PDA

View Full Version : Re-wiring trailer??

meets1
01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I have a two wheeled ALUMA trailer. Perma Green, aerator, WB over seeder hauler.

Good little trailer for the little in between jobs but it is in need of new lights and along with lights I believe it needs new wire.

I have the trailer in the air and looked around this afternoon. I can't find one wire. There is one wire that leads into the side of the light but then disappears into the tubing. The tubing is solid with no hide away or anything to access the wire.

My thought is to run conduit under the trailer, attach it somehow and run new LED's.

Now I have never wired a trailer. It currently has the 4 plug design. My thoughts end there. Advice would be great!!

I have seen 7 wire, different gauge wire, maybe not nessacry to run in conduit?? Many questions with little no how on wiring a trailer.

Why new wire you ask - well you can see where the wire as rubbed against the metal, going into the lights the bulbs are broken, wire is fraid, its a mess.

CLARK LAWN
01-27-2011, 09:38 PM
get a new harness, you can get them anywhere even walmart, cut the plug off the old harness, seperate the wires. take the new harness and at the far end opposite the plug tape each wire to its corresponding wire. go to the rear of the trailer and SLOWLY and CAREFULLY pull each wire through.

BINKY1902
01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Buy a trailer wiring kit, and pull your new wiring in, by tying it one to your old wiring, and pulling it through the tubing. I change my lights and all when I do it, it's really too cheap not to. You can get a trailer wiring kit with wire and lights for around $25. They have LED kits too for a little more $.

gob71
02-01-2011, 12:56 AM
IF you go to oreillys or Advance auto parts and buy their trailer LED light kit, it will come the full wire harness with the connectors. I replaced the lights on mine last week with some LED's and it came with the wiring kit even though I did not need the wiring. It was around 50 for the LED set. Most likely he regular light kits will also come with the wiring kit.

Knight511
02-01-2011, 04:42 AM
My only tip, the ground wire (the white wire) should be connected to bare metal on the frame. Not shoved in some light or some BS like that.

I have a small trailer that had problems with the lights (really... not working correctly from the day I bought it). I did a search on google for "dim trailer lights' and every result only talked about checking the ground. I checked my ground and found that it was attached to a tiny piece of copper in a side marker that was suppose to ground the trailer through the painted attachment point of the light?!?!? BULL#$%^!!

I drilled a hole in the frame under the trailer, stripped the paint off and attached a grounding lug using a gold plated connector and plenty of dielectric grease stuffed anywhere it would go. Check the lights again and now they all work perfectly and are as bright as my tail lights on the car!

meets1
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
I am looking or looked at 7 wire with led from auto store. There is no way to pull the existing wire thru the frame - one little wire with a connector and that is it. so my thought is to run wire thru conduit?? and therefore protect it some, help it some and maybe be better in the long run.

I now no why this trailer has been issues from day one with lights. Pretty cheaply put together.

Laner
02-14-2011, 12:00 AM
meets1 -I have an Aluma snowmobile trailer that is 12 yrs old. I had a tie down nut break loose from the floor. I sent an email to Aluma and they sent me a set of new replacement tie down nuts as a warranty (no charge). They were very helpful. I'm guessing that you may be able to send an email to them and ask for some help on re-wiring the trailer and they may have a wire-harness or be able to tell you how to route the new wires.