PDA

View Full Version : Any idea on the cost to get this truck body back into shape?

MowingMowingMowing
01-28-2011, 01:07 AM
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/2182092181.html

The good: no mechanical damage, all the mechanical components of the truck have not been harmed, only 40,000 miles on it. All damage is cosmetic.

THE BAD: when I inquired about the title, he said it would be issued as a rebuild b/c of the damage.

The UGLY: apparently the truck came from a "domestic dispute" where a lady beat the hell out of the truck with a shovel repeatedly (this is what the dealer told me). You can see from the pics it is dented all over, she beat the hell out of both sides of the truck. I know for a fact, the fenders and hood will need to be replaced.

The million dollar question... Anyone have a clue on the cost of fixing the body up? Let's figure worst case scenario. Is there a decent likelihood the parts needed could be scrapped from a junk yard? I have very minimal experience with body work, but know that it can add up QUICK... Dealer already said he would work on price (no way in hell I'd pay the $8,000+ asking price he has). When I talked with the dealer on the phone he claimed it would only take a couple thousand...I'm not experienced with this stuff, but that seems EXTREMELY LOW considering what all needs to be done.

I know a guy that does body work, but couldn't get a hold of him tonight and was wondering what some more experienced opinions would be on this? I have a feeling it is going to be much more costly than expected. What do you think?

bdconsoli
01-28-2011, 01:22 AM
You should be able to find the hood and fenders and probably a bed too at a good junkyard. Partstrain.com has aftermarket sheetmetal parts for pretty cheap but they will need paint (don't remember if they are primed or not).

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-28-2011, 01:28 AM
An estimate if you did the work yourself......

Estimate only...

Fenders 190 each for aftermarket.
Hood 300 aftermarket
Bed 1200 used
Base coat clear coat and most all materials (Might as well buy a gallon) 290
misc materials - 200

MowingMowingMowing
01-28-2011, 01:31 AM
You should be able to find the hood and fenders and probably a bed too at a good junkyard. Partstrain.com has aftermarket sheetmetal parts for pretty cheap but they will need paint (don't remember if they are primed or not).

Yeah, luckily I definitely know the guy for the job, and he is actually unemployed at the moment, so I know he needs the work. Ideally, and I have no idea at the moment if this is feasible, is to do everything for around $11K-$12K.

MowingMowingMowing
01-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Regarding the fenders, the dealer mentioned Certafit??? Not sure what that is...

Also, the dealer mentioned something about "skinning" all the doors and "boxing" the sides???

Tinkerer
01-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Try www.car-part.com . Type in your zip code and you can search for parts from yards the closest to you. Look and you should find all the right body parts in the black color you are looking for instead of in other colors that would need to be painted. Find another pickup bed in black. When you do the swap you should be able to get some money for the old damaged bed as some body guy or shop will take it and replace the bad panels and put on another truck. I have removed 8' pickup beds all by myself and I'm only 6' 160 pounds. It was really hard but cheaper than any other option. If you have an engine cherry picker it can be used to hold up one end and you can lift off the other. Usually two guys can lift up a box off of a truck.

Richard Martin
01-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Regarding the fenders, the dealer mentioned Certafit??? Not sure what that is...

Also, the dealer mentioned something about "skinning" all the doors and "boxing" the sides???

Certi-fit is a brand name for body parts.

Skinning a door is exactly what it sounds like. They remove the outside skin of the door and replace it with a new "skin".

I imagine (but don't know for sure) that boxing the sides is a reference to cutting the damaged panels off of the bed and replacing them with patch panels. I've seen these types of repairs rust pretty quickly if not done correctly.

seabee24
01-28-2011, 07:43 AM

The million dollar question... Anyone have a clue on the cost of fixing the body up? Let's figure worst case scenario. Is there a decent likelihood the parts needed could be scrapped from a junk yard? I have very minimal experience with body work, but know that it can add up QUICK... Dealer already said he would work on price (no way in hell I'd pay the $8,000+ asking price he has). When I talked with the dealer on the phone he claimed it would only take a couple thousand...I'm not experienced with this stuff, but that seems EXTREMELY LOW considering what all needs to be done.

I know a guy that does body work, but couldn't get a hold of him tonight and was wondering what some more experienced opinions would be on this? I have a feeling it is going to be much more costly than expected. What do you think?

Well if you know someone, ask him

If it were me, I would go to the junk yard, buy the doors, hood, and what ever else...bolt them on, have it painted....should be around 3 k. Then buy a flat bed. Becarefull If the cab itself is damaged, cab corners alone can run 1500 each it's a lot of labor
Posted via Mobile Device

bohiaa
01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Dont come to a lawn forum to ask how much will it cost to replace parts on a TRUCK.

WE DONT KNO, Go TO a Auto forum,

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I have giving him a general estimate without looking up parts prices. I have body and paint experience. You act like no one on here has ever done anything but cut grass with their life.

Better results on a paint and body forum? I agree. But come on man we can help out a fellow member can't we?
Posted via Mobile Device

Groh's Mows
01-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I would stay far away from that truck. It's not that I have anything against rebuilders (I have rebuilt and driven several cars and trucks with salvage titles). In my thinking, to make rebuilders work you have to buy direct from the insurance company-via a salvage pool or auction or sometimes the insurance sells the salvage back to the owner after settling the claim and you can buy from the owner.

In this case it appears to be a car lot, so you have a middleman trying to make an extra layer of profit. Of course the dealer is telling you it is an easy fix and will only cost $2,000. I am surprised he didn't say most of the damage would probably buff out. Rebuilders can be a good deal and can actually make you a little money, but only if you can accept a vehicle that isn't perfect and that will sell/trade for below book value when its time to move on. I would think $2,000 would almost cover your parts for that and expect to spend closer to 4-5 on total repairs incl. paint. That would be using a secondary shop not a mainstream collision repair facility.

bohiaa
01-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I have giving him a general estimate without looking up parts prices. I have body and paint experience. You act like no one on here has ever done anything but cut grass with their life.

Better results on a paint and body forum? I agree. But come on man we can help out a fellow member can't we?
Posted via Mobile Device

2 funny, if your in the business you should know how prices change.

I''m really surprised this thread hasnt been deleted.

HEy heres an ideal. go ask a parts sales man how much a palm tree cost. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Agape
01-28-2011, 07:16 PM

The good: no mechanical damage, all the mechanical components of the truck have not been harmed, only 40,000 miles on it. All damage is cosmetic.

THE BAD: when I inquired about the title, he said it would be issued as a rebuild b/c of the damage.

The UGLY: apparently the truck came from a "domestic dispute" where a lady beat the hell out of the truck with a shovel repeatedly (this is what the dealer told me). You can see from the pics it is dented all over, she beat the hell out of both sides of the truck. I know for a fact, the fenders and hood will need to be replaced.

titles are "reconstructed" when the repairs cost more than the value of the rig.
You can get a better truck without damage if you paid cash.
when you go to a dealer, walk in backwards and bent over.

Agape
01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
.".. Dealer already said he would work on price"

Boy are you gullible!

BadRancher
01-28-2011, 07:30 PM
By the looks of it a needs a new everything. The box is bad, the doors may be salvagable. Even if they dropped the price substantially low, IMHO it would still cost more than its worth to fix. A salvaged title does nothing but bring the value down on the vehicle. If you have a good friend that does body work you may get the hook up. There are way too many dents to push out and Bondo. The box itself will be high.

Me personally, I would get him to drop the price in half and drive it like it is. What does the right side look like?

BINKY1902
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
The only way it will be worth it is if you do the work yourself. I would probably put a flatbed on that one, then you only have to worry about the cab. You can get china-made fenders, doors, and hood very cheap. I've flipped several vehicles in worse shape than that. The only thing I can't do is paint, so I take my fenders, doors, etc. to a body shop and have them spray them, then assemble myself. I had one pickup that was quoted at a body shop at $6,000 for repair, I repaired it for $2,000, including all new parts and the painter spraying them for me. Body parts are fairly cheap, it's the $75-$100 an hour the body shop charges that gets you.

BINKY1902
01-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I didn't even see the price the dealer is asking until now...damn! I bet he got it from the insurance company for $5,000.

jiggz
01-28-2011, 09:58 PM
300 for hood
100 for fender
500 for bed at the most

thats what i would guess from a junk yard

personally i would just fill the door

you can get some cheep base clear and spray that whole side for under 150 prolly

jiggz
01-28-2011, 09:59 PM
just get real big magnet lettering lol

Mowing Freak
01-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Putting on a flat bed is a good idea. I would take it to a body shop just for an estimate. Then look at the price for comparable trucks that need no repair and see what the difference is. I agree with others, the price of the truck seems a little high.

Tinkerer
01-29-2011, 12:50 AM
If it could be bought for $4000 a person could even part it out and make some money on it.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-29-2011, 01:56 AM
2 funny, if your in the business you should know how prices change.

I''m really surprised this thread hasnt been deleted.

HEy heres an ideal. go ask a parts sales man how much a palm tree cost. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Your a ******. And a little *****. I think its funny how you start **** around here all the time. What's the problem with getting advise from some one with experience in a the subject?

There is nothing wrong with asking a parts man how much a palm tree costs if he has over 3 years in the landscape industry. Get your thumb out of your ass and learn how to help someone. Unlike you not everyone is so narrowminded and has no experience what so ever in any other job field but landscaping.

You know other people have done other things with their life than just this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
01-29-2011, 02:32 AM
Your a ******. And a little *****. I think its funny how you start **** around here all the time. What's the problem with getting advise from some one with experience in a the subject?

There is nothing wrong with asking a parts man how much a palm tree costs if he has over 3 years in the landscape industry. Get your thumb out of your ass and learn how to help someone. Unlike you not everyone is so narrowminded and has no experience what so ever in any other job field but landscaping.

You know other people have done other things with their life than just this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thread will certainly get shut down now.

Chop Stuff Up
01-29-2011, 07:21 AM
http://www.lmctruck.com/ gives you a good breakdown of parts prices. I've done a pair of bed sides on a Chevy before, it wasn't too fun, even with a good set of air tools.

Chop Stuff Up
01-29-2011, 07:32 AM
used bed for $1,400 in same area: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/2140148589.html

cutbetterthanyou
01-29-2011, 09:02 PM
The only way it will be worth it is if you do the work yourself. I would probably put a flatbed on that one, then you only have to worry about the cab. You can get china-made fenders, doors, and hood very cheap. I've flipped several vehicles in worse shape than that. The only thing I can't do is paint, so I take my fenders, doors, etc. to a body shop and have them spray them, then assemble myself. I had one pickup that was quoted at a body shop at $6,000 for repair, I repaired it for $2,000, including all new parts and the painter spraying them for me. Body parts are fairly cheap, it's the $75-$100 an hour the body shop charges that gets you.

Not being a smart a$$, but i would like to know what body shop charges 75-100 a hr. My dad owned a body shop and the insurance companany dictate the rate which are somewhere around 40-42 a hr. If you go to a custom/hot rod shop there like 50-60. I even saw a episode on tv where Chip Foose said his rate was 60 something. Do do agree with you that he should do aftermaket parts and a flat bed.

Richard Martin
01-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Not being a smart a$$, but i would like to know what body shop charges 75-100 a hr. My dad owned a body shop and the insurance companany dictate the rate which are somewhere around 40-42 a hr. If you go to a custom/hot rod shop there like 50-60. I even saw a episode on tv where Chip Foose said his rate was 60 something. Do do agree with you that he should do aftermaket parts and a flat bed.

Most body shops charge $75 an hour plus! I also find it extremely unlikely that you will get the services of Chip Foose for $60 an hour.

cutbetterthanyou
01-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Most body shops charge $75 an hour plus! I also find it extremely unlikely that you will get the services of Chip Foose for $60 an hour.

I'm just stateing what i saw on tv maybe he was lying i don't know. I Do know, for a fact, (because i live next door to the shop and my dad owed it) that on colision work they get paid 40-42 a hr from insurance compananys depending on which one. They are always b!tchin because half of the frame work they do should fall under mechanic work and they charge like 80 for that. Maybe it is different area to area. My father and i have had this dusscusion a few times. I could have took over his shop, if i wanted to, I just didn't see how he made money at those rates. I guess low overhead.