PDA

View Full Version : Under Soffit Installation

emby
01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Hello all,

I want to mount a few architectual fixtures under the soffit and the only path for my wire is up the downspout, into the eavestrough and then to the fixture. What methods do you suggest to conceal the wire coming out of the eavestrough to the fixtures?
Many thanks

Ken

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi Ken. How about some more information? What is the soffit material? What is the Fascia material? What fixture are you mounting?

emby
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi James,

This is just a picture of the garage but the same is for the rest of the residence. Eavestrough is copper. Fixtures will be surface mounted under overhang in various locations.
I was hoping that I would not have to enter the interior to wire. Might have to.

Ken

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi Ken. Looks like T&G boards for soffit and probably wood fascia behind the troughs. Do you know if the troughs hang down a bit lower than the surface of the soffit? It is hard to tell if they do, or if they are flush. If they do hang below the soffit a bit then things will be easier for you.

Either way I have a method I have used in this same situation. Its a bit detailed, probably easier for me to just tell you on the phone than to type it all out. Im in crunch time getting ready to go to AOLP. Call me tonight if you want.

emby
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Will do James. Thank you. I will call later after the kiddies are asleep.

Ken

JoeinJasper
01-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Could you post the techniques and post pictures for those of us on the low end of the learning curve...
Joe

Lite4
01-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Simple, run your wire from the gutter back into the soffit cavity by slipping your wire between the back plate of the fascia and the roof lid coming down. This will put your wire right into the open cavity. I usually mount recessed cans in this situation so once I have cut my hole for the can it is easy to grab the wire and pull it through. If you are undermounting a directinal fixture you will have to work a bit harder at aiming for your hole made for the wire. All in all, its pretty easy to do. Wherever you plan to place your fixture, you need to run your wire straight back from the gutter at that point so you don't have to worry about rafters crossing your path.

emby
01-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks James and thank you Tim. Both of you have great methods of concealing the wire.
Many thanks again and Tim I will look forward to meeting you at AOLP.

Ken

Pro-Scapes
01-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Yep recessed can is what I would use here too provided there is room inside the soffit for the depth. Lightolier LVR2000 is a great one I use often on pillars and other soffit applications. Comes with a built in trans and wires to 120v or you can bypass the transformer and make it a 12v fixture and uses an MR16 so your lamping and lens options are far and wide.

Not sure how that would apply up in Canada but for us in the states they work real slick.

Another trick with copper gutters is to use small copper pipe behind them to hide your wire in. Whenever I go onto a structure I am sure to put an inline fuse inside the transformer so even the slightest short will disable the circuit.

Pro-Scapes
01-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Yep recessed can is what I would use here too provided there is room inside the soffit for the depth. Lightolier LVR2000 is a great one I use often on pillars and other soffit applications. Comes with a built in trans and wires to 120v or you can bypass the transformer and make it a 12v fixture and uses an MR16 so your lamping and lens options are far and wide.

Not sure how that would apply up in Canada but for us in the states they work real slick.

Another trick with copper gutters is to use small copper pipe behind them to hide your wire in. Whenever I go onto a structure I am sure to put an inline fuse inside the transformer so even the slightest short will disable the circuit.