PDA

View Full Version : Spring Clean-up

POWER STROKE
01-26-2011, 08:00 PM
I was just wondering when does everyone usually start their spring clean-ups. I know weather conditions vary when we can start them. also what does every one off in a spring clean-up.

KLC LAWN
01-26-2011, 08:26 PM
As soon as weather allows, generally mid March in my area

fireman gus
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
We normally start around the 1st. of March. Normally we just scalp or dethatch the Bermuda grass at a rate of 3 or 4 times a normal mowing. If the client wants more we charge an hourly rate for the extra work.

StihlBR600
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
This will be my first year doing spring cleanups and i was wondering is scalping the dead grass is a common thing to do. If so what other things does a spring cleanup consist of?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-27-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't formally offer 'spring cleanups'. Will do bed cleanups and dethatching as requested - if the job looks reasonable.
I don't have time for full monty cleanups - too labor intensive and not worth as much to me as 1st round ferts which start about the same time.

FinerCutslawnCare
01-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I think halfway through march or maybe at the end of march. I will have to take a look at old invoices. It all does depend on how wet it is still to.

Smallaxe
01-27-2011, 07:53 AM
This will be my first year doing spring cleanups and i was wondering is scalping the dead grass is a common thing to do. If so what other things does a spring cleanup consist of?

Scalping cool season grasses, is not a customary practice, to my knowledge. The shortest cut of the year is just as it it going dormant for the winter.

Spring cleanup = leaves etc. Not much else...
If you want to run a dethatcher, it is best to wait until after a couple of mowings when the grass roots are firmly in the soil.

bobcat48
01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Me.Beginning of April.