PDA

View Full Version : edgit for echo trimmers

brianslawncare
01-29-2011, 10:45 AM
does anyone know if this works? it says you can edge a sidewalk as fast as you can walk? im looking to buy a edger come spring,any was wondering if this is worth it? im looking to edge sidewalks and mulch beds. thanks:dancing:

Pistol
01-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I bought an Edge-it for my Stihl and LOVE it. Where you can really fly is along curbs, sidewalks and drives - just hook it over the edge and go. I have had at least a dozen lawn guys stop and ask about it - because they see me using it and they see the results.

brianslawncare
01-29-2011, 12:40 PM
how does it work? do you still use the trimmer line? once it is on the trimmer can you still use it as a trimmer? or is it just for edging? thanks

fatboynormmie
01-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Have edigits on 2 of my 3 echo trimmers .They work really well and help give you lazer sharp lines.My wife and I really like how they also protect you from alot of the flying debris.The only down side is they don't allow you to get into tight corners due to the disc gets in the way.This is not a major problem in my opinion .The ease of use while edging makes up for its short comings.When you first put it on the trimmer it feels awkward for a while .Give it time, you will figure out shortly how beneficial they are and how productive you can become.I feel they make edging kind of idiot proof .

LawnEnforcement25
01-29-2011, 12:56 PM
looks like a bit of a hassle to me. why not just get a stick edger and be done with it? i know time is money but it takes me an average of 4 minutes to edge a driveway and sidewalk. thats if it is just being maintained and not redefined. an edger is less likely to stray off and gouge the grass ruining your straight line bordering the pavement and its quicker. i just dont see the reason for cutting corners and using a trimmer to attempt these jobs.

fatboynormmie
01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
how does it work? do you still use the trimmer line? once it is on the trimmer can you still use it as a trimmer? or is it just for edging? thanks

You install it on the trimmer and it stays there.You can use the trimmer with the edgit installed for everything trimming and edging.Should have clarified from my last post while (trimming) with unit sometimes tight corners are unable to be trimmed due to disc.I usually reach down an snag the little spot it won't get with my fingers.Not a big deal really.While edging I rest the disc on the ground and only really have to hold the weight of the trimmer with one hand.This saves my your back .I also use it for tight area grass cutting .These are areas my big mower can't get into.You spool the motor on the trimmer up and it creates alot of suction pulling the grass upward like a mower does and then you just wack the grass down.The edgit helps you keep the trimmer level with the ground easier as well.

grassman177
01-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Have edigits on 2 of my 3 echo trimmers .They work really well and help give you lazer sharp lines.My wife and I really like how they also protect you from alot of the flying debris.The only down side is they don't allow you to get into tight corners due to the disc gets in the way.This is not a major problem in my opinion .The ease of use while edging makes up for its short comings.When you first put it on the trimmer it feels awkward for a while .Give it time, you will figure out shortly how beneficial they are and how productive you can become.I feel they make edging kind of idiot proof .

yup, just sold you one so now you have three!!

you got my pm right?

fatboynormmie
01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
looks like a bit of a hassle to me. why not just get a stick edger and be done with it? i know time is money but it takes me an average of 4 minutes to edge a driveway and sidewalk. thats if it is just being maintained and not redefined. an edger is less likely to stray off and gouge the grass ruining your straight line bordering the pavement and its quicker. i just dont see the reason for cutting corners and using a trimmer to attempt these jobs.

I have an echo edger hanging on the trailer wall.I hasn't been off the trailer since we got the edgits.It's just easier having one tool do two different jobs and do them well. To each his own.You drop the disc beside the concrete and ride the edge of the concrete .Don't have to worry about having a steady hand just use the concrete like a rail.The disc rolls along the ground all awhile supporting some of the weight of the trimmer.Started out with one edgit for my trimmer and made the mistake of letting my wife use it once .That trimmer became HER trimmer so I had to buy myself another one.

ALC-GregH
01-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I love my Edgit. Any imperfections in the second pic are due to the fact that it was the first time I used it. Now I'm like a artist and his brush with that baby. :D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/Dscn2747.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/Dscn2753.jpg

fatboynormmie
01-29-2011, 01:44 PM
yup, just sold you one so now you have three!!

you got my pm right?

Hey grassman I did get your pm and the zip was right thanks .I am keeping that edgit as a backup.Just in case one of mine ever breaks.I can edge well with a trimmer with or without the edgit.I just find its easier with less concentration on keeping a straight line which I feel translates into more speed on my part.

lawnangel1
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
How does it work edging beds??? I would THINK that edging beds is where the edgit really shines.

brianslawncare
01-29-2011, 03:18 PM
that looks like is does work. how does it work in the cracks of the sidewalks?

fatboynormmie
01-29-2011, 03:55 PM
How does it work edging beds??? I would THINK that edging beds is where the edgit really shines.

It's not meant for true bededging but does help keep debris out of the beds while trimming.It cuts the grass and weeds out of cracks just like any trimmer would.The trimmer line will stick out past the disc .The disc's only real job is to act as a guide it does no cutting .

BrunoT
01-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Love it, feel much much more productive with it. Less fatigue. Yes, you can trim with it with no real problems other than it will form a vaccum and suck the trimmer to the ground somehow if you get it too close. Not an issue once you're used to it however.

Like any tool, it takes a little use to get comfortable with it.

brianslawncare
01-29-2011, 04:42 PM
thank you guys

grassman177
01-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Hey grassman I did get your pm and the zip was right thanks .I am keeping that edgit as a backup.Just in case one of mine ever breaks.I can edge well with a trimmer with or without the edgit.I just find its easier with less concentration on keeping a straight line which I feel translates into more speed on my part.

i think when coming to edges, that is totally true. but we have way too much that it did not work for, and no one liked it. i think of it as a great way to have an edger without buying one, but not as a trimmer too

JDUtah
01-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Use it for both trimming and edging here. Love it! Like mentioned it takes a lot les concentration. Plus it is more forgiving for the person who can't keep steady (not that I had that problem). Should take a new guy only a day to get used to using it. Trim, edge, and cut small areas easily. The corner thing isn't a big problem at all. Sometimes I just let more line out which will reach the corner. The only thing it isn't good at is training a wild edge. But once you use an edger and train the line back it is great for maintaining it. In fact, I have had several homeowners who's lawns I don't maintain come and ask me about it. It generate interest.

Turf Dawg
01-29-2011, 05:44 PM
I bought an Edge-it for my Stihl and LOVE it. Where you can really fly is along curbs, sidewalks and drives - just hook it over the edge and go. I have had at least a dozen lawn guys stop and ask about it - because they see me using it and they see the results.

Does it fit well on the Stihl? I sold my Echos and one had a Edgit on there and I loved it for certain things. I generally always use a stick edger to edge with but when I had the Edgit I used it when it was a little too muddy for my stick edger.

brianslawncare
01-29-2011, 08:34 PM
turf dawg they do sell one for stihl. i saw one on ebay for 69.00. i dont know what the price is elsewhere.

Green Machine Mowing
01-29-2011, 09:58 PM

How do you like regularly trimming with your edge it? What keeps the string from getting too long?

B&M
01-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Do they still have a website? I can't seem to find it with a google search.

fatboynormmie
01-30-2011, 12:41 AM
How do you like regularly trimming with your edge it? What keeps the string from getting too long?

I use it for every lawn and really like it.Every once in a while the line gets to long and the engine will lug and will not reach full rpm .Then I usually run the engine as fast as it will spin and hit the line on some concrete or fencing to either break it off or wear it down .You will know when the line shortens back up because the rpms will go back to full speed. I generally only spool the engine up to maybe 3/4 speed while regular edging.My 2 main trimmers are both echo's set up with edgit's and Shindawa speedfeed 450 bump heads .That setup works great for me. If anyone wants to use a speedfeed head with there edgit you will need a washer to space the head for proper clearance to the disc .

ALC-GregH
01-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Do they still have a website? I can't seem to find it with a google search.

sometimes it's just easier to type in the name edgit and add the .com to it. :laugh:
Give it a shot..... :usflag:

brianslawncare
01-30-2011, 11:54 AM
i found on ebay under echo trimmers or stihl trimmers.

khutch
01-30-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm a big fan of Edgit - I am in a major city, somehow, I've never seen ANYONE else use one...????
But hey, that works to MY advantage!!
Big, big time saver, with excellent results - Sold the stick edger LONG ago....

StihlBR600
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Do it right or dont do it at all. The only way is with real edger.

fatboynormmie
01-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Your right:hammerhead:

Green Machine Mowing
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Whats wrong with an edgit? The part where you have one less piece of equipment to purchase,maintain ect? Or is it the really efficient part where you can use the tool thats already in your hands running instead of having to go get another one out, started and warmed up then having to retrace parts of the yard you previously walked over doing nothing with a piece of equipment that is perfectly capable of doing what this second piece is getting taken out for?

bobcat48
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
They are great,i have one for my echo trimmer and i love it,its a great product for a good price.and results with it are nice it does a very great job.

grassman177
01-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Whats wrong with an edgit? The part where you have one less piece of equipment to purchase,maintain ect? Or is it the really efficient part where you can use the tool thats already in your hands running instead of having to go get another one out, started and warmed up then having to retrace parts of the yard you previously walked over doing nothing with a piece of equipment that is perfectly capable of doing what this second piece is getting taken out for?

straight up:weightlifter:

although i just sold mine to normie. it was not for us, but a very nice product.

weve
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
For those of you that use the Edgit on an Echo trimmer, does anyone use one on one of the Echo high torque trimmers? The high torque Echo gearbox uses a different Edgit than the standard Echo gearbox. I am thinking of purchasing one or the other.

Which one works best in your opinion?

fatboynormmie
01-30-2011, 09:03 PM
For those of you that use the Edgit on an Echo trimmer, does anyone use one on one of the Echo high torque trimmers? The high torque Echo gearbox uses a different Edgit than the standard Echo gearbox. I am thinking of purchasing one or the other.

Thats interesting I have used the reg echo edgit's on my units and there both 265t gearboxes maybe that why I had to put a washer under the bump head.I did just check and they do offer a diff unit for the high torq heads.Good question and good lookin out.

seabee24
01-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I have seen them but if you guys can't do the same thing in the same time, with out the edge it, I think you need to spend more time on the trimmer and less on the mower. I learned to do nice edges quickly in maybe 3-4 months at a full walking speed. 7 years later I could do it forward backward, one hand, right handed left handed
Posted via Mobile Device

khutch
02-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Have you ever used one??

Doesn't this kind of sound like "Do it right or dont do it at all. The only way is with a Bad Boy (or insert your mower here)".

I wasn't sure until I did, and have found they work great. It can do just about everything a stick can, and some things that a stick can't, and usually quicker. Plus you save the expense of a stick. If you have tried it, and are truly honest that you have tried it, then the post and your opinion is meaningful.

ReddensLawnCare
02-01-2011, 07:37 PM
to the guy that asked what the website is... http://www.edgit.com/ maybe the internet just isnt your thing...or..u just had a brain fart..happens to me all the time

BrunoT
02-13-2011, 12:52 PM

I have used edgits on both types of echos, high torque and "regular". Funny, I have the same model edgits on both types of echos. The gear housing on the high torque model is fatter, but the edgit fits fine on it. I can't recall now if I had to modify anything to get it to fit, but I'm pretty sure I did not.

I like the high torque model, by the way. Probably less string welding due to not having to rev it up quite as much to get the job done maybe. I use far less than one spool of trimmer line a day, by the way. The edgit helps in that regard as well. With experience you "feel" the line more than see it and the edgit allows you to feel that groove and just go.

As for the edgit naysayers...I'd say I had edging down pat before edgits came along, as I'd been using edgers and trimmers for about 12 years by then. I prefer the edgit. It's faster, neater, and easier on one's back. I keep an old stick edger around for the few times a year I actually need one. I even did comparisons just to make sure. I simply can't see any difference in the look and it takes longer with the stick edger once you factor in the time to switch tools and retrace your steps over the lawn.

Maybe they just bought a $500 edger and are feeling the need to justify the purchase. When I get my first complaint I'll consider switching back. It's been 8 years now, so I'm not holding my breath on that.

Clark Griswold
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
I love my Edgit. Any imperfections in the second pic are due to the fact that it was the first time I used it. Now I'm like a artist and his brush with that baby. :D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/Dscn2747.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/Dscn2753.jpg

I'm liking the red Explorer, nice combo!

We have a '99 white AWD & love it!

ALC-GregH
02-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm liking the red Explorer, nice combo!

We have a '99 white AWD & love it!

Why thank you.

Here's another pic of it. It's about the best one I have.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/Dscn2729.jpg

brianslawncare
02-13-2011, 03:21 PM
i had a 02 explorer and we loved it. it got totaled in the spring we got t-boned luckly my wife and son were just shaken up! we used it for everyday use and it worked great to haul the boat fishing with my two kids. alc can you tell me what you do with the clipping u pick up? and thanks for the pics of the edgit.

JayD
02-13-2011, 05:31 PM
does anyone know if this works? it says you can edge a sidewalk as fast as you can walk? im looking to buy a edger come spring,any was wondering if this is worth it? im looking to edge sidewalks and mulch beds. thanks:dancing:

True! I have two and love them....

ALC-GregH
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Brian, I can dump on site at most properties. I normally don't bag any in the middle of summer but I had a few that wanted it bagged for a party they were having. I just dump in the woods.

JayD
02-13-2011, 08:18 PM

To answer this question about WHY, you can still use it as a trimmer as you go around fence line, poles, trees or anything you use a trimmer on. This way you can do it all with one trimmer(with edgit).

LiveGreenLawn
02-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Does the edge it only work for echo trimmers. Or can it be mounted on other brands?
Posted via Mobile Device

WOW
02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Does the edge it only work for echo trimmers. Or can it be mounted on other brands?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you look on their website it tells you.

ALC-GregH
02-14-2011, 06:26 PM
If you look on their website it tells you.

Look on their site? They have one of those? I would have NEVER thought of that. Gee thanks.... :)

organiclawncanada
02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
It looks like a very interesting attachement. I was considering an edger but for the cost, I can put one on one of my spare trimmers to try it out. If I like it I will buy one for all my trimmers. :canadaflag:

JayD
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
It looks like a very interesting attachement. I was considering an edger but for the cost, I can put one on one of my spare trimmers to try it out. If I like it I will buy one for all my trimmers. :canadaflag:

You can see my pix of mine in a tread on here called something about signs on open trailer gates. Should still be on page 1 or 2

fatboynormmie
02-17-2011, 12:40 AM

Don't waste your money on an edger try the edgit.The only job my edger is used for now is bededging with a trenchblade.

Fox Landscape Services
02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
How heavy is the blade?

ALC-GregH
02-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Don't waste your money on an edger try the edgit.The only job my edger is used for now is bededging with a trenchblade.
I made a bed redefiner out of my stick edger. I've since added the OEM cover and made a small hard plastic shield on the back side to take the place of the small rubber flap it comes with. It will throw some dirt and the hard plastic piece helps a ton from allowing the dirt to fly back.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC00970.jpg

ReddensLawnCare
02-17-2011, 12:30 PM
What size edger is that which you converted? Its an Echo I would assume, right?

ALC-GregH
02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
It's an attachment I put together for a PAS265. A little under powered but it does the job.

fatboynormmie
02-17-2011, 02:50 PM
I made a bed redefiner out of my stick edger. I've since added the OEM cover and made a small hard plastic shield on the back side to take the place of the small rubber flap it comes with. It will throw some dirt and the hard plastic piece helps a ton from allowing the dirt to fly back.

SAAWEET SETUP THERE!How much did that blade cost you ?

bare spot
06-22-2011, 02:13 AM

that looks good. if ya don't mind me asking, what is that hard plastic in place of the mud flap, from a hardware store? thinking of modifying mine or cutting it in someway so when edging receded walks it won't be such a pain but can still useful and serve its purpose.

docshank
06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Have been using the edgits on my shindaiwa trimmers since 1999 or 2000. If you give it a chance for you to get used to it, most likely you'll never use a trimmer without an edgit again. When I buy a new trimmer, a new edgit gets purchased also.

docshank

bare spot
06-22-2011, 10:46 PM
that looks good. if ya don't mind me asking, what is that hard plastic in place of the mud flap, from a hardware store? thinking of modifying mine or cutting it in someway so when edging receded walks it won't be such a pain but can still useful and serve its purpose.

nevermind on that. looking at their edgers online, looks like echo doesn't come with the flap, thought it did.

ALC-GregH
06-22-2011, 11:28 PM
nevermind on that. looking at their edgers online, looks like echo doesn't come with the flap, thought it did.

actually the curb edger comes with the small rubber flap. I made one to replace it for the bed edger out of a mud flap off a truck.

bare spot
06-23-2011, 12:37 AM
actually the curb edger comes with the small rubber flap. I made one to replace it for the bed edger out of a mud flap off a truck.

sorry take this post off but been using a stihl edger, finally had enough of the mud flap being an issue on some edging jobs (gets in the way on uneven jobs, receded walks etc.). so there's a medal strip i could remove or after seeing your pic's, i could cut a slit in the middle of the flap, being the flap is a solid piece across. either way ii think will help, gonna try the removing the strip first, if that doesn't work. will go with the slit.