is has the Gulf on one side and Tampa Bay on the other. Yes St Pete is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer because of a Gulf Breeze. Boca Grande and Sanibel Island etc have the same.

Second point is the East Coast has the Gulf Stream. Which once again has Warmer Winters and Cooler summers than the Gulf Coast.

Now we all know water holds heat. Therefore the closer you are to a large body of water can and will make difference as to freezing or frost etc.

So Gregory said it will freeze again and he lives inland and more than likely will freeze again the same as Zcutter. But Diamond on the east coast near the Gulf Stream might not.

Truth is Miami Homestead area has a combination of the best weather and soil conditions in South Florida. For that reason it also has the Highest population per sq ft. Corner of Krome Ave and 101st S.W. St Miami still grows acres of Tomatoes

Patriot Services
01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Well, today is just like yesterday. A big game of pick-up-sticks and spray the bed weedlings. We did find some really tasy pizza at a gas station though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-27-2011, 07:33 PM
We did find some really tasy pizza at a gas station though.
Posted via Mobile Device

That sounds like a interesting concept....I am not to big of a fan of food that comes from gas stations.

zturncutter
01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
That sounds like a interesting concept....I am not to big of a fan of food that comes from gas stations.

:laugh: LOL I'm not either but in the summer it seems like I eat a crap load of it.

Patriot Services
01-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Its a mom and pop pizza joint that leases out a spot at a shell station. Place is called Salvia's on the corner of VanDyke and Lakeshore in Tampa. Being a New Yorker I'm always looking for good pizza.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
There's a place here in the same setup. I would say it's decent. I have yet to find and outstanding pizza place here
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
There's a place here in the same setup. I would say it's decent. I have yet to find and outstanding pizza place here
Posted via Mobile Device

I am originally form Missouri so I do not know what your New Yorkers call good pizza but my favorite place is down by UCF and has $1 pints everyday. Pizza may or not be good but it sure taste good after a couple $1 pints.

Patriot Services
01-27-2011, 09:35 PM
I am originally form Missouri so I do not know what your New Yorkers call good pizza but my favorite place is down by UCF and has $1 pints everyday. Pizza may or not be good but it sure taste good after a couple $1 pints.

And all the women look gorgesh too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
01-27-2011, 09:54 PM
And all the women look gorgesh too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like I said, the pizza joint is next to University of Central Florida, so yes some of them are easy to look at too!! ;) Oh to be very young again.

fl-landscapes
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM

sorry mike I didnt see this until now. The winter is always more profitable and less busy for me. Like most of you 90% of my business comes from contract maintenance work 80% of that is commercial. So my residual income is the same in JAn as it is in July without half the labor hours and half the fuel and supplies, so winter is great. Also this time of year we have more time to do heavy tree work or brush clearing, clean up jobs etc... but I do get a little stir crazy. And yes we got another frost and everything is brown all over again

sweetz
01-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking the same thing! Duh!

sweetz
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
I HOPE that spring doesn't doesn't come early this year. I'm enjoying the extra time, plus my profit margins are way up!:clapping:

Patriot Services
01-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I actually had some growth to cut today. Mostly weeds though. Of course they were TG yards. I guess their pre-ems are optional this year. Grrrrr!
Posted via Mobile Device

Frank's Lawn Care
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Here in ne fla the lawns are showing some green too. Think it was i lite winter,early spring. Last yr i had some lawns that their first cut was april. That area is all brown NO green. Any advice? Is was my first winter.

LGL
02-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Here in O.P. (J-Ville) things are slow, but promising. Weather has been decent, nice heavy rains, maybe we are in for an early spring, would be nice, I'm bored!!!!!

Keith
02-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Has to be all the rain. I never remember such a quick recovery from dormant. None of the subsequent cold weather seemed to affect the green up. Of course, the zoysia still looks terrible, but when doesn't it? ;)

Florida Gardener
02-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Has to be all the rain. I never remember such a quick recovery from dormant. None of the subsequent cold weather seemed to affect the green up. Of course, the zoysia still looks terrible, but when doesn't it? ;)

One of my nicest/ healthiest yards went from green to brown after one of the freezes. About 5-6 weeks later you would not have known it went dormant. All green and very healthy looking.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
This will be my last EOW week. 75% of my lawns needed cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-04-2011, 10:53 AM
This will be my last EOW week. 75% of my lawns needed cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

You don't mean your going back to weekly cutting after this week, do you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-04-2011, 11:25 AM
You don't mean your going back to weekly cutting after this week, do you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe not weekly cutting yet. But definately weekly visits. Lots of crap from the wind and rain lately. My SA lawns are green and showing growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Oh ok I see. Yea, my nice yards are all healthy and green. I will be doing fertilizations next week on turf, prob cutting back plant material as cold weather doesn't look like it will happen again down here and fertilizing ornamentals as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Vacation was fun while it lasted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Haha, yea I want to cry that it is over....
Posted via Mobile Device