PDA

View Full Version : Would you replace a rider with a stander?

jay12
01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Its about time to trade off a mower, one of our exmark 60" riders, and was looking at the new exmark vantage mowers, less trailer space to take up, possibly slightly better fuel economy, 2500 to 3000 cheaper than a new rider, less tracking. Does anyone have any comparison to a rider, should I just buy a new rider, or look to a new Vantage any opinions welcome.

JayD
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
All I use is walk behinds, but would like to get a stander and would before a rider for sure unless I landed some really big lots to mow.

93Chevy
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Bagging on riders is so much better than standers and walk behinds. You have so much more capacity and less width increase. I hate bagging with walk behinds. I can't speak on the stander bagging ability, but seeing as they use the same style side bagging units as walk behinds, I'd argue that riders bag better than standers also.

JayD
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Bagging on riders is so much better than standers and walk behinds. You have so much more capacity and less width increase. I hate bagging with walk behinds. I can't speak on the stander bagging ability, but seeing as they use the same style side bagging units as walk behinds, I'd argue that riders bag better than standers also.

aw man, don't say that...I was going to buy a bagger for my walk behind this year...:cry: I wont be using it all the time, just on a couple that have a tree or two in the front...I'm tired of working the leaves to the street, then have to clean them up. These are corner lots.

93Chevy
01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
aw man, don't say that...I was going to buy a bagger for my walk behind this year...:cry: I wont be using it all the time, just on a couple that have a tree or two in the front...I'm tired of working the leaves to the street, then have to clean them up. These are corner lots.

It's okay man, if you've never had the pleasure of bagging with a rider, then you won't know what you're missing so you probably won't think it's that bad.

djagusch
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
A stander to replace 52" rider or smaller yes. 60" and larger no. You will need something for bagging and that is the rider.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
If you buy a bagger for a walk behind make sure that you get one that is not metal all the way around....if your not carefull you will bend it up in a heartbeat and it is real easy to dig those into the ground or grab some vinyl with them...just speaking from experience

JayD
01-26-2011, 06:58 PM
If you buy a bagger for a walk behind make sure that you get one that is not metal all the way around....if your not carefull you will bend it up in a heartbeat and it is real easy to dig those into the ground or grab some vinyl with them...just speaking from experience

Thanks.....Yeah, I was thinking that it would take some getting used to LOL. Big problem will be where to put it. It wont fit on the trailer while on the mower and the truck bed has a hard cap, no room in there, that's where all my blowers, gas cans, hedge trimmer, rakes, and shovels ride. I will have to make a rack or something mounted on the trailer to hold it. I'm good at that kind of stuff.

Lux Lawn
01-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Yes, Standers are very good mowers. Like you mentioned it takes less space they are very maneuverable and better on some hills then riders. I have had at least one for years now.

delphied
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Ive got a 66 Exmark Lazer and a 48 Toro Grandstand. I like sitting on the 66 on my big lawns where Im actually mowing steady for over a half hour. If I had all smaller lawns I would go with Stand ons all the way. I dont bag much but when I do my Accelerator on the 66 is dandy.

JayD
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
that's another good reason for a stander, the trailer space...

mowerbrad
01-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I'll have a stander this year but secondary to the rider. The ztr will be for bagging and larger lawns while the stander will be used on smaller properties.

jay12
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
just to be clear I have another exmark 60 that I will keep. I will either trade the older 60 to a new vantage 52 and keep the newer 60 or just get another new one like I have 29/60 I believe.

JayD
01-26-2011, 08:53 PM
just to be clear I have another exmark 60 that I will keep. I will either trade the older 60 to a new vantage 52 and keep the newer 60 or just get another new one like I have 29/60 I believe.

It would be nice having all the different mower options to use. I would do that then. You will like it.

Lux Lawn
01-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I have always like the standers for both small and big lawns.
On the small lawns you can squeeze it in lots of tight spots & some people don't like a large rider on small lawns. For the big lawns it still fast enough to cut them without having to walk.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
01-26-2011, 09:41 PM
There's so many advantages of standers over ztrs that I wouldn't want to take up many paragraphs here. Overall productivity on small to medium jobs is my biggest concern. On and off he trailer fast. Versatility. Easy decision.

grassman177
01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
depends on what you are mowing as to the switch up. if it is true 60 in mowing areas then by all means go for a rider. but if it is difficult terrain one way or the other, but a 60 is totally possible, then go for a ride on.

that is how i do it, and it seems to be the best on the turf too.

Frank's Lawn Care
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM

I have a wb with sd. was told a mulcher does leaves better. Just do them before they pile up. Or i blow in a pile and use my 21" bagger.

bustutah
02-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I've had a 36 inch ferris cloth bag. Bagged almost every single yard for 3 years. Workes Great. Don't be afraid to bag with them. Just keep the tires psi correct.

123Lawn
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
my personal opinion, i would never replace a rider with a stander the standers are a little difficult to get used to and they ride hard if you have some rough lawns i ran one for a couple of weeks and hated it but thats only my opinion

jeannewyatt
02-02-2011, 05:45 AM
I run standers through cutting season. I never bag, only mulch or side discharge. Easy on and off to pick up thash and debris and a lot less room on the trailer. On my big lots, I can fit 2 standers, my 36" and push mower. I did buy a walker for leaf season. It barely fits on the trailer with the one stander and the 36", and it is way slower then the standers. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrunoT
02-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Its about time to trade off a mower, one of our exmark 60" riders, and was looking at the new exmark vantage mowers, less trailer space to take up, possibly slightly better fuel economy, 2500 to 3000 cheaper than a new rider, less tracking. Does anyone have any comparison to a rider, should I just buy a new rider, or look to a new Vantage any opinions welcome.

Not sure if the price differential is that big or not, if engines and deck sizes as well as features are accounted for. May be the case. With smaller stand ons they're not that far from Rider territory w/o promotional pricing deals.

If i were mowing properties large enough to require a 60" deck rider, I'd probably much prefer sitting for the long periods of time required to finish the jobs. I have tooled around on standers and though it's less effort than using a sulky, standing and balancing is still more effort than sitting. Employees might appreciate it as well. I assume they could do more damage to property and themselves with either a ZTR or a stand-on than a walk behind.

I think of stand ons differently, I'd be more likely to replace a walk-behind/sulky setup used in smaller tighter areas with one than a rider used in bigger areas. Though if turf damage is an issue, you might gain some advantages with the large stand-ons.

mtmower
09-24-2011, 08:08 AM
my personal opinion, i would never replace a rider with a stander the standers are a little difficult to get used to and they ride hard if you have some rough lawns i ran one for a couple of weeks and hated it but thats only my opinion

I agree I can run my 60" and 66" ztrs faster and anywhere you can get a stander and some places you can't (steep slopes). I have ride on classen aerators and z spray sprayer/fertilizer machines and am happy when the day is ended so I can get in my hot tub. The only reason for a stander in my case would be to fit through a gate that's too narrow for my big machines.
Have you considered one of the hybrid mowers that look like a stand on with a seat sort of like a bike? I've been curious to try on out.

Promise-Land
09-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I am fairly new to the commercial mowing arena, so my opinion is buffeted with lack of years on either type machine. With that said I spent this entire mowing season with my Toro Grandstand 52". I have become (at least I think) extremely efficient with the Grandstand. I can mow flats, tight areas, hills, slopes, you name it with confidence and speed. Standing all day yard after yard honestly brings very little fatigue to me. I often say to myself during the day "I love this machine".

Last week I picked up a Toro Z Master 52" with an E-Z vac collection system. With a week under my belt with the Z Master I do believe at this point I can mow much faster and tighter with the Grandstand. Like I stated earlier though the time spent on either machine is limited compared to others here. With time on the Z Master I am sure I will become much more proficient, but I will say I believe the Grandstand will still win in the efficiency category around small/medium size yards with landscape features. The line of sight from the stand up position is clearly more advantageous than sitting down postion. I also feel after a few days on the Z master that I honestly felt more tired than after standing all day on the Grandstand. The big difference is going to be with bagging. The catcher for a Grandstand cannot compete with the collection system on a ZTR.

Bottom line conclusion. At this point if just mowing and discharging I would choose the Grandstand over my ZTR rider no matter what size yard. With time perhaps that will change.

dutchacres
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I am a big lover of stand ons for the proper property. If I had a lot of residental, small commercials like gas stations. resturaunts and apartment complexes I would run a stander hands down over a rider. If the property has a bunch of steep hills or ponds I would stick with either a walkbehind or rider. It is all depending on what kind of accounts you have. I am actually demoing a Grandstand this week to replace my Pro V walkbehind. I have ran Deere and Wright standers for about 5 years now. If I was you I would try out a Wright as that is there bread and butter. The one I tried was AWESOME it cuts good, held hills well and was FAST and comfortable to run for long periods of time.