PDA

View Full Version : Video on Winter Turf

Landscape Poet
01-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Just thought I would share this. It covers a lot of topic that homeowners tend to ask. It is funny that in this presentation she mentioned not putting down a N fertilizer and making sure homeowners are aware of that. I was with Rob from here on lawnsite when I received a phone call from a customer after our first freeze. He was all up in arms because his SA lawn was brown. He wanted to know if he should put fertilizer down. Typical.

So information in this video presentation may include several talking points that you guys may want to include in your newsletters.

http://icsde.ifas.ufl.edu/Accordent/Extension/MasterGardenerUrbanTurf/#

South Florida Lawns
01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
I received a phone call from a customer after our first freeze. He was all up in arms because his SA lawn was brown. He wanted to know if he should put fertilizer down. Typical

They think its completely dead :laugh:. A few of the wealthy customers had even asked me for a quote on all new sod. I was like seriously,you do know its gonna come back in a few months.

Ric
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
They think its completely dead :laugh:. A few of the wealthy customers had even asked me for a quote on all new sod. I was like seriously,you do know its gonna come back in a few months.

South

I am not a fan of Turf Paint, But here might be a nice extra that nets you as much profit as doing all the labor and expense of sod replacement. A Tractor supply 12V 15 or 25 gallon Fimco sprayer is perfectly legal with only your Sarasota business license.

abrightday
01-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey all you need is a round-up backpack sprayer to spray that turf paint. The round-up backpack sprayer has paddles inside for agitation,,take your time, presto change o new looking lawn!! We used to spray the grass at Disney all the time,,yup no special licensing needed.
YourLandscapePro.com

South Florida Lawns
02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
South

I am not a fan of Turf Paint, But here might be a nice extra that nets you as much profit as doing all the labor and expense of sod replacement. A Tractor supply 12V 15 or 25 gallon Fimco sprayer is perfectly legal with only your Sarasota business license.

Now thats a great idea there! I remember a company called lawn dr. and they do lawns in GA. I'm doing the research on it now, thanks.

Landscape Poet
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Now thats a great idea there! I remember a company called lawn dr. and they do lawns in GA. I'm doing the research on it now, thanks.

I have access to the paint but have never applied it. Ric or Abrightday, last year I went to a account for a topdressing after a PCO had spray the lawn 48 hours prior, the mixture had a paint in it. The home owner had white dogs and you can imagine the rest. I am assuming this was applied to thick. The home owner was also not notified. Not a good combo. Do either of you have experience with this type of product? What is typical for the drying time? Is it hard to get a consistent color on the whole lawn out of a backpack? Also what would be the cost advantage of this if you are doing it for color only vs say rye seed?

South Florida Lawns
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I have access to the paint but have never applied it. Ric or Abrightday, last year I went to a account for a topdressing after a PCO had spray the lawn 48 hours prior, the mixture had a paint in it. The home owner had white dogs and you can imagine the rest. I am assuming this was applied to thick. The home owner was also not notified. Not a good combo. Do either of you have experience with this type of product? What is typical for the drying time? Is it hard to get a consistent color on the whole lawn out of a backpack? Also what would be the cost advantage of this if you are doing it for color only vs say rye seed?

I did a quick search and it seems kinda pricy. Almost $200 for the 5gal bucket which is what I would be after.

abrightday
02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
It is pricey, it takes a couple of hours to dry, a backpack can do the job fine as I described in above post. It can last all winter, untill it gets mowed off.

Ric
02-03-2011, 10:32 PM

South

I have never painted Lawns but Have seen some done very nice. However more that looked artificial. I am just thinking With Sarasota having the second highest income per capita in Florida, You may be able to grab some of that money.