PDA

View Full Version : pics of 80yrds of mulch in a pile

JShe8918
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
So i am thinking about buying mulch in bulk directly from the mulch bagging company, BUT i am worried that the pile might be to large. I have seen a big pile on here somewhere. However i can't seem to find it thru used of the search function. Does anyone have a picture of a bulk mulch pile with an estimate of how many yards it is? Another thing. If i build a three sided stall and put a covering over it how long would the mulch be good for? It is going to be dyed brown double shredded mulch. I don't want it to be faded and what not. Also the only way i can buy it is if i buy an 80 yrd truck load at 16.50 per yard delivered 88 miles! I think it is a steal of a deal being that everyone else wants 28 pr yrd for crappy mulch. What is everyones thoughts and anyone who has a picture please post it up!

Thanks,
Jonathan

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
I get 10-12 80 yard loads a year. My bin is 3 sided. 6' tall, 24' long, 20' wide. The back is 10' tall. Truck backs all the way to back wall. Driver starts the walking floor trailer and shifts the truck into neutral. The trailer pushes the truck forward and the pile stops exactly at the posts everytime. I pay $12 a yard for double hammered PAINTED black. Delivery runs around $350. Mulch sells for $35 a yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-27-2011, 03:18 PM
And bulk is the way to go. The top inch or so will weather and fade but the rest is fine. I don't keep a load very long but I had a load of brown sit for 8 months. When I finally sold it there was some mold but not enough to matter. Top inch was faded and moldy but under that it looked fresh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barefoot James
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
80 yards is a big pile about 20 x 20 ft and 5 feet high. How you gonna get it back in your truck - front end loader? If not you are gonna do lots of shoveling.

What kind of MPG you getting on your 2005 Duramax - Highway unloaded? Loaded in city? I just bought one used with 70K miles with a dump but only 2WD.

JShe8918
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys that takes out alot of my concern. And when it comes to loading that has me confused because i don't want to have to rent a mini skid or a skid steer everytime i do a mulch job. So i am guessing shoveling ALOT! But then measuring out a yard is practically impossible unless you use a 0.22 cu yard wheel barrow!

Now to the truck. When i had 35's and a stock tranny and motor i got about 15 around town (driving 45 to 55 only 4 red lights in town) and 19 on the road both unloaded. Then with my efi live programmer on 35's stock tranny and motor i got about 18 around town and 24ish on the road. Now with a fully built motor, fully built tranny, dual fuelers, injectors,twins, lift pump, lift on 35's i got about 20 around town and 28.5 on the road. With 37's i got about 18 around town and 29-31 depending on driving habits on the road.

Loaded with enclosed trailer 7x16 3ft v nose, 1 turf tiger 61 kawasaki, and walker mt 20, and all the other essentials.
stock on 35's (decent) 12 around town and about 16 on the highway
stock everything(best all around) but with exhaust and efi live i got 14.xx around town and 19 on the road
fully built i (bad) about 10 on the road about 22.
with 37's and fully built (TERRIBLE) 8 to 9 around town and about 19 to 20 on the road

On the up side i can run a 1/8 or 1/4 mile much faster than anyone around town and most sports cars at the track. best trap time of 10.74 and best trap speed of 134

JShe8918
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
The bigger injectors and turbos really killed my towing mpg's. Then again my smallest turbo is significantly bigger than stock and my large turbo is ALOT bigger!

tree_hugger
01-27-2011, 07:05 PM
80 yds is not as big as you think. definetly the best way to go. we go through so much i couldnt imagine paying retail prices for mulch and actually making money. if you can afford to buy that much at a time then i say go for it

JShe8918
01-28-2011, 12:55 AM
I want to do it so bad i can taste it! But i have 3 concerns. 1. where am i going to put it! I have a pasture 20 mins out of the town i do most of my work in that is extremely accessable but still 20 mins out! Option two is my 1 acre yard but i don't know if an semi could get into my back gate it is wide enough but only about 15 foot off the narrow street. 2. measuring out a yard and loading it onto my truck and trailer with out owning a skid steer, front end loader, mini skid, etc. and 3. if i even can sell 80 yards of it. I already know i have about 20 of it sold but that still leaves 60 yards. How i figure it is one yard in bags costs $44.20. so for 20 yards i am going to pay $883.99 with less labor costs being that i won't have to shovel it twice. OR for 20 in bulk for $330 and shovel it twice. Once into the truck and trailer and once at the jobsite. I imagine the $554 will make up for the labor. But i can't imagine doing so. Man if only i could hit the lottery and win $10,000,000. Hell even 10,000 would get me started!

Showpropserv
01-28-2011, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=JShe8918;3872827]I want to do it so bad i can taste it!

Im so sorry for this so dont take offence but...

Thats what she said :laugh:

944own
01-28-2011, 04:36 PM
I know I dont do as much mulch as some of you guys but some saying they cant make money paying retail is crazy because I always buy by the bag it is just easier for me to transport and I always charge the customer double. By that I mean if I buy 100 bags at $3.00 a bag the mulch cost me $300.00 I will charge $600.00 installed I dont think that is that bad and nobody ever complains.

tree_hugger
01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I know I dont do as much mulch as some of you guys but some saying they cant make money paying retail is crazy because I always buy by the bag it is just easier for me to transport and I always charge the customer double. By that I mean if I buy 100 bags at $3.00 a bag the mulch cost me $300.00 I will charge $600.00 installed I dont think that is that bad and nobody ever complains.

ok so 13.5 2cuft bags of mulch equals 1 cu yd which means you pay $300 for 7.5 yds of mulch which breaks down to $40/yd....i pay $12/yd and and would charge $500 for the same job your doing and make more money than you...so thats why i couldn't pay retail for mulch...

944own
01-28-2011, 09:56 PM
ok so 13.5 2cuft bags of mulch equals 1 cu yd which means you pay $300 for 7.5 yds of mulch which breaks down to $40/yd....i pay $12/yd and and would charge $500 for the same job your doing and make more money than you...so thats why i couldn't pay retail for mulch...

The bags I buy at Ace are 3cuft for $3.00 at that rate I pay $27.00 for 1 cu yd so $300 roughly 11 cu yds I pay $300 you pay $132 a difference of $168 then you charge $100 less than me so you make a whopping $68 more than me for all the headache of where do I put all this mulch I need a bobcat ect. See my point

tree_hugger
01-28-2011, 10:20 PM
i have a place to put it and i have a tractor to load it... thing is i can beat your price a 9 out of 10 times and i will get the job...thats how i can stay competitive out

also my double hammered dyed brown hardwood, and shredded natural bark looks alot better than the bagged mulch..

i used to use bag mulch everywhere but it seems to turn grey in two months and customers start complaining that you charged them $600 bucks and the mulch didnt hold up.

just my two cents

tree_hugger
01-28-2011, 10:21 PM
i also go thru 8 tractor truck loads in the spring and 8 in the fall so i save a ton of money in the longrun

944own
01-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Thats cool I was not trying to be a richard cranium about it I dont know the authors situation on how much he uses I was just trying to say you can still make money buying mulch retail. Good luck this season

tree_hugger
01-28-2011, 10:29 PM
good luck to you also

JShe8918
01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Well i don't do a whole heck of a lot of mulch by any means. Last in the past four years i haven't proabably done but about 40 yards of mulch. However i had no business plan, marketing materials, and i wasn't recognized as a landscaper as i am now. I now have my landscape liscense. I also have 4 landscapes signed and ready to go for the spring for a total of 33 yards. I don't see me doing but about 12 landscapes this year. I have a full time job, 20 some odd yards i mow, and have to help run the farm. Also another reason i only say twelve is because in my area we only have 2 certified irrigation installers and no one seems to care enough about their yard to pay their premiums. I am thinking about studying and getting my certification. Then I could cut their high prices to a real world number. For exammple the irrigation system in my yard was $130 per head plus your controller. I have 38 heads iirc. I do remember that i paid $5800 for it. The layout BLOWS coverage is spotty, and they combined sprays and rotaries on the same zone!

Sorry back to the mulch. If i have left overs that's not a big problem because i will still have saved money on materials. 33 cubic yards of mulch in bags cost 1,458.59 or 80 yards for 1320. The heck with it I just answered my own question. I'm just gonna bit the bullet and have it delivered now i just have to hammer out all the details and build a bin for it.