PDA

View Full Version : Question for Exmark Vantage users

BrunoT
01-28-2011, 01:49 AM
1. The video from Exmark mentions "optional anti-scalp wheels". Are these actually available and has anyone tried them? How are they attached?

2. Does the deck appear to have any sort of spring loading to lighten the effective weight of the deck? If it's got an engine on it I assume it's so heavy anti-scalps might just gouge the turf.

3. Anyone in the South cutting Bermuda or Zoysia lawns with the 48/52" models? I like to have the added protection of antiscalps like on the Turf Tracer HP/Lazers. I've only seen one lawn cut with a Grandstand, and wasn't impressed at all. It was a doozy of a lawn, erosion ruts on a steep hill, but the mower didn't handle it well, or maybe it was the operator.

4. How are the front weights attached? Bolted on? Is this optional or standard equipment?

Thanks.

Exmark PR
02-04-2011, 05:41 PM
1. The video from Exmark mentions "optional anti-scalp wheels". Are these actually available and has anyone tried them? How are they attached?

2. Does the deck appear to have any sort of spring loading to lighten the effective weight of the deck? If it's got an engine on it I assume it's so heavy anti-scalps might just gouge the turf.

3. Anyone in the South cutting Bermuda or Zoysia lawns with the 48/52" models? I like to have the added protection of antiscalps like on the Turf Tracer HP/Lazers. I've only seen one lawn cut with a Grandstand, and wasn't impressed at all. It was a doozy of a lawn, erosion ruts on a steep hill, but the mower didn't handle it well, or maybe it was the operator.

4. How are the front weights attached? Bolted on? Is this optional or standard equipment?

Thanks.

Thanks for watching our Vantage video; hopefully, I can answer some of your questions, below. If you still have questions, please feel free to call our customer service number at 1-800-667-5267 and our technicians will be able to help you further.

We have anti-scalp rollers on units with product numbers 116-4608 and also now available for the VT48/52.

The deck is supported by two mechanical springs, one positioned on either side of the control tower. The springs are adjustable to allow for increased counterbalance if desired. Operators should be careful thought not to counterbalance too much, as the deck may get “bouncy”.

While we did not see the operator on the GrandStand you are referencing, the performance of these types of machines can be significantly affected by the operator’s interaction with it. Specifically, operators who use their body to change the center of gravity of the product can draw even higher levels of machine performance from the product.

The weights are optional. Many customers start by thinking the machine feels light on the front end and then come to really like the way it performs (especially when side-hilling). The weights attached with “U” bolts on the front frame rails.

pugs
02-04-2011, 06:54 PM
The weights are optional. Many customers start by thinking the machine feels light on the front end and then come to really like the way it performs (especially when side-hilling). The weights attached with “U” bolts on the front frame rails.

Out of curiosity are the weights the same for the Exmark as they are for the Grandstand? Had a customer complaining of wheelies with his Vantage and I told him the Granstands have a weight kit but could not get an answer as to if they were the same or not so I sent him back to his Exmark dealer.

cvcook
02-04-2011, 07:38 PM
You'd have to be pretty heavy to make it wheelie, I weigh 220 and when I demoed one the only time it would wheelie is when I tried to make it. on flat ground because there's no hills here so might be different then

delphied
02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
You'd have to be pretty heavy to make it wheelie, I weigh 220 and when I demoed one the only time it would wheelie is when I tried to make it. on flat ground because there's no hills here so might be different then

I weigh 220 as well and have a Grandstand. All these problems people dream up on here have never been a problem for me. I just dont get it.

BrunoT
02-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info. If one could counterbalance the deck to make it reasonably light and add some antiscalps it might really work for me. I don't need it for all-out fast mowing, but I do need it to contour well. I'll have to go see my dealer to check them out.

cvcook
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
I weigh 220 as well and have a Grandstand. All these problems people dream up on here have never been a problem for me. I just dont get it.

I agree :hammerhead:

BrunoT
02-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I can't say if the things need weights or not. And I'm sure sometimes people overreact to handling issues on mowers.

But what I can do is pull up a google topographical map of midland tx and flint michigan vs where I live and where some of the other posters live. I notice your areas are depicted on the map in one color, with no significant terrain features/contours. Relatively flat. Zooming down to street level to look around it's like they came in and graded it to be a huge flat football field for miles around in Texas. Short of a football field you can't find that here. Meanwhile, where I live the topo map looks like there isn't a flat mm of space on the map in comparison. It's one big set of wrinkles on the map.

So maybe that might have those who live in hilly areas a tad more concerned about the front getting light on hills than someone whose idea of a bad slope is a drainage ditch or man-made 10' high berm. And the nice folks at Toro/Exmark may have thought about that and made a weight kit available. I'd hardly call that dreaming up problems.

delphied
02-05-2011, 07:36 AM
I can't say if the things need weights or not. And I'm sure sometimes people overreact to handling issues on mowers.

But what I can do is pull up a google topographical map of midland tx and flint michigan vs where I live and where some of the other posters live. I notice your areas are depicted on the map in one color, with no significant terrain features/contours. Relatively flat. Zooming down to street level to look around it's like they came in and graded it to be a huge flat football field for miles around in Texas. Short of a football field you can't find that here. Meanwhile, where I live the topo map looks like there isn't a flat mm of space on the map in comparison. It's one big set of wrinkles on the map.

So maybe that might have those who live in hilly areas a tad more concerned about the front getting light on hills than someone whose idea of a bad slope is a drainage ditch or man-made 10' high berm. And the nice folks at Toro/Exmark may have thought about that and made a weight kit available. I'd hardly call that dreaming up problems.

And what is the difference between a manmade slope and a natural one?
Hey if you want weights, buy weights. If you dont think a stand on works on hills, dont buy a stand on. Who really cares? The Exmark poster pretty much said you can buy weights and extra antiscalp rollers if you want them but you prolly wont need them. I say the same. The only scalping issues for me are on some sort of manmade grade change, not any natural contours.Scalping is really not an issue for me. Weights are not needed for me on any of the manmade berms that I use the machine on and the slopes are more than I want to use my Lazer Z on. Thats one of the reasons for having a Stand on unit, for slopes and hills. If you wanted people with these machines to post that they agree with your theory about scalping and wheelies, why didnt you say so? I wouldnt have wasted my time.

fobaum
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Exmark PR: I have a ? Is the 34'' PHAZER still going to be made, I heard it was being discontinued , please tell me other wise....

BrunoT
02-06-2011, 01:19 AM
And what is the difference between a manmade slope and a natural one?
Hey if you want weights, buy weights. If you dont think a stand on works on hills, dont buy a stand on. Who really cares? The Exmark poster pretty much said you can buy weights and extra antiscalp rollers if you want them but you prolly wont need them. I say the same. The only scalping issues for me are on some sort of manmade grade change, not any natural contours.Scalping is really not an issue for me. Weights are not needed for me on any of the manmade berms that I use the machine on and the slopes are more than I want to use my Lazer Z on. Thats one of the reasons for having a Stand on unit, for slopes and hills. If you wanted people with these machines to post that they agree with your theory about scalping and wheelies, why didnt you say so? I wouldnt have wasted my time.

To answer your questions/comments:

A man made slope is one made by piling dirt up, not the process of tectonic plate movement over eons of time. Who doesn't understand that? Examples include things such as a noise abatement berm, a pad built up in a low-lying area to prevent flooding where they truck in soil and leave rather steep slopes bordering a home (common in s. florida), etc. ...(as opposed to oh, say a FREAKING MOUNTAIN!)

I didn't say it works or doesn't work. Asking someone who knows and uses one on hills is a good idea. You don't, so why would anyone want your opinion on how it handles hills? You live in a great plain.

Who cares? Anyone with any sense who operates in a hilly environment would care. You think maybe if Toro sells weights for it they've identified that sometimes the front end might rise up?

The grass here isn't scrubby stuff. It's mowed at 1.5" or lower and if the deck rises even 1/4" it shows in the grass and looks bad. That's also why antiscalps come in handy when the ground isn't tabletop smooth. If a deck corner dips a fraction of an inch it leaves a mark in the turf and looks bad. That might happen in a place like...like in, oh...I don't know...THE MOUNTAINS!

Quit reading in all sorts of things that are not there and start reading what is actually there in my posts. I don't have any vested interest. I don't have any theory. I don't own one. You didn't design or build it, so why do you seem so defensive and hyper-emotionally invested? I simply asked those who had experience in certain specific areas to comment.
I have read numerous comments from users that it doesn't have good traction in walk mode and thought that might be because of the front weights. GET IT?
Your belittling of those who have valid performance concerns about it rising up when going up steep hills simply displays that you are not very aware that there is a world out there quite different than the one you inhabit and probably have never spent much time away from. Ever been out of your county?

lukespapa
02-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Exmark PR: I have a ? Is the 34'' PHAZER still going to be made, I heard it was being discontinued , please tell me other wise....

I asked the same question, and Exmark PR answered for me here...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3877650&postcount=21

This is why I bought the Gravely Compact Pro 34

delphied
02-06-2011, 08:42 AM
To answer your questions/comments:

A man made slope is one made by piling dirt up, not the process of tectonic plate movement over eons of time. Who doesn't understand that? Examples include things such as a noise abatement berm, a pad built up in a low-lying area to prevent flooding where they truck in soil and leave rather steep slopes bordering a home (common in s. florida), etc. ...(as opposed to oh, say a FREAKING MOUNTAIN!)

I didn't say it works or doesn't work. Asking someone who knows and uses one on hills is a good idea. You don't, so why would anyone want your opinion on how it handles hills? You live in a great plain.

Who cares? Anyone with any sense who operates in a hilly environment would care. You think maybe if Toro sells weights for it they've identified that sometimes the front end might rise up?

The grass here isn't scrubby stuff. It's mowed at 1.5" or lower and if the deck rises even 1/4" it shows in the grass and looks bad. That's also why antiscalps come in handy when the ground isn't tabletop smooth. If a deck corner dips a fraction of an inch it leaves a mark in the turf and looks bad. That might happen in a place like...like in, oh...I don't know...THE MOUNTAINS!

Quit reading in all sorts of things that are not there and start reading what is actually there in my posts. I don't have any vested interest. I don't have any theory. I don't own one. You didn't design or build it, so why do you seem so defensive and hyper-emotionally invested? I simply asked those who had experience in certain specific areas to comment.
I have read numerous comments from users that it doesn't have good traction in walk mode and thought that might be because of the front weights. GET IT?
Your belittling of those who have valid performance concerns about it rising up when going up steep hills simply displays that you are not very aware that there is a world out there quite different than the one you inhabit and probably have never spent much time away from. Ever been out of your county?

You are so right. I know nothing. My area is flat as a pancake. Even the man made berms are flat here so there are absolutely no hills or irregularities in the earths contours here. Get the weights and rollers, you will need them. And no, I havent been out of my own county yet. I figure I need to see everything there is to see here before I leave. Thanx for setting me straight.

Exmark PR
02-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Thank you for the inquiry. Unfortunately, we are no longer producing the Phazer product line. While these units are no longer available, we have many additional products that should meet your needs. Visit www.exmark.com (http://www.exmark.com) for our current line-up. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or call our customer service number at 1-800-667-5296.

Exmark PR
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Out of curiosity are the weights the same for the Exmark as they are for the Grandstand? Had a customer complaining of wheelies with his Vantage and I told him the Granstands have a weight kit but could not get an answer as to if they were the same or not so I sent him back to his Exmark dealer.

The weights are not the same for the two products. You will need to work with your Exmark dealer to get the proper weights for your machine. If you have any other questions, please call our customer service number at 1-800-667-5296.