PDA

View Full Version : 9hp or 13.5hp Renovater

Thunderbolt
01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
I am going to purchase a Lawn Solutions Renovater in afew weeks,just wondering what your guys opinion would be on which one to purchase. I have a mix of small and large lawns. Also wondering which one would work best in the wet spring soil.:usflag:

Barefoot James
01-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Get the 20 inch with a 13.5 very powerful and will fit all jobs. 2nd choice would be the 24 inch with a 13.5 but you may run into some gates that it will not fit through the 30 inch is great as a second unit.

If your avg size yard is 5K to 7K or under and you have lots of 32 inch gates go with the 20 inch. JMO.

I have a 20 inch now for the past 5 years and love it.

fl-landscapes
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I have the big boy, and love it. Makes quick work of large areas but as mentioned gates can be an issues. We have had it on two wheels to go sideways through a gate or two but its a pain. Tight areas can be trouble and sometimes we hand rake the seed in tight spots we cant get too, but I love the machine and you will love whichever one you get. If I had the 20" to compliment the 30" that would be ideal

Thunderbolt
01-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Get the 20 inch with a 13.5 very powerful and will fit all jobs. 2nd choice would be the 24 inch with a 13.5 but you may run into some gates that it will not fit through the 30 inch is great as a second unit.

If your avg size yard is 5K to 7K or under and you have lots of 32 inch gates go with the 20 inch. JMO.

I have a 20 inch now for the past 5 years and love it.

Can you get the 13.5 on the 20"?

Barefoot James
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Yep you can! They can put anything on it - even bigger if you request it! They are the power seeder pros. They can even put straight pipes on it if you ask - course it would sound like a dragster:laugh:

Thunderbolt
01-28-2011, 05:17 PM
13.5 on a 20" and strait pipes I LIKE it.:drinkup::cool2::)

Snowy66
01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Definately the 13.5!!! I upgraded my 7 HP to the 9 HP and am really disappointed. It's ok but unless you are doing a really smooth lawn, you will have to restart it pretty often.

Thunderbolt
01-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Definately the 13.5!!! I upgraded my 7 HP to the 9 HP and am really disappointed. It's ok but unless you are doing a really smooth lawn, you will have to restart it pretty often.

Looks like the 13.5 is the way to go thanks everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barefoot James
01-29-2011, 12:00 PM

If you are clogging down and digging deep and it is shutting off your tines are too deep:nono: - this is what harley rakes are for. the TR is great for doing small areas of finish grading - back and forth to smooth it out but large areas are best suited for harley rakes. for seeding purposes the tines on have to scratch the surface. Now if you are talking 'clumpy fescue lawns' meaning clumps of fescue exsist and then patches of bare dirt down deep - so you feel you need to set the tines down deep to get the tines to scratch the surface on the dirt - this is the wrong approach too! Because you have the correct depth for the bare dirt but the clumps you just cut them thru too deep. Basically you need better site prep on these properties. The best solution here is to aerate deep 2 to three passes and THEN powerseed. the plugs will help to stabilize the ground and fill in the low patches of dirt and then the powerseeder will slice up everything and make the ground much smoother without having to dig to deep into clumps of fescue - so you can set the tine depth to the clumps and not the ground cause the cores will be on the top of the patches and you just have to slice them up.

Now slopes are another matter. The TR has a auto shut off on the motor that shuts down the engine on slopes when the engine is in the same posiition for too long like 15 secs because there are no oil pumps to throw th oil up and keep the engine from burning out. So if you were to say have long stretches on a side hill without this feature you could potentially burn up an engine - if you were to say pull that wire so it would not cut off the engine. Now that said you really have to understand these machine and how they work to get the maximum value from one - just like any piece of quality equipment. Call LS and they can give you tips and help you out. They are great folks!

Hopefully these pointers will help you out. I have done over 500 properties now with a TR and seen it all - especially those rental folks who I drive past and then three hours later dirve past and they are still on their 4th pass. I ALWAYS stop to say high and tell them oh - by the way your tines are too deep. let me show you a 'magic' trick and do a couple passes for them, tell them they should hire me next time and I'm on my way!

Snowy66
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the tips James. I am doing Fescue lawns. I set the height on the concrete so I would know exactly where the tines were at. I set them so they are just touching the concrete. The yards I did were not really that bad. Not a pool table but not extremely rough either.
I did a double to triple aeration on them using my pull behind. So you bring up a good point that maybe I should set the height to just grind up the plugs instead of worrying about scratching the surface.
I was still not too pleased with the power. I read all these posts about using the 9HP units to level yards while pulling a sulky.
Guess I will use it to only grind plugs until I can get the bigger engine.

Barefoot James
01-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Lone Oak,

I have made over 200K in the past 5 years power seeding - exclusive with the LS 9 hp 20 inch. I have replaced enginges - Kohler to a Robin (Suburu) and in neither engine did i ever have a problem with power?? It sounds like you have done a couple jobs and don't really have the 'hang' of what you have yet - I say this because you are setting tines based on concrete?? I don't even know what that means. If you set it on concrete for the tines to just come down enough to touch the concrete that would not be near far down enough:confused: You have to set it based on hitting the soil and making sure you are cutting slices in the actual soil (you can actually measure the depth of these slices). Trust me the 9 is plenty powerful and can and does get the job done. A 13.5 would be even more so. I don't really have much problem with a properly calibrated 6 hp but they are a little slow and don't do what I need and granted they are a 'little' underpowered but even they will get the job done - so I'm haveing a hard time really understanding where you are coming from. Maybe you have something wrong with your tines??

JoJo1990
01-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm happy with my 9HP as well. However, for the larger jobs or really compacted/clay soils, I would like the 13.5.

Snowy66
01-30-2011, 11:44 AM
With the engine off, I lower the tines down till they just touch the concrete. I'm using the concrete as a flat level surface just to check the cutting depth. This makes the tines just scratch the ground as I'm moving. I tried to set them at a quarter to half inch depth and it stalled the engine and bogged it down alot. When I get to uneven ground where the tines are digging in deeper, that is where my problem really begins. If I'm not quick enough with the forward lever, the engine stalls.
For the most part, I cruise pretty good. I just think 4 more HP is the way to go. This would eliminate any stalls. If I'd have known I could have gotten the 13 upgrade instead of the 9 I would have done that.
Thanks for the help James. If I'm still missing something let me know. This is why I read these threads...to learn from experienced guys like you.

Snowy66
01-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, and BTW, I made over $1500 last year in my first year of power seeding! LOL!!!

Barefoot James
01-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Some guys are making 200K a year seeding.:weightlifter:

NattyLawn
01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
If you're stalling, either the blades are too low, or you're getting too much thatch. I have the 9HP and don't have any issues. Usually with the first pass you get the feel for the general height for the lawn, and go from there. I usually seed after the lawn is scalped.

Snowy66
01-30-2011, 09:25 PM
My blades are basically flush with the ground. The lawns I did were cut very short and bagged. Didn't seem to be much thatch even after the first verticut pass. We just have different expectations of the performance. As long as the machine is only cutting 1/4 to 1/2" it does fine. Going over the rougher areas when it has to 'dig' it kills the engine. Guess my lawns are a little more bumpy than yours. If I could do it over again-I'd order the 13.5 HP upgrade.

LawnSolutionsCP
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM
The 9hp is a heck of a seeder which anyone can use......the 24" and 30" machine are much more commercial and have a lot more than just a bigger engine. Everything is bigger on the now 14hp models...yes they are 14 HP starting this spring.

They are also pretty quick and really designed for commercial use....they pull a sulky really nice as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

topdog
02-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Can we get some pics and info on the new seeder? There isn't anything on your web site about it. I am looking to add a second seeder this season.
I currently run the 9Hp LS Seeder and a LS Walkbehind Aerator.

Thanks

Thunderbolt
02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Some info would be nice on the new seeders. :)

LawnSolutionsCP
02-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Some info would be nice on the new seeders. :)

We are having our website redone and they should be on their shortly....I will also be posting a new spec sheet here later today or tomorrow that shows all 3 models with specs.

David

Thunderbolt
02-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks David.:)

Thunderbolt
02-16-2011, 06:33 PM
We are having our website redone and they should be on their shortly....I will also be posting a new spec sheet here later today or tomorrow that shows all 3 models with specs.

David

I thought we were going to get some specs. I would like to place a order soon.:)

LawnSolutionsCP
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Here is the new seeder spec sheet.

The larger units show the 13.5HP but they shipping with the newer 14HP Eng.

Thunderbolt
02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone. I ordered the 24" with the 14hp today.:):)

Snowy66
02-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Excellent choice! Like Barefoot said, you will make some money with that machine.

Thunderbolt
03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Just picked up my Renovater today. What a great machine. No problem going through wet soil with the 14hp Subaru.:):):):drinkup: