PDA

View Full Version : Lock your equipment up

AzLawnMan
01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Last week had $4k worth of equipment stolen so I went out and updated the chains and locks. Well yesterday at a different property another crew had 2 of their locks broke, nothing was stolen this time but still pi$$ed me off. Anyways got tired of worrying so just went out and spent $600 on 8 locks and new chains. Welded chains to trailers and master-keyed all locks. What are you guys doing to protect your stuff?

LawnEnforcement25
01-27-2011, 12:41 AM
well for starters i keep my equipment behind a garage door when not hooked to my truck. I have the Extreme racks for my handhelds and i have the extreme blower rack for my backpack blower. i have 3 braided steel ropes about the thickness of a nickel that i can use if i have to leave my trailer unattended (I.E. go inside walmart or somewhere that requires me to be be away from the immediate area of my truck) i have heard of people being robbed for their equipment at gunpoint while doing a job so if i have a feeling, i may carry my glock 19 with me while im servicing a job. other than that, i have a few different assault rifles, and pistols and shot guns to choose from should someone try to force entry into my home where i store my equipment. im not a big enough company to store my equipment off site.

gasracer
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
The 2nd amendment is our friend. Alarm systems on the buildings where you store your equipment,Log chains and locks on equipment,locks on the gate.. You can only do so much.Keep everything insured.

MONINAMONEY
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
well for starters i keep my equipment behind a garage door when not hooked to my truck. I have the Extreme racks for my handhelds and i have the extreme blower rack for my backpack blower. i have 3 braided steel ropes about the thickness of a nickel that i can use if i have to leave my trailer unattended (I.E. go inside walmart or somewhere that requires me to be be away from the immediate area of my truck) i have heard of people being robbed for their equipment at gunpoint while doing a job so if i have a feeling, i may carry my glock 19 with me while im servicing a job. other than that, i have a few different assault rifles, and pistols and shot guns to choose from should someone try to force entry into my home where i store my equipment. im not a big enough company to store my equipment off site.

I have the extreme racks as well. I also had to drill a hole in my shove heads, post hole digger etc so I could pass a steel rope lock kit as you mentioned. It may sound over the top but, Nupla brand equipment is not cheap.

Lurch01
01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
WOW, I think the price you paid for the chains was a good price, if it lets you sleep at night.

Do you keep everything locked in a storage area is it it out in the public? I have been wondering how to keep mys stuff safe and I will have 12K on new equipment next week.

AzLawnMan
01-31-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a shop and a yard that we keep all equipment and trucks in at night. This equipment was stolen from a job site.

Az Gardener
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Where at? We have had a lot of problems in the Arcadia area and central corridor.

Our yard is surrounded by buildings on 3 sides so its out of sight. We back up the rigs to our building so they can't open the rear doors. We park the rigs so close together you can't get to the side doors. So they would have to steal the whole rig to get anything. Then they would have to crash two gates to get out to a street. On job sites we keep both doors locked, the guys have keys to the side door and we have combo locks on the back doors.

AzLawnMan
02-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I am on 19th ave and Mountain View. Great shop and yard. I park the trailers inside the shop and I pin the trucks up against the garage door and main front door, so basically the same, the have to steal the entire truck in order to get in.

Az Gardener
02-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Where did your thefts occur?

AzLawnMan
02-01-2011, 11:24 PM
At a property on 30th ave and yorkshire. At an hoa that we do.
Posted via Mobile Device

OrangeToys
02-25-2011, 03:42 PM
can we get pics of how you secure your stuff? (FYI Im not traveling to steal it) lol

TREEGUARD
02-26-2011, 02:33 PM
That happened to me last year in January some one broke in to my storage container an stole almost 10k worth of equipment. now everything gets chained upand locked when were not using it.

AzLawnMan
02-26-2011, 11:13 PM
can we get pics of how you secure your stuff? (FYI Im not traveling to steal it) lol

I will take some pics on monday and post them.

gasracer
02-26-2011, 11:42 PM
We had one of our local storage places catch fire today and several units were damaged. Caused by someone working on there motorcycle in there unit.The Fire department had to saw holes in many units to stop the spreading fire. That is always a risk along with theft.

Lurch01
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
So most of the things that are stolen are at job sites?

Last week had $4k worth of equipment stolen so I went out and updated the chains and locks. Well yesterday at a different property another crew had 2 of their locks broke, nothing was stolen this time but still pi$$ed me off. Anyways got tired of worrying so just went out and spent $600 on 8 locks and new chains. Welded chains to trailers and master-keyed all locks. What are you guys doing to protect your stuff?

AzLawnMan
03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
All of our thefts occour on job sites. Our shop is pretty sucure and I have an alarm system along with a locked gate that borders all shops.

AzLawnMan
03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
another view, tried to get pics of the other trailers but the sytem wouldnt up load. All of our trailers have similar locking systems. Locks on trailer are welded to trailer and run through walkers and in puch mowers and lock on to other side of trailer. There are also locks on trailers gates so they will not open.

Chevy z71
03-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Looks good as fort knox:laugh::laugh:

grasshopper91
03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
locks and chains came out nice. good investment!

JFGauvreau
03-08-2011, 06:31 PM
That's looks pretty secured to me lol

Landrus2
03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
They usually take small equipment but if you think your walker is in the list
Those chains will just slow them down like .5 of a second your best lock is to have it insured or install low jack

AzLawnMan
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
They usually take small equipment but if you think your walker is in the list
Those chains will just slow them down like .5 of a second your best lock is to have it insured or install low jack

All walkers are insured for "new replacement" upon theft. Meaning, the second I report a walker stolen I can go down to my dealer and have it replaced and paid for at the time. I pay more to have that coverage on just my walkers but it is well worth it. The locks are meant to make a thief think twice about the work he has to put in. If someone wants your stuff they will find a way to get it, but if the locks give my crews some extra time then thats all I expect. Plus insurance is more willing to scratch a check if they see that you have done everything you can to protect your stuff.

JFGauvreau
03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
It's always good to take some pics of how your setup is, pics of your locks, chains, so at least if the insurance ask for what kind of method were you using to prevent theft, you can show them some pictures.

GrassesGuy
03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I got cameras at my shop with infra red for night. When I do a properties there's always a guy in the front working and then we switch keeping someone in the front by the truck always.

humble1
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Pad lock shackle and deadbolt on door, overhead doors have 2 locks one to overhead door latch one to chain up high, equipment is then cable locked together and to pallets. However if they get in it just slows them down. I forgot to unlock the trailer from the 5 pallets , ny four wheeler and the pallet jack and mig welder. I was on the phone as the truck was lagging as I was pulling out I realized what happened felt like a jackwad. Oh well its secure
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
05-06-2011, 08:06 PM
So most thefts happen on the job? What should i do as I am a one man crew about half the time and the trailer is generally out of sight????
mike

grasshopper91
05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Yes. I am also a solo operator. Personally, I use steel coated cables and padlocks to lock up the equipment while I am in a backyard.

I'm not saying the theives wont cut the locks but it will slow them down or better yet, make them leave!

AzLawnMan
05-07-2011, 12:19 AM
It won't slow them down or make them leave. Build a box like on the original photos and lock your stuff of the best you can. It doesnt matter how you lock your stuff up, if they want it they will get it. I have had 2 attempted breakins on my trailers since I added the locks and cages, they stole a $180 pole pruner. I will live with that any day of the week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
05-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I would have never thought that something like that would be a issue...so will they walk up when there is people all around and just grab something?
mike

AzLawnMan
05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
One of my crews stopped at a gas station, 3 guys went in to get drinks and one stood in the truck. A bmw pulls up and a guy jumps out with bolt cutters and trys to cut one of the locks, he couldn't but noticed a blower in the bed of the truck. He steals that, throws it inside his car and speeds off. By the the time my guy jumps out of the back seat, he is gone. A total of 45 seconds. Video and everything, still never found the guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
WOW! Any good low cost boxes that could hold gas cans blowers etc?
Mike

AzLawnMan
05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
I had our mechanic make our lock boxes and on a few trailers the crew will have the gas tanks inside the trailers and lock them up with the chains. But as of friday it seems I dont have to worry about outside thefts, but now I have to worry about a particular employee stealing from me. He will be fired first thing monday morning, hate to do it too, he's been with me for almost 3 years. Oh well.

Tankers
05-22-2011, 04:15 AM
I run an incredibly small outfit but one thing I began doing is taking the blower and weed whacker with me when I'm around back and my truck is out of sight. Of course the tool box and truck doors get locked too. Anyhow, it's a little more walking but at considering what I paid for the equipment to begin with I really don't mind.

Tankers
05-22-2011, 04:16 AM
And of course I began getting picky concerning jobs. I don't do business in bad areas of town. Granted theft can happen anywhere but why increase the chances? I stay out of the border line ghetto neighborhoods, I don't need the money that bad.

Mikegyver
05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Well I have one yard that is semi commercial in the bad side of town. I have gotten hassled before by guys that just spent all their money on beer and need some "work"....we only hire family and friends LOL.
mike

Prairie Lawn and Snow
05-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Sorry this is off this topic but I thought someone might get a kick out of it. My wife over hears me talking about getting a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar. So she tries to surprise me and brings home a giant 48inch crowbar. I'm like what hell is this? She says its that thing you wanted. She went to sears and tells "reggie" she needs a 3/4 in breaker bar. So the guy sells her a frickin 4 foot crowbar she could hardly carry. "Breaker Bar" = breaking into cars, houses, trailers, made sense to him!!!!!!

Oakleaf landscape
05-27-2011, 09:44 PM
******* ******s...

Prairie Lawn and Snow
05-29-2011, 12:26 AM
******* ******s...

hahahahhahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!