PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Perks

Green Machine Mowing
01-29-2011, 02:23 PM
What have you guys come across in terms of perks from your dealers that really want to make you stay there, for instance getting your mower waxed free, free ice, loaner equipment, demos ect

Jason Rose
01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Loaner equipment is a biggie, as well as their ability to get a demo unit in the model I'm actually looking to buy. Many times they CAN get any model in for a demo from the factory but they just don't want too and will try to get you to take a 60" if you are looking to try a 48". That sucks!

A COMPETENT dealer with staff that actually knows about the mowers they sell. Actually keeping parts in stock. Being able to get my mower in and out same day or next day for warranty repairs.

I couldn't give a crap less about them washing or waxing my mower or sharpening my blades for me either... If I'm waiting on it to be fixed so I can get it back to work I don't want them holding it longer to do those things.

It's not a deal maker or breaker but ones that have a "customer appreciation" day in the late winter before the season starts is really nice. Feeding their good customers lunch and offering a discount on blades and normal wear parts so people can stock up and save a little. It's a nice gesture from the dealer and gets you in to spend money. It's a win for both sides. Many dealers won't do it though...

ed2hess
01-29-2011, 08:06 PM
You are thinking about this in the wrong way. What do you as perks to keep your dealer happy? Like 6 pack for the repair team at end of day. Christmas bonus for everybody in the shop. Please waxing mowers:hammerhead:

Greg78
01-29-2011, 08:18 PM
You are thinking about this in the wrong way. What do you as perks to keep your dealer happy? Like 6 pack for the repair team at end of day. Christmas bonus for everybody in the shop. Please waxing mowers:hammerhead:

You got that right. Our dealer takes great care of us and has since we first started using them. They bend over backwards to help us in any way they can. Every once in a while my dad will take them in a case of beer, you'd think we just gave them a million dollars.

The guy at the parts desk went on about how everybody always talks about getting them a beer or this and that and we were one of the few who have ever done it. It goes a long way.

Clark Griswold
01-29-2011, 09:43 PM
My Scag dealer didn't do anything for me except keep it forever for any service, so I sold it!

oldclawn
01-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Our dealer is a really cool guy with tons of experience at what we are doing for a living. He is well known in the community and truly cares about us as business people. He has personally given us referrals worth tons of $$ in project and recurring work. We refer all kinds of people to him. I have helped him with his accounting and inventory for several years and my crews often include a pick up or delivery for him during his busy season. A mutually beneficial relationship---a concept that seems to be lost!!

mowerbrad
01-30-2011, 12:08 AM
My dealer has been great to me, I've only been going there for about 2 years but have zero intentions of ever switching. The dealership I go to is a pretty large dealership, they have 10 stores around west-michigan. The particular store that I go to deals mostly in lawn and landscape equipment, so they really know the industry.

Repairs are made very quickly. I've had a only one repair needed, but I was in and out in about 20 minutes.

I'm one of the smaller commercial customers that they have but I'm treated no different than the "big guys". The salesman I deal with is awesome and has helped me with many different problems that I've come accross.

My dealer is able to get a variety of equipment, I can go to them for pretty much any and all equipment I need.

I talk with other dealers who want me to demo their equipment but I just can't switch dealers. Some other dealers I've talked to are very nice, knowledgable but there is just something about my particular dealer that makes them different and makes me never want to switch.

Richard Martin
01-30-2011, 05:40 AM
The guy at the parts desk went on about how everybody always talks about getting them a beer or this and that and we were one of the few who have ever done it. It goes a long way.

There are no selfless acts. What that means is nothing is given and not expecting something in return. If you gave them a case of beer and they didn't kiss your butt then you would probably stop giving them the cases of beer. You're buying these perks, they're not giving them to you.

a clear difference lawn
01-30-2011, 07:49 AM
My dealer is small - family owned. I get along with them really well. They treat me great even though I am a lot smaller business than many of their customers. I try to take care of the guys in the shop with home made cobbler and pies once in a while that my sister bakes - as she lives less than two miles from the dealer. I think I am going to stop by on monday and tell the mechanics to wax my mower just to see how long it takes for the laughter and cursing to stop!

SNAPPER MAN
01-30-2011, 11:07 AM
The way to get your dealer to treat you good is to buy a lot from them and not ***** about every price they give you.
Posted via Mobile Device

cutbetterthanyou
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Next closest exmark,hustler,or scag dealer is about a hour and a half away.Thats about the only reason i stick with them.

Greg78
01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
There are no selfless acts. What that means is nothing is given and not expecting something in return. If you gave them a case of beer and they didn't kiss your butt then you would probably stop giving them the cases of beer. You're buying these perks, they're not giving them to you.

We were getting great service before my Dad gave them the beer. It was just our way of saying we appreciate how we are treated. I have been in every dealer in our county and in most we get treated like second class citizens.

Roger
01-30-2011, 03:34 PM
The idea of perks stems from the reward system that has been taught in our society the past couple of decades. We used to do things for people because it was the right thing to do. Then we started bribing kids to do things, e.g. money for doing homework. candy for doing something right, even paying students $0.25 per day for every day they showed up at school.

These perks discussions are an outgrowth of this kind of thinking. People have become so trained now that unless they get something extra, they are hard pressed to do the minimum for service, products, or whatever. On the reverse side, we have been swayed to think that unless we get a tip, unless we get some atta-boy, some pat on the back, we don't need to do the job right, or exceed what is expected.

I read a story in the newspaper this week about transportation of students to elementary and middle school. Once per month, students are encouraged to ride their bicycle to school, and not ride the bus. Yes, one time per month is all! But, the kicker is that if the student did ride their bicycle, they were given a prize, gift certificates, or some other form of reward. Rather than riding their bicycle every day for the sake of relieving the bus or to get exercise, the children are rewarded.

Same is true of all this perk stuff. A sad commentary on how people have changed their thinking.

As for the beer, what a stupid idea. What every community needs, more drivers on the road who have had a few beers before leaving work. NOT.

Greg78
01-30-2011, 05:56 PM
As for the beer, what a stupid idea. What every community needs, more drivers on the road who have had a few beers before leaving work. NOT.

You know what they say about assumptions. The mechanics took the beer home and drank it home. I know the owner of the shops don't allow drinking at the shop. I asked the owner about the beer and he said it was fine to bring in, he said to just not bring it through the front, to bring it in the back and put in their fridge in the garage area. The mechanics and parts clerk could divide it up how they wanted.

Green Machine Mowing
01-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, What I am really looking for is what sets a good dealer apart to you, I must not have made that clear and Im sorry for that. Other then customer service, what have you seen dealers do that really sets them apart, and what they do to you that makes you feel very special and comfortable at their place.

Jason Rose
01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
I did cover that in my post, #2 :)

Roger
01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
You know what they say about assumptions. ....

Still a stupid idea. Yes, you know what they say about assumptions, ... that that includes an assumption about the personal habits of the employees, and their attitudes about drinking alcohol.

Jason Rose
01-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Still a stupid idea. Yes, you know what they say about assumptions, ... that that includes an assumption about the personal habits of the employees, and their attitudes about drinking alcohol.

I suppose this is true. So your nice gesture of taking beer to everyone is great for those who drink, but what about the one or two guys that don't? maybe they are recovering alcoholics or maybe they just don't drink for other reasons... That makes the "gift" only good for some. However this would be true with ANYTHING you do. Take in a plate of cookies, not everyone is going to like that kind, maybe someone is a diabetic? Take in gift certificates to a restruant, maybe not everyone likes the food there? You could go on all day trying to think of something that will please everyone... I'm sure the OP asked prior to taking it in "hey what kind of beer do you guys drink" or somethign to that effect. If it's free I'm not pickey about brand either, haha

Also goes both ways, just because YOU think something is "wrong" with drinking alcohol doesn't mean everyone else shares those feelings.

Roger
01-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Jason, thank you for making my point about the whole idea of perks, ... bad idea.

BTW, I an not opposed to drinking alcohol, so the comment doesn't apply to me, but may apply to others.

Green Machine Mowing
01-31-2011, 07:48 PM
I saw that, Thanks Jason, other guys were looking at this differently then what I was looking for, so I clarified

MOHUSTLER
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
As a dealer the "perks" we offer to commercial guys rather they have bought 1 or 10 mowers from us they allways come first. Imediate service when they break, allways have a loaner avaliable. 10% discount on parts for commercial customers,

Most important thing I focus on is that every commercial guy gets treated like he is our only customer. And we bend over backwards to keep them going.

We also do snow plow business and offer 24/hr service to them and 24/hr parts as well.

Calling for 12-18" of snow tonight :laugh: GOING TO BE A LONG NIGHT!!!!

Lefet
02-01-2011, 09:50 AM
As a dealer the "perks" we offer to commercial guys rather they have bought 1 or 10 mowers from us they allways come first. Imediate service when they break, allways have a loaner avaliable. 10% discount on parts for commercial customers,

Most important thing I focus on is that every commercial guy gets treated like he is our only customer. And we bend over backwards to keep them going.

We also do snow plow business and offer 24/hr service to them and 24/hr parts as well.

Calling for 12-18" of snow tonight :laugh: GOING TO BE A LONG NIGHT!!!!

Now THAT would be a dealer I would like to have in my area.

Green Machine Mowing
02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I was thinking of doing something similar for the plowing stuff, do you have a mechanic in there all night to sell/install parts?

lawnangel1
02-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I always thought it would be nice for a dealer to have a 24 hour service shop, even for lawn equipment. You could drop a mower off at like 6 or 7 at night after the dealer is closed and you could pick it up fixed early the next morning (as long as the parts were in stock)

MOHUSTLER
02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I have my parts guy stay and I work on them and if I need my mechanics I call them in.

I dont think id ever do it for mowers. Its not an "emergency" situation like snow business is. We do stay late on alot of summer nights but never 24 hours.