PDA

View Full Version : Seeding new lawns

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
09-05-2002, 09:24 PM
:confused:I'M New to the business and was wondering the best way to seed a new lawn? Its only about a 1/2 acre i was thinking on areating very well and then using a slice seeder? will this work? Thanks :dizzy:

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
09-09-2002, 01:01 PM
come on guys i no some one has some ideas???

TurfGuyTX
09-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Are you re-seeding or seeding from scratch? If from scratch, I'd just broadcast the seed over a prepared seed bed. What kind of grass?

GarPA
09-09-2002, 02:20 PM
I too half aout a half acre to install new...I rarely do new lawn installs and I'm concerned about preparing the soil properly ...meaning how fine I should rake it, did the excavator leave me enough topsoil, use straw or the paper mulch product???? I do alot of renovations and have good results...but a lawn from scratch kind of scares me....my wife always watches the Home and Garden channel and often gives me some great tips....one she mentioned is that I should really till up the **** dirt with the good soil before fine raking...any tips are much appreciated...thanks much...ps...I've had real good results with Lescos Park and Athletic and their starter fert... their paper mulch is nice but a little expensive and you need ALLOT of it...

lawnmowerman29
09-09-2002, 11:40 PM
I do alot of new seeding and the best way i have used is as follows.
1.Till the area about 1-2" deep
2. level with a spike harrow
3. broadcast seed and fert
4. roll with an old land roller with nub discs
5. roll with a smooth roller
6. straw or seed-aid

That process gives me a great result. I use this on big yards 1/2 to 2 acre lots. If doing small lots you can seed at 1/2 the rate, harrow again or rake and seed at the other 1/2.

lawnmowerman29
09-09-2002, 11:42 PM
Right now a tiller works good on loose soil. But i want to find a piece of equipment that i can pull behind my tractor and does just about the same as my 48" tiller. Havent found one yet. Hard soil is really hard on me, the tractor and the tiller tines.