PDA

View Full Version : 37 HP Kawasaki model FX1000V

Thunderhead
01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Ok, lots of questions here...

Do ya'll know if Kawasaki is having problems with their 37 HP engine? I'm referring to the FX1000V carbureted model...

Are any of you out there running this engine? If so, how many hours do you have on it and what problems have you had with it? If you've had problems, what were they? Did your dealer or Kawasaki cover it under warranty?

How would you say it is on fuel consumption? Good, Bad, Ugly?

To those of you who own, previously owned, use, or have previously used this engine, WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE?

I'd Greatly Appreciate your input and/or any information you have on this.

**Not intending to have this thread get blown out of proportion**

Thank You

aroddy
01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I've got a Ferris IS3100Z 37/72, but it's the one with Fuel Injection. The fuel injection sips fuel considering its a 37 hp powerplant with a 72 deck. It gets right around 1.8 gph. The only thing negative I would say about this engine is that sometimes on start up it will blow out some blue smoke for 2-3 seconds then quit. But sometimes it won't do it for a few days, but then somedays it will do it everytime you start it. Its really wierd. Kawasaki tells me that thier big block engines (29 to 37 hp) have the "tendency" for the rocker arms to become "slightly" misaligned on start ups. Which would make total sense. But it makes me iffy sometimes. But now since kawi came out with a 3 year warranty on their four stroke engines, thats some good re-assuarance. Other than the start-up thing I love the engine. Its a total powerhouse...I wouldn't hesitate to buy another

Mickhippy
01-27-2011, 12:23 AM
subscribed......

Thunderhead
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I've got a Ferris IS3100Z 37/72, but it's the one with Fuel Injection. The fuel injection sips fuel considering its a 37 hp powerplant with a 72 deck. It gets right around 1.8 gph. The only thing negative I would say about this engine is that sometimes on start up it will blow out some blue smoke for 2-3 seconds then quit. But sometimes it won't do it for a few days, but then somedays it will do it everytime you start it. Its really wierd. Kawasaki tells me that thier big block engines (29 to 37 hp) have the "tendency" for the rocker arms to become "slightly" misaligned on start ups. Which would make total sense. But it makes me iffy sometimes. But now since kawi came out with a 3 year warranty on their four stroke engines, thats some good re-assuarance. Other than the start-up thing I love the engine. Its a total powerhouse...I wouldn't hesitate to buy another

Thanks for your reply. About how many hours would you say you have on the engine?

Thunderhead
01-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Anybody else care to chime in on this long thread? lol

HenryB
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Do a search. Yes they have had major problems

aroddy
01-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for your reply. About how many hours would you say you have on the engine?

I got around 231hrs so far....just got it last year

Thunderhead
01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I got around 231hrs so far....just got it last year

Do you use a synthetic engine oil?

StihlMechanic
01-28-2011, 11:09 PM
do a search on here, they have had LOTS of issues with that engine. I have replaced 15 this year alone.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 12:26 AM
do a search on here, they have had LOTS of issues with that engine. I have replaced 15 this year alone.

I've searched...
What are the problems with them that you are having/seeing? Were those 2011 model engines??

Thanks!

StihlMechanic
01-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Valves break. The engine usually goes out between 400-800 hours. Pass on it. The good thing is if it goes out under warr, you get a new engine, IF the dealer is worth a crap. I would pass on the FX series altogether. Depending on the make of your mower (toro, hustler, ect) there are other engines available. Look at a Kohler Command, Briggs Vanguard BB, Evan the FH series Kawi. I highly recommend you avoid the FX. You will not get many hours from it.

LCPullman
01-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Valves break. The engine usually goes out between 400-800 hours. Pass on it. The good thing is if it goes out under warr, you get a new engine, IF the dealer is worth a crap. I would pass on the FX series altogether. Depending on the make of your mower (toro, hustler, ect) there are other engines available. Look at a Kohler Command, Briggs Vanguard BB, Evan the FH series Kawi. I highly recommend you avoid the FX. You will not get many hours from it.

Are you in on the sales side of these engines as well as the repair? What I'm wondering is how many of these are sold compared to how many come in and need a new engine. If you have replaced 15 or so, is that like half or a quarter or just a small percentage of the ones sold?
If your dealer sold 150 and you only repaired 15 that might not be as bad as if you sold 20 and 15 of them came back.

HenryB
01-29-2011, 03:30 PM
I've owned two of these both failed at about 450hrs w/in a couple of months. Worst engines I ever owned and I've owned a lot.

Mickhippy
01-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Im not happy that Hustler are using the 37kawi on there new machine. I would of been very happy if they used the Briggs 35 or even a Kohler efi (up to 40hp)

Im just not sure Id trust an engine (37hp) that has had so many problems.
I mean, the new SZ is a keeper for up to 5yrs (hydro warranty) but if the engine goes out after 3.5yrs, ya screwed!
Why they didnt go with the DFI is beyond me. I know they had the dfi on some machines through testing, dealer demos and I heard REALLY good things about it. But now, I may have to look elsewhere for my next machine.
Id say the new SZ will be up around the $22-$25000 mark here. Thats a lot of money on something that has an engine with a dubious past!

Would still demo new SZ but I have a lot of other brands around here now. Scag for one and Im very interested in the Cheetah.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 04:39 PM
This is why I'm VERY VERY Interested in the FX Series 37 hp Kawasaki engine. I'm thinking of upgrading my current Super Z that has the 31 hp FX Kawasaki to the new 2011 Super Z.

What about the 37 hp Kawasaki DFI engine? Is it any good? Will it be offered on the new 2011 Super Z ??

...Making me nervous reading all this. But I must have the truth.

Mickhippy
01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
I knew why you started this thread mate, thats why I subscribed! I was going to do the same thing. We are both in the same boat as I have the 31kawi SZ as well, and was going to upgrade to the new SZ. If it had the DFI it would almost be a sure thing but now Im not so sure. I am VERY suspect of the 37.
I dont think the 31hp (which isnt a bad engine IMO, but has issues like back firing) is going to be enough engine for the new SZ. Theres what, 120kg more weight in the new SZ alone and bigger hydro system. Why did they bypass the 34hp?

PJ said they dont have plans for the 37dfi and or have had problems getting them. I doubt we'd see the dfi in this first round of machines. Maybe future versions, I dont know!

All I know is, I am absolutely gutted about these engine options! How can I spend all the extra money if I dont trust the engine? Like I said, this is a keeper machine, a machine you'd keep for a few thousand hours. How can we keep it for so long when there are engine issues? Give the engines the same warranty as the hydro system and I wouldnt have a problem!

HenryB
01-29-2011, 05:28 PM
My advice DO NOT GET THE KAWASAKI 37 HP.The two I had both blew up less than 450hrs. From the start loud, backfired, oil turned black almost immediately. A gas hog it was shocking. My bet maybe Hustler got a great price on a boat load of them. If that's the case a bad move. I don't know why Hustler would even offer them.

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 05:32 PM
All I know is, I am absolutely gutted about these engine options! How can I spend all the extra money if I dont trust the engine? Like I said, this is a keeper machine, a machine you'd keep for a few thousand hours. How can we keep it for so long when there are engine issues? Give the engines the same warranty as the hydro system and I wouldnt have a problem!

From what I'm reading about the 37 hp Kawasaki, I have to agree with you 100%.... Not sure what to do!!

Thunderhead
01-29-2011, 05:46 PM
My advice DO NOT GET THE KAWASAKI 37 HP.The two I had both blew up less than 450hrs. From the start loud, backfired, oil turned black almost immediately. A gas hog it was shocking. My bet maybe Hustler got a great price on a boat load of them. If that's the case a bad move. I don't know why Hustler would even offer them.

From reading your statement, Kawasaki would be coming out way ahead if they could sell me a 37 hp because it would take me (from my figuring of about only 70 engine hours per 1.5 years) 9 years to put 420 hours on the engine/machine.

When you go buy a tractor, or piece of heavy equipment, a person normally doesn't necessarily look at the "age" of it; but looks mainly at the "hours", and of course overall condition.

As much maintenance as I do to my stuff, I had better get AT LEAST 3000 hours out of a small engine before anything major should happen, regardless of age.

aroddy
01-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Do you use a synthetic engine oil?

At the time kawasaki had a deal going where you buy a product with their FX series engine and bought a case of oil with it, kawi would extend the warranty two years....4 years total. I jus had to have my dealer register it at the purchase. So I used the Kawasaki 10w/40 oil. Non-synthetic.

I'm kinda surprised with all the complaints on the Kawi big blocks. Even somebody said stay away from kawi FX series all together?!?! I got a guy who bought a ferris with the 34hp big block kawi with 1200 hrs and it has the same problem as mine with the smoke but its been a beast for him. He runs a mulch kit with gator blades and its a carbed model. But he loves it as much as I do mine. Hopefully I don't run into these problems. My best friend has a 25hp kawi FX with 2750hrs and it runs like it did new.

LawnGuy73
01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Subscibing.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderhead
01-30-2011, 06:01 PM
I knew why you started this thread mate, thats why I subscribed! I was going to do the same thing. We are both in the same boat as I have the 31kawi SZ as well, and was going to upgrade to the new SZ. If it had the DFI it would almost be a sure thing but now Im not so sure. I am VERY suspect of the 37.
I dont think the 31hp (which isnt a bad engine IMO, but has issues like back firing) is going to be enough engine for the new SZ. Theres what, 120kg more weight in the new SZ alone and bigger hydro system. Why did they bypass the 34hp?

PJ said they dont have plans for the 37dfi and or have had problems getting them. I doubt we'd see the dfi in this first round of machines. Maybe future versions, I dont know!

I'm with you on this Mick! And I BETTER get at least 3000 hours out of my engine/ machine without major problems, especially since I don't mow commercially! For what I'm cutting now with a Super Z, it would take me about 9 years to achieve around 420 hours or so!

Man this engine has got me nervous!!!!

StihlMechanic
02-06-2011, 06:42 PM
You can change the oil every 2 hours, clean the air filter everyday, change the fuel filter once a month, but the BB FX will still blow up. Valve train issues, no maintenance will cure that. Get a Vanguard or Kohler or Kubota engine if available in the make your partial to. Hustler makes an awesome machine, but the fx is junk. If you read all the bad news on these threads and still get an FX, well then, you're a moron. Sorry.

Mickhippy
02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Ive noticed the Toro have pulled the 37 from there G3 line up!

djagusch
02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Knowing kawi they got the issues figured out. I would say if the engine is a fresh unit (off kawis assembly line) it will be fine. The new old stock is what could still have issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
02-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't think the smaller FX models are having the problems that the big blocks are.

Thunderhead
02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
You can change the oil every 2 hours, clean the air filter everyday, change the fuel filter once a month, but the BB FX will still blow up. Valve train issues, no maintenance will cure that. Get a Vanguard or Kohler or Kubota engine if available in the make your partial to. Hustler makes an awesome machine, but the fx is junk. If you read all the bad news on these threads and still get an FX, well then, you're a moron. Sorry.

I appreciate your honesty...

Ok, I have an '09 SZ with the 31 hp Kawasaki FX850V. CODE: FX850V-BS08-R and E/NO: FX850VA08622.

I've got 70 hours on the machine. Only problem I've had so far was a completely clogged fuel filter. Will change to synthetic oil when I do my first initial Spring maintenance.

So what I'm asking is, from YOUR experience, how many hours do you think I should get out of THIS engine before I have major problems? Anything I should be looking (or listening) for once it gets "X" number of hours??

I'm assuming you prefer Kohler over Kawasaki (I've always been the opposite)...

Thanks.

Thunderhead
02-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't think the smaller FX models are having the problems that the big blocks are.

What do you mean by "smaller" FX models? I thought all the FX series engines are big block engines? Just asking (and learning)...

djagusch
02-06-2011, 08:56 PM
What do you mean by "smaller" FX models? I thought all the FX series engines are big block engines? Just asking (and learning)...

Its been awhile since I've been on my vride but it has a 24hp fx engine and the 52 has a 26hp fx engine. I'm pretty sure the 34hp and 37hp engines share the same cases while the 31hp is a smaller version. Just going off memory but I believe that is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
02-06-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 24hp FX.

BINKY1902
02-06-2011, 09:01 PM
This is the FX line. They range from 16hp-37hp I believe.

http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/series.aspx?id=5

djagusch
02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Its been awhile since I've been on my vride but it has a 24hp fx engine and the 52 has a 26hp fx engine. I'm pretty sure the 34hp and 37hp engines share the same cases while the 31hp is a smaller version. Just going off memory but I believe that is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

This correct. They have 4 different fx sized engines. 999cc which have 34/37hp, 852cc 31/29/27hp, 726 cc 26/24/22hp, and 603cc 20/18/16hp. It appears the 999cc engines have had the issues. The 999cc also have a dfi option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderhead
02-06-2011, 09:09 PM
...Did not know all this.

Should I be concerned with my 31 hp Kawasaki??

Thunderhead
02-06-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm thinking this is enough info alone, for me to stay away from the 2011 Super Z with the 37 hp Kawasaki...

LCPullman
02-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Actually Toro never had the 37 hp option, but they did switch from the 34 Kawasaki to a 34 Kohler - again not a good sign for Kawasaki.

Mickhippy
02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
They did have the 37 Kawi over here as far as I know.
I have also been told (by a very good source) that it was also about some of the components Toro were using. Just couldnt handle the torque of the 37 Kawi. Hydro system if I remember correctly being one of the issues.

LCPullman
02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I have also been told (by a very good source) that it was also about some of the components Toro were using. Just couldnt handle the torque of the 37 Kawi. Hydro system if I remember correctly being one of the issues.

Oh okay, here in the states I don't believe they ever did, but companies do different things in different markets.

torotorotoro
02-08-2011, 01:29 PM

when i bought my g3 the biggest motor i could get was the 34.that was the fall of 09.i now have over 700 hrs on it . no engine problem yet .i do use synthetic oil,and i try to keep up on the oil changes. i read on here that someone said that toro was switching from kal to kohler. i hope this is not true.i was going to buy another g3 this summer.i was going to get a 29 horse kal. the 34 is a gas guzzler.but it really has power.

LCPullman
02-08-2011, 02:23 PM
when i bought my g3 the biggest motor i could get was the 34.that was the fall of 09.i now have over 700 hrs on it . no engine problem yet .i do use synthetic oil,and i try to keep up on the oil changes. i read on here that someone said that toro was switching from kal to kohler. i hope this is not true.i was going to buy another g3 this summer.i was going to get a 29 horse kal. the 34 is a gas guzzler.but it really has power.

Only the 34hp engine is going to Kohler. They still have the 29 hp Kawasaki.

torotorotoro
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Only the 34hp engine is going to Kohler. They still have the 29 hp Kawasaki.

glad i got mine when i did.its great to know that you have the power when needed with 34 horse but definatly every day mowing 29 horse will be fine. the toro i had before had a 27 kohler.it bogged down in alot of different occations,but i really noticed the gas difference

beaver29
03-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Well guys I upgrade my 09' 31/60 SZ to an 11' 31/60 SZ. I do feel a little power lost with the new machine but not much. The new hydraulics and deck is awesome. I stayed away from the 37 becase of all the bad comments I heard on the formum. So far I am very satisfied with the new machine.

stevesmowing
03-05-2011, 03:37 PM
How does the cut compare? I have an 08 SZ I am looking to buy a 2011
Posted via Mobile Device

beaver29
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I have not cut any good grass yet. I have cut clover about 1' tall with no clumping out of the chute and no stragglers left behind. To me that is impressive. Seems like the new deck creates more vaccum then previous models.

Lordtimothy
03-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I have had 29 Kaw and they have been very solid engine. Think the big blocks seem to be the ones having the problems.

GFD353
04-25-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a new mower with this engine and have a problem that so far has not been fixed. The problem is after running the engine for about an hour and turning it off. After it has been off for about 10-15 minutes the engine will not start. The problem is that it is vapor locking. There is no gas in the fuel lines. You can take the lines off at the pump and find not gas present. If you apply a vacuum on the fuel feed line and get gas at that point, reconnect to the pump and off she goes. I have had one fix by the manufacturer that was simply to shorten the fuel lines and put plastic covering over both supply and return lines. Still didn't't fix the problem. I spoke the mower manufacturer on fri. And was told that they are aware of the problem and are waiting for kawasaki to come up with the corrective measures. My mower only has 21 hours on it and i do use high test grade of fuel as i was instructed to do. I understand there are lot of this same problem with others. Please advise if i am alone with this problem.

Thunderhead
04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a new mower with this engine and have a problem that so far has not been fixed. The problem is after running the engine for about an hour and turning it off. After it has been off for about 10-15 minutes the engine will not start. The problem is that it is vapor locking. There is no gas in the fuel lines. You can take the lines off at the pump and find not gas present. If you apply a vacuum on the fuel feed line and get gas at that point, reconnect to the pump and off she goes. I have had one fix by the manufacturer that was simply to shorten the fuel lines and put plastic covering over both supply and return lines. Still didn't't fix the problem. I spoke the mower manufacturer on fri. And was told that they are aware of the problem and are waiting for kawasaki to come up with the corrective measures. My mower only has 21 hours on it and i do use high test grade of fuel as i was instructed to do. I understand there are lot of this same problem with others. Please advise if i am alone with this problem.

Have you changed the fuel filter? I had a similar problem with my '09 Super Z/ 31 Kawasaki and the fuel filter was the problem. Dealer changed the fuel filter many hours ago and haven't had a problem since.

aroddy
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
The problem is HEAT! you need to re-route the pump as far away from heat as possible. The heat is making it vapor lock and then making the pump fail completely. Kawasaki is having tons of problems with the pumps. I have sold 3 ferris 3100z's with the same problem and mounted the pump on the oil cooling tower (2011 models) and the problem was resolved.

MJB
04-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Well guys I upgrade my 09' 31/60 SZ to an 11' 31/60 SZ. I do feel a little power lost with the new machine but not much. The new hydraulics and deck is awesome. I stayed away from the 37 becase of all the bad comments I heard on the formum. So far I am very satisfied with the new machine.

Are you saying the new 2011 machine with new hydraulics sucks more power than the old SZ with different wheel motors and pumps?

FerrisE4
05-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi,
I just joined this forum.

I have a Kawasaki 37 FX1000V DFI on a Ferris IS3100Z bought end of year 2010. I put only about 10 hours on it in 2010. I changed the oil and filter and it was real black. This past week I found out in a round about way(long story) that these engines were having problems. The dealer took my serial number and said it needed new heads but not cams, and needed a throttle assembly I think he said. They will order parts and call me when they come in. I asked if I can run the mower and they said yes. On 5/2711 with the machine showing 21.7 hours, I was mowing and the mower just quit, backfired a couple of times and made a loud bang. It is the holiday weekend and will not be able to call my dealer until Tuesday. Any comments/suggestions/advice on how to proceed or what to expect, other than let them fix it would be appreciated. Will this engine be reliable after these fixes or am I in for future problems?
Thanks, FerrisE4

Green King
05-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Any updates on these engines? Mine today just started running on one cylinder this is the second time this has happend to it.

bigsnowdog
05-18-2012, 11:44 PM
I have one in a Ferris 3100, it is carbureted. I learned of the valve problems, but also learned of the upgrades Kawasaki has done. I got both cylinder head assemblies and the cam shaft replaced for free.

I think it is a great engine. This engine on my 61 inch deck is real mowing machine. I mow a reforestation project, so I cut lengths much greater than any residential mower would ever see.

Green King
05-19-2012, 05:59 PM
what are the upgrades? I took off the valve cover and my exhaust valve pushrod cam off. I put it back on but it has about 1/4" gap in it that cannot be adjusted out.

bigsnowdog
05-19-2012, 07:38 PM
The upgrade in my case was as I listed, both cylinder heads and the camshaft.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-20-2012, 01:25 PM
I've got a Ferris IS3100Z 37/72, but it's the one with Fuel Injection. The fuel injection sips fuel considering its a 37 hp powerplant with a 72 deck. It gets right around 1.8 gph. r

Really an 09/2010 model had EFI? first i've heard of that but guess i just wasnt paying attention! you have any photos?

Green King
05-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Well mine apparantly has dropped a valve.

bigsnowdog
05-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Well mine apparantly has dropped a valve.

How old is it? Is the engine or mower still in warranty? Regardless, contact the dealer and Kawasaki. I am thinking if your serial number was eligible for upgrades they will stand behind it.

Mine is just a couple of months less than four years old. My engine had not failed yet, but I was worried. My serial number had not been done, so Kaw paid to have both heads and the cam replaced at no charge.

Don't panic just yet, make your contacts.

WREBELMACHINE
05-26-2012, 08:52 AM
I was getting ready to buy another bobcat and was thinking of one of these engines but I think I will have to go with the kohler engine instead.

bigsnowdog
05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I would like to know if anyone with the newest generation of engine, meaning the newest design revision of the heads, cam, and related parts, has had a problem. I purchased my machine in August of 2008.

banjo
02-11-2014, 03:58 AM
My FX 34hp has just gone in for a rebuild, 3040 hours and was starting to use too much oil. Has been a fantastic motor and i'm hoping it isn't done yet ! A new engine is about $4000 here

Triple L
02-11-2014, 08:30 AM
When did they rework they valve train? I bought a 2013 super z with the 37 and now after reading this thread I'm very worried, myn backfires like crazy most times when you turn it off
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
02-11-2014, 10:31 AM
When did they rework they valve train? I bought a 2013 super z with the 37 and now after reading this thread I'm very worried, myn backfires like crazy most times when you turn it off
Posted via Mobile Device

Every Kawi I've had is just fine and doesn't do the backfiring thing. I drop it back to idle and let it run like that for at least 30 full seconds before turning it off.

Triple L
02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Every Kawi I've had is just fine and doesn't do the backfiring thing. I drop it back to idle and let it run like that for at least 30 full seconds before turning it off.

Me too, myn will backfire good unless it's reved right out and turned off at 3/4 to full throttle, and even then it's touch and go
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
02-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Me too, myn will backfire good unless it's reved right out and turned off at 3/4 to full throttle, and even then it's touch and go
Posted via Mobile Device

That's how my last Kohler was. I can't see a reason the manu's couldn't remedy that.

Mickhippy
02-11-2014, 03:36 PM
My FX 34hp has just gone in for a rebuild, 3040 hours and was starting to use too much oil. Has been a fantastic motor and i'm hoping it isn't done yet ! A new engine is about $4000 here

Youve certainly had great use out of your machine, especially knowing some of the stuff you cut at times.
Hope the re-con does the job for ya. Whats the re-con costing you?

How'd you go with the seat?

As far as the back firing goes, all in all mines been pretty good. I cant always let the engine idle down and rarely get a backfire. I will if, lets say I stop and reach down to pick up a stick and take some weight off the seat, and the engine stuffs off and then back on quickly. Then its like a shot gun going off!
But yeah, good practice to let it idle for a few seconds before shut down. Sometimes I'll let it idle while I tie it down, then turn it off.

StanWilhite
02-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but either turning the engine off at WOT, or opening the throttle to wide open as soon as you turn the engine off, should cure the backfire problem.

Some people worry about turning the engine off at WOT (for fear of hurting it somehow) but if you think about it, the engine doesn't do anything any differently than it does while running at WOT....other than not having a spark to ignite the gas/air mix.

The purpose of the WOT throttle position at shut down is for the momentum of the engine to force the remaining air/fuel out of the muffler so it can't ignite (which causes the backfire).

Choppin
02-12-2014, 12:15 AM
I didn't read the whole thread but either turning the engine off at WOT, or opening the throttle to wide open as soon as you turn the engine off, should cure the backfire problem.

Some people worry about turning the engine off at WOT (for fear of hurting it somehow) but if you think about it, the engine doesn't do anything any differently than it does while running at WOT....other than not having a spark to ignite the gas/air mix.

The purpose of the WOT throttle position at shut down is for the momentum of the engine to force the remaining air/fuel out of the muffler so it can't ignite (which causes the backfire).

Yep I agree...
Posted via Mobile Device

banjo
02-12-2014, 04:20 AM
For the last 6 months mine has been shutting down using the electric fuel shutoff, takes 4 or 5 seconds but alway's shuts down quietly so i'm happy. I would think shutting off with revs on would see unburnt fuel entering the bores washing the oil off the rings etc and contaminate the oil in the sump. I got that sick of the backfire when picking up sticks from the seat, disconected the seat switch, good now. Yes Mick got my new seat $605 but came without armrests, its the same seat as my old Everide so i'll pinch armrests off it.