PDA

View Full Version : Dressing up for estimates?

Baytownlawncare
01-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Do you guys dress up for new estimates. I have been trying this on my past 3 estimates and have landed all of them. I am not talking slacks and tie. I have been wearing a nice darker blue or black jeans and like a polo or golf shirt. I have also raised my prices a bit this year just on new clients. I have not had any of the new folks bawk at any pricing. Just wanted to know your experiences on how dressing up works or does not work for you. I am thinking if you come across as a professional that looks nice you have better chances of getting the job. When you look at it, it really is a job interview so you should look nice.

adforester
01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
i ALWAYS dress up to meet a new client!

I have a lucky button up green,white,gold, plaid dress shirt
Clean Jeans
Snow seal(waterproof) my boots the night before (makes them clean lookin)
Chippewa Super Loggers (high heals* look great when dressing up to meet clients! high heels look professional,make you look like your serious, that's my take anyway)
Wear a silver bar bracelet or chain bracelet (they both weigh over 3 ounces!!)
Take a shower
Make sure the truck looks clean and presentable!!
Take Ritalin

Don't forget dog treats
get a cup of coffee so it relaxes the mood a bit

**There's no reason why you shouldn't let your clients know your business is doing well!!** - how u show them this is up to you
That's why i have an 06 f350 and brand new scag mower (i only have 3 accounts but bring it to other clients houses to show them i mow)
then again i'm not a weekend warrior

unit28
01-29-2011, 08:19 PM
It doesn't hurt to dress up for an estimate.

But I've landed as many jobs while bustin my donky, stinkin and sweaty

So here I am, I'm in full stride with a weed wacker flinging debri all over.
And sure as nuts the neighbor is coming over,
They're bobbing and weaving the debri because they decided
it's a great time for a quote.

Lurch01
01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Do you guys dress up for new estimates. I have been trying this on my past 3 estimates and have landed all of them. I am not talking slacks and tie. I have been wearing a nice darker blue or black jeans and like a polo or golf shirt. I have also raised my prices a bit this year just on new clients. I have not had any of the new folks bawk at any pricing. Just wanted to know your experiences on how dressing up works or does not work for you. I am thinking if you come across as a professional that looks nice you have better chances of getting the job. When you look at it, it really is a job interview so you should look nice.

BAYTOWN TX, Great to meet you, I have a few rental homes in your area.

I am new at lawn Care but I own a few other businesses. And yes I would dress up. In fact I already have the clothes set aside just for these estimates. Tell me do you feel more comfortable and professional when you dress nice? FIRST IMPRESSION. we all know the importance of it. :cool2:

Florida Gardener
01-29-2011, 08:31 PM
If it is a scheduled meeting, by all means I put on some jeans with a business polo. I don't need to wear a suit, but I think looking presentable is important.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
01-30-2011, 12:39 AM
I think professionalism is something that this industry isn't known for. When you think of Lawn care, you think of some guy who is wearing dirty jeans and is covered in grass and debris. Anything to make you look more professional to the client is going to be a good idea. Dress for the occasion...if you are going to have a meeting with a highend, large commercial property owner, you should probably dress a little sharper than when you go to an average residential account. Dressing for the occasion may make you a little less intimidating to the client.

If you as me, the best thing you could wear is a clean pair of kayki pants and polo company shirt. If you really want to dress up, a button up dress shirt with your company logo embroidered on it would be sufficient.

Dress for success and impress the client. You may be surprised that customers may take you more seriously than the guy who comes to the door in dirty jeans and sweaty.

Agape
01-30-2011, 12:49 AM
people are more likely to get the checkbook when u show up in hat, shirt, and jacket all with name on it. keep mints and pitt stick/cologne/ body spray in truck.

Growing Green
01-30-2011, 01:47 AM
I always dress up in jeans and a dress shirt when it come to estimates. I can't wait to have more of a uniform, but in the mean time I'm dressing as best as I can. I keep a nice shirt in my truck and cologne so I can spray it on before I give an estimate.

Matt

AI Inc
01-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Dockers and a company golf shirt.

a clear difference lawn
01-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Is this thread serious or a joke? I honestly can't tell!

Lurch01
01-30-2011, 08:52 AM
I think professionalism is something that this industry isn't known for. When you think of Lawn care, you think of some guy who is wearing dirty jeans and is covered in grass and debris. Anything to make you look more professional to the client is going to be a good idea. Dress for the occasion...if you are going to have a meeting with a highend, large commercial property owner, you should probably dress a little sharper than when you go to an average residential account. Dressing for the occasion may make you a little less intimidating to the client.

If you as me, the best thing you could wear is a clean pair of kayki pants and polo company shirt. If you really want to dress up, a button up dress shirt with your company logo embroidered on it would be sufficient.

Dress for success and impress the client. You may be surprised that customers may take you more seriously than the guy who comes to the door in dirty jeans and sweaty.

It could not be said better, I am doing the same things and some of the BOB's mower service people tell me I am a fool. I think to myself that is why you are still cutting grass after 30 years. Appearance is everything. Hey now that I think about it, I need to diet. LOL

chesterlawn
01-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Don't go to the first meeting if you'r ulgy, find a good looking friend and send him.

Baytownlawncare
01-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Serious. I have starting treating my estimates like job interviews. Shoot they are the ones writing the checks or at least you hope so.

Patriot Services
01-30-2011, 09:06 AM
i ALWAYS dress up to meet a new client!

I have a lucky button up green,white,gold, plaid dress shirt
Clean Jeans
Snow seal(waterproof) my boots the night before (makes them clean lookin)
Chippewa Super Loggers (high heals* look great when dressing up to meet clients! high heels look professional,make you look like your serious, that's my take anyway)
Wear a silver bar bracelet or chain bracelet (they both weigh over 3 ounces!!)
Take a shower
Make sure the truck looks clean and presentable!!
Take Ritalin

Don't forget dog treats
get a cup of coffee so it relaxes the mood a bit

**There's no reason why you shouldn't let your clients know your business is doing well!!** - how u show them this is up to you
That's why i have an 06 f350 and brand new scag mower (i only have 3 accounts but bring it to other clients houses to show them i mow)
then again i'm not a weekend warrior

Are you going on a date or crossdressing (bling and high heels)? You do this for every residential estimate you give? During the busy season I may have to work in several estimates a day. Put on a dry shirt, dust off the boots, pass gas and ring the doorbell. Hasn't seemed to affect business. Now meeting with a commercial client would be different. Break out the Armani and big lawn godfather ring when you sit down to talk about "dis thing we gots to do".
Posted via Mobile Device

johnsonslawnmanagement
01-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I wear company polos daily, always tucked in. I wear carhart pants or schmidt pants from tractor supply. I tend to take my time and don't really get that dirty , but I always keep a fresh shirt hanging in the truck in case I have estimates to give after work.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
01-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Ritalin? Dog treats? Come on guys..........sure, you want to look presentable, and come off as someone that the person (or company) trusts, and wouldn't be ashamed to see on their lawn on a regular basis, but............ I don't wear bracelets and high heels for anyone.

I do my best to be clean and smell decent when I go to give a residential estimate. I'm a small operation, and they usually call during working hours, so I'll swing by ASAP. I keep deodorant in the truck, as well as some Axe or something, and a clean shirt. That's about all I can do without going back home for a shower, and that isn't happening. Now, if I were to be going to a meeting with a large account, at a pre-set time, then yes, I'd be decked out. No bracelets though....

Patriot Services
01-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Ritalin? Dog treats? Come on guys..........sure, you want to look presentable, and come off as someone that the person (or company) trusts, and wouldn't be ashamed to see on their lawn on a regular basis, but............ I don't wear bracelets and high heels for anyone.

I do my best to be clean and smell decent when I go to give a residential estimate. I'm a small operation, and they usually call during working hours, so I'll swing by ASAP. I keep deodorant in the truck, as well as some Axe or something, and a clean shirt. That's about all I can do without going back home for a shower, and that isn't happening. Now, if I were to be going to a meeting with a large account, at a pre-set time, then yes, I'd be decked out. No bracelets though....

Would you break out the Jimmie Choo heels if it was real high end?
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
01-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Would you break out the Jimmie Choo heels if it was real high end?
Posted via Mobile Device

No. I might swap my work boots for a clean pair of shoes for that occasion, however. And NO RITALIN!

ALC-GregH
01-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I keep a tuxedo in the truck for those special occasions.

Woody82986
01-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I guess I'm lucky. Most of my estimates come in by email and 90% of my clients I end up meeting in person half way through the season when they have a day off during the week. I mainly just provide lawn care so I am in and out pretty quick. Sometimes I get a potential client who wants to meet in person first and in those cases I wear jeans or khakis, boots and a company logo shirt. I do have many clients I have A. never seen and B. never heard their voice.

SNAPPER MAN
01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Always dress up. Three piece suit from Brooks brothers and some nice wingtips and I'm good to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

bladesnshades
01-30-2011, 11:11 AM
It doesn't hurt to dress up for an estimate.

But I've landed as many jobs while bustin my donky, stinkin and sweaty

So here I am, I'm in full stride with a weed wacker flinging debri all over.
And sure as nuts the neighbor is coming over,
They esman're bobbing and weaving the debri because they decided
it's a great time for a quote.

Had this happen to me 2 times on the same lawn one day. Guess there's something to be said these days about peoples perception of sweat, hard work and some professional equipment. Don't own a tux yet, but dress according to who i'm doing cold calls on that day. Just my .02

outlaw1960
01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I guess I'm lucky. Most of my estimates come in by email and 90% of my clients I end up meeting in person half way through the season when they have a day off during the week. I mainly just provide lawn care so I am in and out pretty quick. Sometimes I get a potential client who wants to meet in person first and in those cases I wear jeans or khakis, boots and a company logo shirt. I do have many clients I have A. never seen and B. never heard their voice.

Same here Woody! If I do have a face to face meeting I do try to clean up a bit...lol.....no bling for me though!

BigDreamsLawn&Landscapes
01-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I agree. When it is a formal meeting I always try to look very presentable. I am usually in Khaki shorts and some sort of business polo. And in the colder months I bought a Columbia Jacket with the business name embroidered. Looks nice and gets alot of compliments and people telling me I look very professional!

Agape
01-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Is this thread serious or a joke? I honestly can't tell!

I found the coors or led zepplin t shirt & cut-offs guy lol

adforester
01-30-2011, 03:00 PM
cologne and deadorant in truck- always

around here it's the Miller Lite shirt that they giveaway at bar events LOL

Exact Rototilling
01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Don't go to the first meeting if you'r ulgy, find a good looking friend and send him.

Yes even ugly people prefer attractive people on their lawns vs. frumpy ones. It's a cruel world.

I can see dressing up for a high priced installation, $6,000 sprinkler system install, a commercial high ticket bid or something of that nature then yes.

If it's an estimate for regular lawn mowing, aeration or even a total lawn renovation I don't think people are going to really care and I frankly don't know how a solo guy would have the time to make themselves 100% presentable...unless it's the off season. IMO it has more to do with showing up before the other guy does and presenting your self professionally even though you maybe a bit grubby or sweaty.

justanotherlawnguy
01-31-2011, 04:22 AM
I change from the dirty t-shirt to a dickies button up work shirt with name embroidered on one side and biz name on the other.
they always have the name when they get off the phone and its easy to rememeber when they see you face to face...

a clear difference lawn
01-31-2011, 06:11 AM
I found the coors or led zepplin t shirt & cut-offs guy lol

Yep - that's me. Funny though, I have 80 customers who pay every month because their lawn looks good who clearly don't give a @#^# how snappy my wardrobe is. I bet you guys watch the oxygen channel, secretly want to own a chihuahua, and try to color coordinate with your wives or girlfriends!

AI Inc
01-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes even ugly people prefer attractive people on their lawns vs. frumpy ones. It's a cruel world.

I can see dressing up for a high priced installation, $6,000 sprinkler system install, a commercial high ticket bid or something of that nature then yes.

If it's an estimate for regular lawn mowing, aeration or even a total lawn renovation I don't think people are going to really care and I frankly don't know how a solo guy would have the time to make themselves 100% presentable...unless it's the off season. IMO it has more to do with showing up before the other guy does and presenting your self professionally even though you maybe a bit grubby or sweaty.

Thats why I do the dockers and golf shirt. All I sell is irrigation systems and lighting.

Lefet
01-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Always in "uniform". Logo'd polo shirt uniform pants. ALWAYS try to do a face to face. Easier to upsell that way, have them walk the property, find out what they like, don't like, what we can do to improve their property. Is it a little dirty that day from work? Possibly, yes.

Face to face also helps figure out if they're going to be a PITA or not.

Patriot Services
01-31-2011, 08:56 AM
I always have fresh shirts in the truck. Even now I will go through 3 in day with sweat. I had to put a washer and dryer in the shop just to keep a clean supply.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
01-31-2011, 09:06 AM
pitt stick/cologne/ body spray in truck.

A little word of advice here. Any kind of perfume, cologne etc gives me a severe headache. I am not the only person this happens to. It's called an allergy. You're better off just being clean and using a non scented deodorant. Brush your teeth (no smoking, people can smell it on your breath) and comb your hair.

Lefet
01-31-2011, 09:09 AM
A little word of advice here. Any kind of perfume, cologne etc gives me a severe headache. I am not the only person this happens to. It's called an allergy. You're better off just being clean and using a non scented deodorant. Brush your teeth (no smoking, people can smell it on your breath) and comb your hair.

HAIR????? WHO STILL HAS HAIR?????????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Richard Martin
01-31-2011, 09:10 AM
To go to formal estimates I wear black jeans, nice Desert Boots (get in the wayback machine younger people), a nice polo with my name and the company name on it, clean hat, watch, belt etc.. It is a nice presentable appearance.

Richard Martin
01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Nevermind...

CLARK LAWN
01-31-2011, 09:17 AM
one i have learned is to wear the wedding ring. i hardly ever wear it, read about that last year and tried it. it seemed like people trust you more and feel you will be more dependable if you are married.

2brothersyardcare
01-31-2011, 09:23 AM
i wear company shirt and shorts and dc call me crazy or i wear jeans and booths i have done bids in flip flops i relay dont care

MOturkey
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
I would say it probably depends on the type of account you are bidding on. If you show up dressed to the hilt flashing bling-bling at a low end account, they will likely immediately assume you are going to be higher, even if you aren't.

The guy I bought out last year had the opposite strategy. Dressed like a homeless guy and never, and I mean never, washed his old truck. His theory was the customers would assume he was cheap labor, from the way he looked, and it seemed to work for him. :)

coolluv
01-31-2011, 10:04 AM
I would say it probably depends on the type of account you are bidding on. If you show up dressed to the hilt flashing bling-bling at a low end account, they will likely immediately assume you are going to be higher, even if you aren't.

The guy I bought out last year had the opposite strategy. Dressed like a homeless guy and never, and I mean never, washed his old truck. His theory was the customers would assume he was cheap labor, from the way he looked, and it seemed to work for him. :)

Yeah that's why he is still in business.:laugh:

Dave...

mdvaden
07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Yep - that's me. Funny though, I have 80 customers who pay every month because their lawn looks good who clearly don't give a @#^# how snappy my wardrobe is.

No ... I have a Chihuahua already. (had a Rott previous)

Also ... wear embroidered shirts, newer jeans, and a step up from runners to estimates.

Have hundreds of customers who call as work is needed, and never had a collection since 1988.

Here is food for thought ...

www.mdvaden.com/changing_behavior.shtml (http://www.mdvaden.com/changing_behavior.shtml)

Different aspect ... but same nature of cultural perception.

You would likely never know about the 60 who never hired you for looking like slob though. And odds are that no work will be lost for dressing a little bit better.