PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried ValPak or SavvyShopper?

QualityCutsLawncare
01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I have been considering running an ad in the Valpak or Savvyshopper but they require a contract and I am not sure about the effectiveness of this. Has anyone ever done either of these and if so what kind of results did you have?

Tyner Lawn Service
01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Did it years ago with 40,000 households and only broke even. I'm thinking it cost $1,200 for one time mailing. Talked to a guy I know in the carpet cleaning business and ask him if it works and he said maybe breaks even but keeps his name out there in different types of advertising.

sedge
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
I have been considering running an ad in the Valpak or Savvyshopper but they require a contract and I am not sure about the effectiveness of this. Has anyone ever done either of these and if so what kind of results did you have?

Blows. too many other crap ads in along with yours, people just throw them away.

C4chris70
01-29-2011, 10:43 PM
I did Hometown Messeger last year for 3 months. The ad cost $300 per month. I got 1 call in the 3 months, landed the account, then got stiffed for the payment. I found I have better luck with doorhangers because I can target exactly where I want. Handed out about 200 last year and got 3 accounts. Since I have been in that neighborhood, I have landed an additional 9 yards just from word of mouth and people driving by and seeing my truck. Much better investment in my opinion.

knox gsl
01-29-2011, 11:23 PM
I drop them in the trash can near the garage on my way back from the mailbox. There is to much to sort through so I never look at it. On the other hand post card mailers will usually make to the kitchen for review before they get tossed.

phillie
01-30-2011, 01:52 AM
I throw them away too. However I did look through the last one just because I was thinking about implementing it into my marketing plan. I got 1/4 of the way through it before it annoyed me and I through it out. Not worth it in my opinion especially for 1200

gasracer
01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
I looked into it but for $300 a month for 4-6 months and they didn't even cover my own zipcode I didn't think it was worth it.

willretire@40
01-30-2011, 05:08 PM
I look in it some times to see if any other LCO use it. But most of the time Trash without opening.

Few years ago I called Valpak and he tried to tell me that 95% of people open it. LIAR
I just hung up on him and never tried to advertise with them again.

mowerbrad
01-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I look at through those booklets every now and then when we get them. Usually there are so many other ads in there that I don't particularly notice what companies are even advertising in there...it all just blurs together.

Think, if there are 50 ads in one booklet (not too sure how many really), you are 1 out of those 50 ads. And most ads are pretty small and can get looked over easily.

Honestly I don't particularly pay attention to the ads in these things even when I look at them. I really wouldn't bother advertising in any of these things.

shade tree landscaping
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I used a local version of Savvy. As others have said already, if I broke even I was lucky. Not cheap, and in my area is filled with other landscape companies. Wouldn't do it again, and honestly couldn;t recomend it, just my experiance.

khutch
02-01-2011, 09:08 AM
There is a web site in my area similar to Angie's List, but it is completely free to view or post. A client of mine posted a positive review about me on it, and now I get 1-2 calls per month, sometimes more. I haven't advertised in 4 years!
It is to the point now where I assume they are calling because of the web review - it is either that or the trailing sign or a referral.