PDA

View Full Version : Better Business Bereau

tjlco
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
I know ther was a recent thread regarding the BBB. I have never intended on joining them or anything, as the general idea I got from the last thread was they are a sham anyway..Today I get a letter from them, one of my former customers complained saying I didn't do what I said I would for the price. (it was 55.00 for 2 mowings) which we did. She went on about some other lies blah blah blah. So they demand I respond to resolve the matter. I emailed short and sweet saying she's full poop, (in a nice proffesional way). Couls I be in troube here???

GTC1187
01-26-2011, 06:49 PM
The BBB is a private company, if someone complains about you they give you a chance for rebuttal. But you may have the black eye on your record with them, that's about all that can happen.

bohiaa
01-26-2011, 06:58 PM
It was a good idela when it 1st came out, UMMMM I think in the 70's < may b wrong,

it was about the only way a person had a way of checking out a contractor.

It was pretty common to ask are you a member of the BBB.

all's a person could do is call the bbb and see if there was a complaint against a company, THAT's IT.

I kno they got into trouble for slander a long time ago. But now days, it's a joke.

Dont loose sleep over it

tjlco
01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I didn't think so, and don't they charge to be a member? Just to have the BBB sticker???

Exact Rototilling
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
ZERO intention of becoming a BBB member here but I'm glad to see that Ryan Cookson from aeration freedom [former site sponsor] has an F rating on the BBB web site. :hammerhead:.... :laugh:

I'm not the only one here on lawnsite who had issues with him. His web site is down as well. Never delivered what he committed to.

http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-reviews/lawn-maintenance/aeration-freedommail-returned-in-newmarket-on-1208600

GreenI.A.
01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
its a complete sham. All they do is try to get money outa big thing on of you. There was 20/20 or dateline or one of the other national news shows. They were talking how if you have a bad review with bbb they will take it off the record if you pay them

WenzelOSLLC
01-26-2011, 08:04 PM
its a complete sham. All they do is try to get money outa big thing on of you. There was 20/20 or dateline or one of the other national news shows. They were talking how if you have a bad review with bbb they will take it off the record if you pay them

Not only would they take a bad record off, you could pay to get a 'A' rating or whatever you wanted for a certain price. Of course when confronted about it, they claimed to do no such thing....but they gotta make money some how right?

rwaters
01-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I looked up our older store to see its rating one time we have over 20 years without a single complaint and only a c. They offered me a A for $500... I am not even kidding about this. They told me I would just have to answer a few questions and once I paid they would enter the data in and I would have an A.

I refused to pay I am happy with my C if they will just sell the A rating.

tjlco
01-27-2011, 06:58 AM
What irritatea me the most is, its not a valid complaint. That means anyone can call the BBB and file a complaint on any company, and its always there. Well I suppose thats the way it goes, makes me dislike this business more and more...

muxx
01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
I know here we only joined because they offered 12% off of our business insurance to be a member. Only reason.

Jason Rose
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't worry a whole lot. I think the BBB is an almost forgotten name. Look at what's advertized now to look up local contractors. Angies list is one (which sounds like some sort of "a child has been abducted be on the lookout" name to me) and there's others, just watch TV, they advertize them frequently. I'd bet they are about the same sort of deal though.

I have had calls from the BBB wanting me to pay for a membership and they had to get my credit card info NOW, the offer for me to join was only for that day and if I didn't pay, over the phone, with my credit card right now the person claimed they didn't know how long it would be before they offered me a "membership" again. That was the first time. The second time, different sales tactics but also pushy and wanting me to give them credit card and other info over the phone. I honestly told them, This is the kind of thing I should be calling the BBB about, can I call the BBB about the scam you are pulling here? There wasn't much conversation after that.

green_mark
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes the BBB is a fraud in my eyes. I have refused to be a member when they pulled the cash for ratings game.

Then I had a problem with a company called Cbeyond. This is a phone company who has an A+ rating with the BBB. This company provided terrible service and once I started to look online found out they have an extreme amount of serious complaints against them.

So I filed a complaint with the BBB no resolution from Cbeyond but I did notice that my complaint was not added to their web profile...as yet. After seeing how many people have reported them to various organizations I find it really hard to believe that they only have 207 complaints.

A number of businesses around here now put up a NO CBEYOND sign in their door.

Maybe we should be doing the same with the BBB? :)