PDA

View Full Version : Used Brickman lawn mowers

dougdm
01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I was at a local shop today and saw about a half a dozen machines that were just traded in. Brickman's equipment stickers were still on the machines. So this begs the question, are these machines worth picking up for backup machines. I have a few smaller jobs that a 48" ex viking would be considerably faster and nicer than my old 32" metro (but in very good shape). They were dirty, and pretty beat, scratched up. Looking at the hr meters, they were all around 250-350. The dealer had one on sale for $3000. Spoke to the mechanic and he stated that they are only 2yrs old. So mechanically they should be good, but wow are they rough looking.

Any one ever buy one, just interested if it would be worth the time, money and effort to clean it up as a 2nd line machine? :confused:

freshprince94
01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Those machines may have low hours but the guys that work on those crews run the piss out of those machines and don't take care of them, because they didn't have to pay for them. I also imagine that such a large outfit probably doesn't do a lot of maintenance. If you are mechanically inclined I would give it a shot. Otherwise they might be more trouble than they're worth.

dougdm
01-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I could see that they are hard on equipment, wow. I have had my mowers for more than this 2 years and my stuff looks much nicer and very well maintained.

Landscape Poet
01-27-2011, 10:41 PM
I also imagine that such a large outfit probably doesn't do a lot of maintenance.

I would agree with you on the point about the labor being hard as hell on the machines but I bet the maintenance is done in a timely manner. Most of corporate America has processes and procedures in place to ensure their equipment is taken care of. I am just guessing but I have a couple of neighbors that work as reps for drug companies. They get company cars as part of their employment. They are required to take them to the dealer for ALL recommended service procedures or the employee can be disciplined up to and including termination. :eek::eek:

modedicebox
01-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Did you see these at Heavy Duty Turf?

Outdoors_Unlimited
01-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Ive wondered this myself. Im shopping for a 60" TT, and know they run em, and sell em after 2 years. For the right price, Id prolly buy em. But then again, I dont by much brand new. Id rather buy someone elses mistake.

Roger
01-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Two years old, and only 250-350 hours, ... and a large scale commercial operation ....?

The pieces don't fit together.

MOHUSTLER
01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
I had a customer drive to CO to buy one. He did get a good deal on it but it was beat to crap. And has been nothing but a nightmare to work on.

He has just over 500 hours on it and new spindols, many belts, engine rebuild, seal kits in hydros, ext.....

mowerbrad
01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
You have to remember that employees ran these machines, they don't care if they hit something with it or what they run over...its not their machine. Its totally different than buying a used mower that some local LCO ran who maybe had a helper use it every once in a while. I have found that when some employees run equipment (especially at these uber huge companies like Brinkman) the equipment gets beat up fast. Even with decent maintenance (which I do question on the brinkman mowers) these mowers won't last very long being beat up all day. There is a reason they trade-in mowers at 500 hours or less, most guys I know would be trading in when they reach 1500+ hours.

DLAWNS
01-28-2011, 02:35 PM
As a backup machine it could work I guess. I have personally worked at Brickman and most of the employees beat those things to death. You would be surprised though, some of those crew leaders took care of their stuff better than some owners of companies do. And I do know that maintenance is done on the equipment, just not nearly as much as it should be done, at least at the branch I was at. I personally wouldn't buy it, but like I said it could work as a secondary machine if the price is right. It is kinda weird about the hours...that's a bit low.

CircleC
01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
I know a company in town (larger company) that bought a whole semi-load of these mowers. They seem to be working out ok....they are going around town under bidding people by 80k, 60k, and 50k....just to name a few. So....they can work. If you can go out a equip 5 crews for about 15k. Why...not?

dougdm
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes Modice this was at Heavy duty turf, they are asking $3000 for 48" vikings. His offer with out seeing my 32" metro (in great shape) is $750-900. Haven't really made up my mind yet, I have 3 new jobs that would definatly benifit, just a little cautious, and tight with my money. They were bringing in some 60's today, didn't ask pricing.

Outdoors_Unlimited
01-28-2011, 08:42 PM
If you can repair your own machine, why not. I'm sure they get maintenance, and if you get it cheap enough, you could have a nice pile of parts on the shelf, ready to fix whatever breaks.
Posted via Mobile Device