PDA

View Full Version : LED MR16 Bulbs

emdoller
01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Hello,

I have a few questions I'm hoping I can get answered. I've been thinking about converting all my MR16 bulbs to LED to save $ and perhaps add more lights (power). I've looked on ebay and can see that they have a wide selection. The ones that have caught my eye are:

Item #: 370477120202

I've also noticed that there are sponsors on this website that have a nice selection as well albeit MUCH more expensive (5X or so).

Can anyone tell me what the REAL difference is before I purchase them?

Thanks!!
Ed

irrig8r
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
All I'm going to say is "caveat emptor"...

Do a little research on LEDs before you buy and learn about terms like CRI, CCT, ANSI binning, junction temperature, thermal management, Lumens/ Watt, etc.

Are the ones offered on ebay forthcoming with their specs? Do they offer any kind of warranty?

Sometimes you get what you pay for... other times you just get screwed.

emdoller
01-27-2011, 03:23 PM
All I'm going to say is "caveat emptor"...

Do a little research on LEDs before you buy and learn about terms like CRI, CCT, ANSI binning, junction temperature, thermal management, Lumens/ Watt, etc.

Are the ones offered on ebay forthcoming with their specs? Do they offer any kind of warranty?

Sometimes you get what you pay for... other times you just get screwed.

Thanks... that's what I'm trying to do :)

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone has used the LED's referenced?

David Gretzmier
01-28-2011, 12:03 AM
I have tested several ebay and also direct china ( deal extreme, kaidomain) mr-16's, and the difference is consistancy. order 4 and you will get 4 different colors and outputs. you may not be able to tell the difference, but I can . most all tend to run cooler color temperatures, even though though they quote warm white or 3000k. most are 4000k and up. I would say the output varies by 20 % or so, which again, some folks may not notice, but if you line 3-5 of them up on a fence or home it looks like you have set the fixtures wrong.

most cheap LED bulbs also don't last very long. being in an enclosed fixture tends to shorten thier life considerably.

I will say some cheapies are very bright, and good for flashlights, bike lights, maybe backyard security motion lights, but not really for something you want to look good or last a long time.

but also, cheapies have gotten way better, and probably will continue to improve.

Illumicare
01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
I would recommend you stay away from 'cheapies" and no-name, generic LED lamps. They offer low optical quality, low component quality, marginal performance and are not designed to be used in enclosed fixtures or in humid / moist environments.

All Illumicare LED lamps have been designed and engineered specifically for use in outdoor lighting systems. They are true 'drop in' replacements, offering excellent optical performance.

There has been a lot of discussion and information sharing about LED lamps here on Lawnsite. If you do a search on the topic you will find answers to most of your questions. If you have any specific questions please do not hesitate to ask here, or contact us directly at sales@illumicaregroup.com