PDA

View Full Version : How are you guys carrying power pruners??

Greg78
01-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I started a thread in the pictures section but didn't get any responses. So I'll put one here.

We started carrying our power pruners in our trimmer racks this week. They seem to be doing okay, they don't appear to bounce around any more than the trimmers. I was worried that their might be too much length hanging past the rack??

Looks to be about 4' past the rack on my dad's trailer, and 3' past the rack on mine.

Anybody care to post how they carry theirs?

ReddensLawnCare
01-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Looks good to me...as long as its not bouncing all over the place it should be good...thats a nice lookin saw...new toy?

jiggz
01-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I use my hands

jiggz
01-28-2011, 10:22 PM
put the pruner on the lowest rack .. sounds stupid, but you might wack your face on that

Greg78
01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
put the pruner on the lowest rack .. sounds stupid, but you might wack your face on that

Blower is in the way of using lowest rack.

Greg78
01-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Looks good to me...as long as its not bouncing all over the place it should be good...thats a nice lookin saw...new toy?

Thanks. The telescopic saw we've had for a while. The PAS we just got this week.

ReddensLawnCare
01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Do you like the telescoping? I have the stihl hedge trimmer with the kombi system and im going to get the extention but i heard it is a PITA to work with..what do you think?

Greg78
01-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Do you like the telescoping? I have the stihl hedge trimmer with the kombi system and im going to get the extention but i heard it is a PITA to work with..what do you think?

I like the telescopic, really easy to slide out to reach what you need. I don't use it very often as it is on my dad's trailer.

I am going to get an extension or two for the PAS that I use.

txgrassguy
01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
I have no pictures of my primary enclosed trailer but:
the trailer is lined with 20 gauge steel,
on the right, or passenger side, I mounted four racks for the hand trimmers;
two across the front for blowers, and;
on the left side I mounted a rack expressly for the power pruner.
Everything is out of side and protected from the weather, everything has a specific spot, and is secured quite well.
Once I cut the steel plates to fit it took me maybe four hours to fabricate the remaining mounts.

gasracer
01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
My question is where are your weed eaters?

Greg78
01-31-2011, 11:51 AM

There is a line trimmer on the middle rack of each trailer :confused:

Marcos
01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
I like the telescopic, really easy to slide out to reach what you need. I don't use it very often as it is on my dad's trailer.

I am going to get an extension or two for the PAS that I use.

A 2 cycle stick chainsaw? Geez! What a boat anchor! I'll bet that leaves consistant clean cuts perfectly placed just above the collar, eh? ...:cry:...NOT!

Greg, with all due respect, for your customers' sake, please prune the way heavier pruning's supposed to be done: NOT from a 6' distance!
Get decent ladders & get your face relatively near to what you're pruning, or if it's a larger tree get a climber, so you don't asthetically mangle & potentially damage the future health of what plant material you're being paid to manage.

Greg78
01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
A 2 cycle stick chainsaw? Geez! What a boat anchor! I'll bet that leaves consistant clean cuts perfectly placed just above the collar, eh? ...:cry:...NOT!

Greg, with all due respect, for your customers' sake, please prune the way heavier pruning's supposed to be done: NOT from a 6' distance!
Get decent ladders & get your face relatively near to what you're pruning, or if it's a larger tree get a climber, so you don't asthetically mangle & potentially damage the future health of what plant material you're being paid to manage.

I agree with what you are saying however, we only use it on palms and it leaves a very nice cut. As far as pruning large trees we leave that to the experts. We do take care of our customers small citrus trees but they can be done from the ground with the appropriate tool.

Jason Rose
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
I was going to say that I'm sure they are trimming palms as well, but Greg beat me to it.

I also don't see anything at all wrong with using a pole saw for pruning trees. You just don't make ONE cut. Make the cut to take the limb down 6 to 12 inches from the trunk, under cut a little if necessary to prevent bark tear. Then carefully do your final cut where it needs to be. Most of the tree guys around here use them too. Much safer to work from the ground whenever possible.

Where people get into trouble with pole saws is making cuts that are too far to reach and just having to comprimise and cut where you can. I know I'm guilty of that on my own trees, but they are elms, ughhh. If I had a real pole saw (echo) it would be easier. Just can justify the $600 for one.

Now, as for how you are hauling the saw in the rack, I agree in the lowest position would be the best... I like to keep the heaviest machine in the lowest position so that it doesn't cause the rack to sway as much. I'd opt for moving the blower over a little off center to allow the pole saws to be placed low. Just my opinion though... those trailers you have don't give anything a very smooth ride. Every little bump makes those things bounce like crazy because they are so light.

Landrus2
01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I need those dogs to watch my trimmers :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Greg78
01-31-2011, 03:23 PM
I need those dogs to watch my trimmers :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

They do a great job :usflag::usflag:

txgrassguy
02-01-2011, 08:38 AM

Is this directed towards me?

I have four dedicated racks I built in my enclosed trailer on the passenger side of the trailer only for three string trimmers and one stick edger.

Once I post a picture it is much easier to visualize but there is no way I am working outside until maybe Thursday late morning with the front that just came through.

Yesterday it was nudging 75*F and beautiful - now it's 30*F with 30-40mph wind gusts and rain. Uglier than my ex-wife's butt.

ReddensLawnCare
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
txgrassguy...did i understand you right...did you say your enclosed is lined with 20 gauge steel...thats 3/8 of an inch think..and HEAVY...maybe only part of it is lined? Please explain..and if this is the case...how heavy is your trailer?????

Jason Rose
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
txgrassguy...did i understand you right...did you say your enclosed is lined with 20 gauge steel...thats 3/8 of an inch think..and HEAVY...maybe only part of it is lined? Please explain..and if this is the case...how heavy is your trailer?????

For reference, 16 gauge is 1/16". 20 guage steel is 0.0359" That's 3/80 , Weighs 1.5 lbs per square foot.

ReddensLawnCare
02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
You are completely right..I googled it and did not see the .0...thanks and that makes alot more sense. I knew in gauges..typically the smaller the gauge the larger it is..but when i saw that I had to check..thanks again*trucewhiteflag*

Jason Rose
02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey I'm not really that smart either, I googled it as well. haha. I'd be screwed if I actually had to KNOW much of this stuff!

ReddensLawnCare
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
A wise man once said...why would i memorize anything that is readily available to me through google

4 seasons lawn&land
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
what the hell is on that trimmer in the middle? the big thing.

Greg78
02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
what the hell is on that trimmer in the middle? the big thing.

It's an edgit. http://edgit.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=57

ReddensLawnCare
02-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Does it work good? My biggest concern would be ditches and trying to get in there. How long have you been using it?

txgrassguy
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM

The trailer started out as a 14' tandem axle enclosed cargo unit lined with cedar. Bought it off the side of the road for no more than $1500 over seven years ago and the unit was maybe four months old - had never been titled.

After the 3/4" flooring gave out I lifted the planks and welded extra bracing and stringers - then I was a real dumbass and let a neighbor use it to move "furniture" and he broke the whole tongue and A frame to up under the front of the trailer. My best friend is an ex- oil field pipe fitter/welder and he replaced the frame with 1/4" boxed channel steel from the front axle hangers to a new bull dog 2 5/16" coupler. Trailer is absolutely neutral at 80mph - tows incredible, much better when "new". Cost me $200 for the steel and rods plus three cases of Lone Star beer.

Original weight started out at 1,800 lbs. Now I am guessing around 2,100 with all of the improvements.

Easily holds two 60" ztrs plus two back back blowers, hand tools, four hand trimmers and a gas pole saw.

Once this crappy weather blows over I'll post a pic of the racks/interior.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
lets hear more on the edgit thing.

ReddensLawnCare
02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I just found this thread..pretty helpful... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=339265&highlight=edgit&page=4

4 seasons lawn&land
02-01-2011, 08:35 PM
pretty cool. Im gonna' try one of those.

Greg78
02-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Does it work good? My biggest concern would be ditches and trying to get in there. How long have you been using it?

Works great. Ditches are no problem. Been using it for close to a year. I have only used my edger 3 or 4 times since I got the edgit.