PDA

View Full Version : dump bed inserts - those that have used or own

adforester
01-29-2011, 02:24 PM
I've been considering a dump bed insert

I have 1 truck, its an f350 4x4 06 single rear wheel. I use this as my personal truck as well as business.
I put everything in the back of it from mulch, logs, wood, dirt, leaves, rocks, etc. etc.
I didn't want to get a dump truck because of taxes, gas mileage, i would have needed another car for personal etc.

So I am wondering for those who have used dump bed inserts or own them how they work in the single rear wheel trucks? I'm considering a dumperdogg as I found a good price on them.

Here's the thing, I want to be able to carry a pallet of stone in the back, I know the payload is 4,000 pounds and if I have an insert that weighs 800 pounds it brings the payload down to 3,200 and a pallet of stone weighs 3,000 pounds so that leaves me with 200 pounds left payload, that's how much I weigh lol
How much do they affect gas mileage, ride quality, and payload for stone and mulch? Any other info you think I should know would be good.
I just wanna make sure I consider my options cause these things are expensive!!!
I would consider a dump trailer but I already have a trailer for my mower and parking space is VERY Limited where I am at.
I hate having to get up there and fork out limbs, etc. am I just getting lazy lol? I'm 25 but have been doing this for years and am really trying to keep my back supple, sit down mower and hopefully now a dump insert beer belly here I come:drinkup::weightlifter:

adforester
01-29-2011, 05:28 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/571632_lg.jpg

they also have poly ones, same weight $300 more bones

seabee24
01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Bad, I would never do it again. With sides and rear doors, mine was around 1100 lbs. Here is the issue. Anythig less than 2000 total load is really no big deal with a heavy duty truck. Anything over and you start to really "use" the truck......so that means if you install it, you can only put 1000 lbs in it before the truck starts to feel it. 10000 isn't much. That 3200 lbs of stone, comes in at 4,000 and let me tell you your truck will feel that difference big time. One too many straws that break the camels back. If you need a dump truck, then sell your pick up
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
01-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Love it. I have a Bri-Mar in my 2500. A single rear wheel pickup with a dump is unbeatable maneuverability. I put 2 yards of top soil in mine if I dont need the dump trailer and for mulch I throw the 12" wooden sides on to get 3 1/2 yards. Id do a pallet of stone, a standard one but they can often pile on way more than 3k on those pallets.

adforester
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Ya i went on the scale and one pallet weighed just over 3,368 pounds! I guess if your getting pallets in a srw mine as well get it delivered!
I'm glad to hear you can put 2 yards of top soil w/ insert

seas bea - I know what you mean about the 2,000 pounds, anything less and I pretty much don't feel it either in my f350, so i suppose with a insert i would feel it

adforester
01-29-2011, 06:49 PM
http://www.downeastermfg.com/flatbed.html

Downeaster makes a flatbed kit that is made for a SRW
specs:
DEK8584 8.5FT SINGLE 102" 84" 56"

the pic of the truck farthest down (looks like a black f350) has srw with the kit, looks nice, wonder about the weight and who in the world
stocks those things? it was hard enough finding a dumperdogg that was cheap and local

rauder01
01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
I have 3 dumps in 3 of our 3/4 ton trucks,one has been in 14 yrs and abused we can haul 5yds of mulch without any problems been doing it for yrs just need to take it easy and know how to drive with a loaded truck
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
01-29-2011, 10:26 PM
how high are your sides? 5 yards of mulch would probably bottom my 2500 right out

freshcut419
01-29-2011, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=4 seasons lawn&land;3874797]how high are your sides? 5 yards of mulch would probably bottom my 2500 right out[/QUOone of my trucks is an 08 dodge 1500 4x4 . I have sides built on the bed that go as high as the cab. I can put 5 yards of mulch in it. But there is no dump insert in it. I dont pull a trailer at the same time either.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
01-29-2011, 11:12 PM
5 yards of mulch would probably bottom my 2500 right out

I think you would be fine with a 2500. Ive put 3 yards in a 1500 before. It was only about an inch away from the bump stops.

adforester
01-30-2011, 02:10 PM
I ran an entire season hauling 3 yards of mulch in my 05 chevy 1500 2wd 8ft. bed - it would sit low and be on the helper pad

3 yards of mulch around here in the back of my chevy 1500 I had 2wd weighs about 1800 pounds - I went to the scale at the stone yard and had 'em weigh me, it was not soaking wet mulch, but was damp

I met a guy who I stopped at the local pizza shop who had the same truck as me 06 f350 8 ft bed and he had a dumper dogg on the back and he said he would put sides up and put 5 yards of mulch in it!! that's a bunch of weight

EverestLandscape
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a BRI-MAR insert, like it a lot. I'ts in a F-250 and what helped a lot were I installed SuperSprings and Timberins. The supersprings actually lifted the rear of the truck 1" from stock with the insert in it...they work great. I mainly do mulch and then leaves out of it but when the top soil and stone need to be done, thats when the timberins help a lot as well.

CJCuttingEdge
02-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I just bought my truck craft insert last year and i LOVE IT! Its a steel box with the aluminum frame which makes a huge difference when it comes to weight.... I Built the sides for the insert myself using pressure treated wood from Lowes, once I had the sides installed "2hrs later" i thought it would look really nice with a professionally made sign on each side so I had two signs made up with company name and phone etc... In my opinion i like having my name on the signs which i can remove vs having my name stuck on my truck which ruins paint. I remove the sides & sign during the winter so i can see when plowing plus never liked my number on my truck when plowing seems you always get a crazy neighbor calling you

CJCuttingEdge
02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
**ALSO the truck craft dump is a telescoping dump from the front not a scissor lift!

ELS LLC
02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Those inserts are great for light use. If you are seriously hauling a ton of materials day in and day out I would go with a flatbed dump. We sold ours (ez dumps) and put flatbeds with dumps . They can haul way more , the ez dumpers take up so much room. They were around 800 pounds and with racks (expanded metal) were about a thousand. Our biggest gripe was the volume of space you lose with the dumps on. The good thing about those dump inserts was that they sold in one day. A buddy has a dump kit on his pickup box and I would not recom. those they are really light weight. Good for the home owner for dump runs but we would break them quickly with hard use. Bottom line is a flatbed dump is the way to ride.

hackitdown
02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a 6' Downeaster steel insert in an '04 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0L. I added wood sides, but I max out at 3 yards of mulch due to size. The most stone or dirt I will put in there is 1.5 tons.

It is a very good mulch installation machine. Two 10 cu/ft plastic double-wheeled wheelbarrows fit perfectly under it, and we just dump a little at a time directly into the wheelbarrows. We can move the mulch into the beds (in rough piles) in about 20 minutes, then I go off to get more while the helper rakes it into place. I just don't see getting that type of productivity out of a dump trailer.

I ordered the headboard and a tarp roller. I think it was about $2900 after tax and installation.

No registration or insurance like a trailer. No storage problems. No problem parking or backing up. And it is always there for those unexpected little jobs that require debris to be hauled off.

ALC-GregH
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd want to put a dump kit on the truck bed it self. Gives you more weight capacity. Instead of adding all that weight to the bed with a dump insert, why not just dump the bed with a kit?

Barrett Landscaping
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
stuff gets trapped behind the wheel wells and the bed itself is not made to withstand dumping of heavy materials

ALC-GregH
02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I disagree. If you're too lazy to get out and stab the stuff with a shovel then by all means go waste the carry capacity of the truck and stick a dump insert in it.

Barrett Landscaping
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM
or just get an aluminum one that does it for you......stabbing is easy when some of it comes out. what if none comes out and it all is stuck in there? with a dump it is totally smooth.

djagusch
02-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I got a used truckcraft alum last fall. Only 400lbs, worked great for leaves last yr and firewood so far. Can't see not owning one as long as I'm in biz.

Also the downfall of normal one ton dumps is they are drw and the turning radius suffers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jpocket
02-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Those inserts are great for light use. If you are seriously hauling a ton of materials day in and day out I would go with a flatbed dump. We sold ours (ez dumps) and put flatbeds with dumps . They can haul way more , the ez dumpers take up so much room. They were around 800 pounds and with racks (expanded metal) were about a thousand. Our biggest gripe was the volume of space you lose with the dumps on. The good thing about those dump inserts was that they sold in one day. A buddy has a dump kit on his pickup box and I would not recom. those they are really light weight. Good for the home owner for dump runs but we would break them quickly with hard use. Bottom line is a flatbed dump is the way to ride.

Some people don't care for the look of a SRW truck with a flat bed. And alot of ppl like myself would rather just slide an insert and and put high sides on. Also depending on what area you are in the DOT doesn't really enforce weight laws on pickups or local landscapers, so legal payload isn't a major issue. And with todays overbuilt pickup trucks you will be hard pressed to hurt one by being a 1,000lbs or so over weight. Trucks just arent' that sensitive OUR LAWS ARE.

But yes i totally agree if you are hauling tons of material everyday get a real dump truck. I've had both, and find that an insert better suits my needs being mainly a grass cutter. I only need a real dump truck maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and when that happens I just make two trips

JDUtah
02-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Some people don't care for the look of a SRW truck with a flat bed. And alot of ppl like myself would rather just slide an insert and and put high sides on. Also depending on what area you are in the DOT doesn't really enforce weight laws on pickups or local landscapers, so legal payload isn't a major issue. And with todays overbuilt pickup trucks you will be hard pressed to hurt one by being a 1,000lbs or so over weight. Trucks just arent' that sensitive OUR LAWS ARE.

No offense but... what are you thinking?! :hammerhead:

Anyone thinking negligent homicide? :cry:

Jpocket
02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
No offense but... what are you thinking?! :hammerhead:

Anyone thinking negligent homicide? :cry:

You wouldn't understand. Sounds like you're one of these new age guys who thinks you need a brand new overbulit overpowered truck to do the same job guys did years ago with half the truck and an inline-6

rfed32
02-03-2011, 06:07 PM
im looking at putting a used dumper in my 2009 chevy 2500...i figure if i get it for $1200 blast and paint it for another 300 im ahead of the game and it saves me $5000 on a dump plus insurance fro it to sit 3days a week

EverestLandscape
02-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Im with you there rfed, if i hauled stone or top soil every day then ok a mason dump would be it, but for mulch, grass and the occasional stone its perfect. That's a good deal for 1,200. I got mine a new left over from 2009 for 1,700. Good luck with it if you get it