PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic tools?

steveair
09-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Hello,

Anyone out there have any experience with hydraulic driven tools, specifically jack hammers?

I was looking at buying a jack hammer, and being I don't have a compressor, I was forced to look at electric.....which really don't impress me.

Then I say a hydraulic hammer, and was thinking that, with the two pieces of equipment I have, I have two hydrauclic sources ready to go.....both machines have aux ports.

So I'm wondering if anyone else out there has any experiences, or any insight with hooking tools to machines, say a skidsteer or mini-x.

Also, I remembered that partner makes hydraulic demo saws, so bells really starting ringing in my head....I would love the idea of a demo say with no air filter, no oil to mix, and no starter cord to break!

steve

PAPS
09-05-2002, 11:39 PM
never ran any hydraulic tools before, but i must say that i have rented a electric Bosch jack-hammer many a times before when we don't have access with the excavator or bobcat... and i must say that the electric hammer isn't that bad at all......

Bill c
09-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Steve I work for a freight railroad in the track maintence dept and we use hydraulic tools daily under extreme conditions with great results.The jackhammers work great along with the rest of our tools like,1"drive impacts,drills,grinders,saws,and other specialized tools.We have hydraulic outlets on all the trucks with hose reels,and fittings on the backhoes for tough to reach areas.We changed over to mostly hydraulic tools a few years ago and rarely drag a compressor around with us anymore.

BRL
09-06-2002, 09:53 PM
I used a lot of different hydro tools in the past while working for a contractor. Ditto BillC's comments. I can't remember any problems with them, though it has been a while now.

stslawncare
09-06-2002, 10:25 PM
no experience with construction hydralic tools, but i know for sure that rescue hydralic tools are as strong as can be. very low maintenance also. hope this was of some help.
scottie

steveair
09-07-2002, 09:52 AM
Hello,

thanks for the help so far.

I'm going to start looking for a hydraulic hammer. Not sure who makes them though. Anybody know of any manufacturer's off the top of their head?

Also wondering about the flow rates required. Both my machines are around 9-11 gpm. From a few I saw, it seems that is what is required. Wondering if there is any kind of regulator or what not required to run the tools off of a machine. I have a toro dingo and a bobcat 320 mini-x....both with about the same pumps.

I know someone's gonna suggest just buying a hammer attachment for the machines, but I don't like the idea of running hammers on such small machines directly, as I know the damage they can do to bigger machines....that and they are a more than I can justify spending on something I use often, but not that often.

I have no idea of pricing yet.....I just figured that a new electric will run around 1400 and a new pneumatic around 800, so hope its somewhere inbetween.

thanks,

steve

Bill c
09-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Steve most of our tools run at 5-10 gpms.I am not sure of an exact price but they are more than air or electric.I like them because you can just connect two lines and go to work.With the air we had to remember to add oil or kill frost to the air lines.With the hydraulics the only problems we have had was to replace a few seals,and with the air we had problems with running tools under proper pressures and constantly had to have the air wrenches rebuilt.Heres a few sites to check out.

www.steffeninc.com

www.stanleyworks.com