PDA

View Full Version : 2011 will be the roughest year for most of us and I explain why

soloscaperman
01-29-2011, 06:22 PM
With the amounts of snow I already have a few customers that are scared about not just missing work and losing but speding the money for me to plow, walkways and roofs. With gas prices going slowly up customers will not have that "extra money" for mulch jobs, and other side work. I was right about the snow and I have a strong feeling it's going to be a tight wallet for most customers for the new year. CT is in a snow strom stream and we will keep getting more. We have beatin all snow records and it's only Jan.

The new smucks that are getting into snow plowing and doing it cheap will now have money for mowers and charge cheap.

freshcut419
01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Not much snow here in south east Michigan, does that mean I'll have a good mowing season because there have saved money on snow plowing and can remulch there beds this summer? I sure hope so.

unit28
01-29-2011, 07:06 PM
With the amounts of snow I already have a few customers that are scared about not just missing work and losing but speding the money for me to plow, walkways and roofs. With gas prices going slowly up customers will not have that "extra money" for mulch jobs, and other side work. I was right about the snow and I have a strong feeling it's going to be a tight wallet for most customers for the new year. CT is in a snow strom stream and we will keep getting more. We have beatin all snow records and it's only Jan.

The new smucks that are getting into snow plowing and doing it cheap will now have money for mowers and charge cheap.

well,
the lowball man is gonna have to get his gas at the same place right?
I think we got him right were we want him.

Lurch01
01-29-2011, 07:31 PM

Brother, you have some decent points, But don't focus on that. I say people will be busy working more than ever and will not have time to cut the lawns, and when they are free they must spend it with family.:weightlifter: I see it totally different. We create our own reality.

Tharrell
01-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Decide if you can bid for what you want or have to bid to keep work.
I don't care what anyone says, that's how it's done.
btw-You probably will have a challenging year based on your expectations.
Don't focus on so much negativity.
Remember, someone always makes money on wall street despite which way the market goes.

soloscaperman
01-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Most of you don't know but some customers have there own budget for the year for services. I made so much money already snow plowing that it makes my fall cleanups look like a joke. I have seen some rich neighbors where I work that fired the plowman and have there whole family shovel because it's snowing every 5 days!!

4 seasons lawn&land
01-29-2011, 08:33 PM
someone will come up with a doom & gloom thread for every single circumstance. Ive heard it all now.

zturncutter
01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
someone will come up with a doom & gloom thread for every single circumstance. Ive heard it all now.

Exactly, don't make excuses for failure, make excuses for success. :weightlifter:

mowerbrad
01-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I think this year will be pretty good. I had a good year last year and I expect this year to be about the same, hopefully better.

Just because wealthy people are starting to shovel their own driveway, doesn't mean that things are going to get rough. You have to remember that people don't get rich by spending their money.

JayD
01-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, I know around here with the big drought we had, they saved a lot of money because I did'nt make it when the grass was not growing.....I'm glad to see the snow heavy this year, that puts more water into the ground.

Florida Gardener
01-29-2011, 10:00 PM
"wether you believe you can or you can't, your right."
Posted via Mobile Device

mezammit
01-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Why do people post negative depressing on here??? Just because it has snowed a lot in the North East and companies are making a killing with snow removal does not mean lawn customers are going to be canceling. Yeah every customer has a budget and only so much to spend but that does not mean they are done for the year. Lets focus on the positive and build on that PLEASE. We have a business to be in business to make money and provide our services where and when needed.

JB1
01-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Why do people post negative depressing on here??? Just because it has snowed a lot in the North East and companies are making a killing with snow removal does not mean lawn customers are going to be canceling. Yeah every customer has a budget and only so much to spend but that does not mean they are done for the year. Lets focus on the positive and build on that PLEASE. We have a business to be in business to make money and provide our services where and when needed.

they are members of the "Doom and Gloom" club.

freshcut419
01-29-2011, 11:18 PM
I had a good year last year ... Im thinking this year will be even better.

Agape
01-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I had a good year last year ... Im thinking this year will be even better.

same here, if people don't have money then they should be out shoveling snow themselves. The economy is hurting but there are still people who have, and you just gotta look a little harder to find em and market yourself better. It's a numbers game.

dKoester
01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Successful people concentrate on being positive. You negative people never get anywhere in life.

flatlander42
01-30-2011, 12:21 AM
Successful people concentrate on being positive. You negative people never get anywhere in life.

If there was a "like" button for this post....I'd click on it.:weightlifter:

soloscaperman
01-30-2011, 12:32 AM
There is a point from being negative and telling the truth. If you don't see reality or guard yourself you will fail. I am just saying this year may be rough for some area's in this country. I am not a gloom and doom person.

twcw5804
01-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Cell phone business is worse. Im going full time
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
01-30-2011, 02:26 AM
There is a point from being negative and telling the truth. If you don't see reality or guard yourself you will fail. I am just saying this year may be rough for some area's in this country. I am not a gloom and doom person.

guard against what? just advertise more, finance less, and be better than the other guys. go the extra mile on one time cleanups, and stick to your program on maintenance, giving them what they are paying for, but with excellence. don't say "I'm busy enough, why do fliers now?" you'll be fine.

I'm not a pessimist..... I'm an optomist with experience.

Agape
01-30-2011, 02:27 AM

guard against what? just advertise more, finance less, and be better than the other guys. go the extra mile on one time cleanups, and stick to your program on maintenance, giving them what they are paying for, but with excellence. don't say "I'm busy enough, why do fliers now?" you'll be fine.

I'm not a pessimist..... I'm an optimist with experience.

Agape
01-30-2011, 02:30 AM
that was weird, apparently, I agree with me.

soloscaperman
01-30-2011, 02:51 AM
I'm just saying better to be safe that sorry. Maybe from plowing so much my mind went crazy that night. I usually over think but I like to think of what could happen and have options to those. You have to think ahead even if it doesn't happen.I'm new to the business and might be over reacting but the rate were going some people are going to be "broke" when the snow storms stops. There is another big storm for Wednesday and there is no where to put it. Roads have walls of snow that are higher then my truck. Two lane roads are one in some places.

zturncutter
01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm just saying better to be safe that sorry. Maybe from plowing so much my mind went crazy that night. I usually over think but I like to think of what could happen and have options to those. You have to think ahead even if it doesn't happen.I'm new to the business and might be over reacting but the rate were going some people are going to be "broke" when the snow storms stops. There is another big storm for Wednesday and there is no where to put it. Roads have walls of snow that are higher then my truck. Two lane roads are one in some places.

There is nothing wrong with considering problems that may come up in the future, just don't dwell on them. Stay positive and try to think outside the box when coming up with solutions. Remember, your competition has to deal with these same problems and some of them will fail, persistence is key to success.

ShooterK2
01-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Now that was funny.

Soloscaperman, I'm sure that folks have dealt with this type of winter before, or at least something similar. But, come Spring, the grass is still going to grow. And if they don't have the ability or desire to take care of that themselves, then they will still have to figure out what to do about it (hire someone to cut it).

I bet that, by about June, this whole subject will long be forgotten.

Jpocket
01-30-2011, 08:24 AM

You are going nuts with no grass to cut. You ever heard of the saying "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it" ? Thats what you need to tell yourself.

J Hisch
01-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Thinking, planning, is what leads to profits, not thinking is what kills. Then one must act on his thinking and planning. The hard part.

Patriot Services
01-30-2011, 08:33 AM

There's that ego thing again. I was at HD the other day and saw the tax refund startups crawling over the cheap Z's. I just shake my head. The usual signs of spring scrub weeds in bloom.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
01-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Safe than sorry from what?!
If people are out of money its because they spent all their money on YOU.

Just don't live at the edge of your means, don't use your BEST month/year as the guage for your budget or monthly spending.

Ridiculous! "better safe than sorry" you've given no advice, no contingency plan, just a statement that we're all screwed because people in your area had a lot of snow......I don't understand....doesn't it......snow there?, I mean...have they lived there before this? Or did the entire populace just move in from Arizona?

Agape
01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
QUOTE=Patriot Services;3874976]There's that ego thing again. I was at HD the other day and saw the tax refund startups crawling over the cheap Z's. I just shake my head. The usual signs of spring scrub weeds in bloom.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't have an ego if I WEREN'T SOOO AWESOME!!!:usflag:[

Patriot Services
01-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Wait until you start agreeing to disagree with yourself. That's when the medications start.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
01-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Most of my snow clients are on flat rate seasonal so a heavy winter can really hurt the operator if you have to hire people or sub out work. If you are solo you will be making less for time spent in a heavy winter. Also in a light winter you don't have to work as hard but still have cash flow. payup

It tends to average out. Regardless there are cheap pita people that want it both ways.

I'd like to make enough during the growing season to play in the snow instead of working in the snow.

Just a thought.

Agape
01-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Wait until you start agreeing to disagree with yourself. That's when the medications start.
Posted via Mobile Device

lol, I have a prescription for that officer!

Golfpro21
01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Most of you don't know but some customers have there own budget for the year for services. I made so much money already snow plowing that it makes my fall cleanups look like a joke. I have seen some rich neighbors where I work that fired the plowman and have there whole family shovel because it's snowing every 5 days!!

well if you have made SO MUCH money from plowing...that will help offset your so called less revenue this coming season so you should be fine...think positive

Lefet
01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm going to stay positive and say this season will be better than last season. You take what you learned last year, adjust if necessary, move forward.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
01-31-2011, 07:22 AM
2011 is looking good. I'm excited. Hard work, it's what it takes. IF you want it bad enough, you'll find the work, and make the money. My glass is more than half full. :)

gasracer
01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
None of us will know anything till Spring/Summer gets here.

StanWilhite
01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
You are going nuts with no grass to cut. You ever heard of the saying "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it." Thats what you need to tell yourself.

I've always been confused by the statement, "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."
Huh?....does that mean you have the option to cross a bridge BEFORE you get to it?? :dizzy:

fatguy28
01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
well i have high hopes this year it will be my second year in bizz. did good last year and will do better this year nomatter how hard it gets

soloscaperman
01-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Maybe some of you guys don't get it. CT has beatin any record ever recorded. The state has called for a state emergency. People are freakin out lol. Trust me some people are going to use the snow storms as an excuse for less side work in the summer. Were getting another foot tomorrow. There is now where to put this snow. Roofs are collapsing in CT buildings, gas stations, and homes.

freshcut419
01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Maybe some of you guys don't get it. CT has beatin any record ever recorded. The state has called for a state emergency. People are freakin out lol. Trust me some people are going to use the snow storms as an excuse for less side work in the summer. Were getting another foot tomorrow. There is now where to put this snow. Roofs are collapsing in CT buildings, gas stations, and homes.

Shouldnt you be sleeping then if more is coming... Pics Lets see some Pics??

soloscaperman
01-31-2011, 11:15 PM
wtnh.com for pictures and some videos. It's going to start 6Am and stop around 7PM so I got enough time to go to sleep. Thanks for caring though ha ha.