PDA

View Full Version : Trailer peeled like a sardine can.

djchiodo3
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Had a 2004 Cadillac take out my 20' cargo trailer Tuesday morning. Almost hit me head on. He missed the truck but caught the front of trailer which is wider then my truck. Peeled the side off and tore the front tire off the axle. Trailer is totaled. Part of the under frame is bent along with both axles. All lawn equipment was not damaged. Had mulch piled in front of trailer which caught the mower. Trailer was a wells cargo car hauler. Dealer says eight weeks to get replacement. He can, however, get a 20' vnose Lark trailer in six days. Has anyone had any problems with Lark trailers? Their price is $3000 less then the wells cargo. Thanks for your help.

Showpropserv
01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
what no pics That truely sucks and had to hurt a little

A&R Enterprise
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
That SUCKS:cry:.That is the thing i am afraid of when I am towing my 24 ft down the road.Thank goodness none of the equipment got wrecked.Hope things turn out well for ya.

djchiodo3
01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
That SUCKS:cry:.That is the thing i am afraid of when I am towing my 24 ft down the road.Thank goodness none of the equipment got wrecked.Hope things turn out well for ya.

A piece of the trailer went through the driver side door, but then looped outward. If it had turned inward it would have gone through the guy and maybe killed him. We were both lucky. He was cited however, for careless driving. His insurance company, I hope, will cover the cost of another trailer. I have pics on my phone. I am just not sure on how to insert them into the thread.

Showpropserv
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JlY4X4FTk

just remembered this since he was driving a cady

A&R Enterprise
01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
I would like to see pics if you figure it out.
I hope he has allstate.....LOL

djchiodo3
01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JlY4X4FTk

just remembered this since he was driving a cady

He had to be 79 or 80 years old. It was dark and he said he had never driven on this road before. What he did was move over when he saw me coming, but he went off the road. He over corrected steering right back into my trailer.

A&R Enterprise
01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Like I said I hope things go your way and everything is taken care of for ya.:drinkup:

twcw5804
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
send it as a txt message but instead of putting in your phone number put in your email address. If that doesn't work for ya let me know you can text them to me and I'll post them.

Richard Martin
01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/smilies/worthless.gif

freshcut419
01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Had a 2004 Cadillac take out my 20' cargo trailer Tuesday morning. Almost hit me head on. He missed the truck but caught the front of trailer which is wider then my truck. Peeled the side off and tore the front tire off the axle. Trailer is totaled. Part of the under frame is bent along with both axles. All lawn equipment was not damaged. Had mulch piled in front of trailer which caught the mower. Trailer was a wells cargo car hauler. Dealer says eight weeks to get replacement. He can, however, get a 20' vnose Lark trailer in six days. Has anyone had any problems with Lark trailers? Their price is $3000 less then the wells cargo. Thanks for your help.

A friend of mine has a 20 foot Lark Trailer. It is a nice trailer, It seems to be built a little cheaper but still gets the job done. Maybe being built a little cheaper also lighter is not so bad. If all your going to put in in is a few mowers. I would it would last a long time. His is a flat nose I have a 24 foot v-nose. I thought I really wanted a v-nose but I wil never buy one again. It jack knifes really easy because of the short tongue.

integrityman
01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
We want pics! We want pics! We want pics!

jay12
01-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I own an 08 Lark 18 ft enclosed and I really like mine. Its not a v nose, It is built lighter than some but as far as mowing out of it, everything is fine. No problems ever. About 6 months ago I added skids under the rear where it was dragging on banks, etc. That is the only thing I would do if I had a new one. Other than that I like it, I would purchase another one

djchiodo3
01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I own an 08 Lark 18 ft enclosed and I really like mine. Its not a v nose, It is built lighter than some but as far as mowing out of it, everything is fine. No problems ever. About 6 months ago I added skids under the rear where it was dragging on banks, etc. That is the only thing I would do if I had a new one. Other than that I like it, I would purchase another one

I ordered the 20' Vnose with extra foot on tongue length and 5200lb torsion axles. With the heavier axles I get 8ply tires as well. Thanks for your input. Tell me an easy way to get pictures on this site. I do not have texting on my phone, however I can send emails.

djchiodo3
01-27-2011, 08:09 PM

I would love to show you guys the photos. Just tell me how when I do not have texting on my phone. Do you want me to email them directly to you? I will.

djchiodo3
01-27-2011, 08:26 PM
check my album. I think I added two pics so far. Dan

jay12
01-27-2011, 08:44 PM
I wish I wouldve went with a 20 ft but I wasnt thinking, its too tight now for me to get 3 riders in an 18. The heavy axles and tires is a good idea, just weld some rollers or skids in the back in case it drags it wont scar it up, I messed mine up before I figured it out. As far as pictures , email them to yourself from your phone. Then you can save them to your computer and upload them right on to ls.

Quality Cuts PLS
01-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't know where you are located, but I know of a Wells Cargo dealer in Mississippi that has a Brickman trailer that was never picked up. It is a 8 x 24, 10000#, built in fuel tank with pump, cabinets, shelfs, racks, sprayed liner, and lots more. It is a 2008 model, it was over $16000 new, and he is asking around 9000 or so. It is a hell of a deal, I just don't need 24 feet.

djchiodo3
01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't know where you are located, but I know of a Wells Cargo dealer in Mississippi that has a Brickman trailer that was never picked up. It is a 8 x 24, 10000#, built in fuel tank with pump, cabinets, shelfs, racks, sprayed liner, and lots more. It is a 2008 model, it was over $16000 new, and he is asking around 9000 or so. It is a hell of a deal, I just don't need 24 feet.

24' is to long. To replace my damaged trailer with a new wells cargo would be over $9K and the wait time is 8 weeks. The Lark trailer I just order is $5350 out the door and I can get it in 6 days. I just hope his insurance company compensates me for the trailer replacement.

C & T Landscaping
01-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Here ya go:
These are his pictures off of his profile just to make that clear.

JayD
01-27-2011, 10:58 PM

:laugh::laugh:That is too good richard....:laugh::laugh:

Agape
01-28-2011, 02:07 AM
OUCH!! old lady?

Richard Martin
01-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Ewww, that trailer is opened up like a sardine can.

I hope someone has some insurance.

wtxkid
01-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Man I sure would stick with a Wells if it was me, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get running I guess. We have only liked Wells and a few Pace here, but Im sure there are other good ones out there. Seems like a bad enclosed trailer lasts about 6 months though so be careful.

scagrider22
01-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I had a Lark, it was the biggest POS!

gob71
02-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Just to be on the safe side you should also replace your tow hitch on your truck, with a sudden force like that, it could be damaged slightly even though to the naked eye looks fine. Just to be on the safe side, would hate to have a new trailer then the tow hitch fail. I have seen several folks with camper trailers,etc slightly damaged their trailer and not look at the hitch only to have it fail later going down the road.

outlaw1960
02-01-2011, 08:55 AM
After looking at your pics, I am glad I have a Wells Cargo! Most trailers would have been demolished by that kind of impact. I guess the old adage is true, you do get what you pay for......glad no one was hurt!

PLS-Tx
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Wow, that looks bad.

Post some pics of the new trailer when you get it.

djchiodo3
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Just to be on the safe side you should also replace your tow hitch on your truck, with a sudden force like that, it could be damaged slightly even though to the naked eye looks fine. Just to be on the safe side, would hate to have a new trailer then the tow hitch fail. I have seen several folks with camper trailers,etc slightly damaged their trailer and not look at the hitch only to have it fail later going down the road.

That is a good Idea. They are replacing my weight distribution hitch and receiver, but I did not see any damage to my tow hitch under the truck. I will drop it this weekend to inspect. Had the alignment checked on the truck and it was fine. New trailer should arrive next week. The snow is slowing things down. Been working out of my backup trailer which is a 16 foot flatbed. I do miss my 20ft enclosed.

djchiodo3
02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I had a Lark, it was the biggest POS!

I did go with a Lark. I researched on the net and I found a lot of comments on Lark Trailers. Some good and some bad. I addressed the negative comments on the Lark trailer when I ordered the trailer. For example, I went with 5200lb torsion axles which came standard with 8ply heavy duty tires. I had the tongue extended so I would not jack knife into the bumper. I ordered extra hinges on the tail gate ramp. Side vents in combination with roof vents to cool trailer. I am installing either heavy duty caster wheels on the back bottom corners or a skid plate so the trailer is not damaged when coming off a sloped drive or parking lot. The floor is 3/4 marine plywood so it does not rot. I may gator coat it later. I ordered this trailer from a place I do a lot of business with. They have never let me down and always treated me good.

abstontino
02-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Even though you got the heavier axles, keep an eye on them. A buddy bought a Lark exactly like you described from a local dealer and popped welds on one of the axles, almost lost the entire trailer while going down the interstate. Lark stood by their product though and gave him the choice of fixing it at no cost or replacing the entire trailer. They repaired it and it has been solid ever since. Before anyone asks, he didn't replace it because he had to much time, money and effort into getting like he liked it.

djchiodo3
02-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Even though you got the heavier axles, keep an eye on them. A buddy bought a Lark exactly like you described from a local dealer and popped welds on one of the axles, almost lost the entire trailer while going down the interstate. Lark stood by their product though and gave him the choice of fixing it at no cost or replacing the entire trailer. They repaired it and it has been solid ever since. Before anyone asks, he didn't replace it because he had to much time, money and effort into getting like he liked it.

Was the trailer a single or duel axle trailer?
Posted via Mobile Device

djchiodo3
02-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Forget that question. You answered it with your post. I do monthly inspections of axles now when I grease the hubs. Thanks for you input.

jay12
02-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I honestly dont know, but I dont think lark makes their own axles do they? They are probably the same axles used under most of these trailers, it was probably just a fluke thing that couldve happened to any trailer. As far as trailer construction, Ive never had a problem, occassionally the rivets try to back out but thats part of it I guess. Other than that, I think they are a great buy. Good luck with it, post pics when you get it