PDA

View Full Version : I see alot of problems but little solutions. What works

Lurch01
01-29-2011, 09:08 PM
First off I must say, I am sorry for the loss each of you has suffered and I hope you can find the people who did these crimes against you alone somewhere. Somewhere that will leave none of your foot prints and has no witnesses.

Now Tell me please what is working for people to deter the crime especially stolen equipment?. Sadly many of the people we work with in this business are just 1 lost job away from being thieves themselves.

Does anyone store items at night in a gated storage facility? Of is that a NO NO? Do I need to chin down everything as well. I can not bring the trailer home every night. DAMN HOA would make issues.

Please tell me what lets you sleep at night. I will be spending 10k in a few days on new equipment and want to feel safe leaving my goods at night.

mayorofperryville
02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I mark every thing!!!! an electric etcher works well in and under panels also mark with green safety paint it sticks out. braided cable works for smaller stuff cans, baggers, handtools ect. write down serial numbers and take photos (if poleroids were still around that would be handy)
most important have a plan for if or when something gets stolen IE do you park in a place thats offers cover for the thiefs? when you mow the lawns is there better places to park were you can see around your truck?
think like a thief watch other lcos in the area do they leave stuff out in the open trailer unsecured and unattended? NO!!! also get a truck dog you will have someone to talk to and he will hopefully bark to get your attention or scare punk kids away.
just what i do hope it helps.

AI Inc
02-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Guns and dogs.

Falcon50EX
02-06-2011, 08:47 AM
First off I must say, I am sorry for the loss each of you has suffered and I hope you can find the people who did these crimes against you alone somewhere. Somewhere that will leave none of your foot prints and has no witnesses.

Now Tell me please what is working for people to deter the crime especially stolen equipment?. Sadly many of the people we work with in this business are just 1 lost job away from being thieves themselves.

Does anyone store items at night in a gated storage facility? Of is that a NO NO? Do I need to chin down everything as well. I can not bring the trailer home every night. DAMN HOA would make issues.

Please tell me what lets you sleep at night. I will be spending 10k in a few days on new equipment and want to feel safe leaving my goods at night.

Keep it all inside a locked storage unit. Gated storage facility most of the time they make those spots in the back so the guy cut the fence and come in the back. A good cable cutter or sawzall will unlock most if not all. :gunsfirin

mayorofperryville
02-07-2011, 01:15 AM
nra stickers and the globe and anchor should warn away anyone who whants to live.

Think Green
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Lurch,
I hate to dishearten anyone like myself in the business but if a thief wants our equipment their isn't much to keep them from taking it.
I am friends with CID officers, Detectives, and foot officers that will tell you "Do not post or paste intimidating stickers, signs or other forms of public aggression around or on your property. There will be someone to test your intentions. I used to have a bumper sticker that said--" Stop poaching-Game" My tires were sliced on the truck. I had signs that state--"Never mind the Dog, Beware the Owner!" Doesn't matter--doesn't deter anyone wanting your surplus. Heavy braided wire, logging chains will slow a thief down and possibly deter them from an easy steal, but with mini torches and other portable devices, the use is wasted. Locks can be cut--doors will be pried open, gates smashed, lights blown out--there is no end or the thief would stop. Animals to protect property is a technique but like any other living thing...........it can be stopped with poisons.
The last time our equipment was stolen.........it was done on a Saturday.....in broad daylight and in the afternoon. People all around and no one saw a darn thing.
When you have employees arriving and leaving, no one will think anything more.

I don't want this to come across as rude............but............in this business, it is not if you get taken........it is when!!! I have not been able to recover any piece of lost equipment from the last 3 times we were hit.
It always seems to happen a few months after a bad employee leaves, or you know they have brothers that work for other competitor's.

mayorofperryville
02-09-2011, 11:12 PM
First off you'r right NOTHING will stop a determined thief.
Lets try and be positive and just pay attention! I try and learn from other peoples mistakes, ask questions and think like a thief. I dont know if this helps but (knock on wood) I have not had much stolen from me exept a few gas cans and hand tools. A couple of times I have come across someone who claims to be from the neighborhood and just seems a little to nosey, they always seem friendly and claim to admire my work. I take note of licence plates ect could it be a ligit neighbor yes could it be a thief maybe err on the side of caution and take notes. I try to keep my truck in sight at most times and break up my routines. I will also make excuses to go to the truck breaks time check,let the dog out,ect. MY TIME MY MONEY MY BUSINESS. I read this forum alot also to not make other peoples mistakes.
Also once when i was working for another landscaper. His foreman fired me ( I let him it was two weeks before i left for basic training) The "boss" had his wife lock the garage. I was very offended since i thought this guy was my friend but now looking back he was just looking out for his family and looking back it was the correct thing to do even though he lost a buddy.

p.s. I knew more than the foreman and he was out to get me since Dave hired me on the spot in the middle of the season with a full crew.

Lurch01
02-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Ok there is nothing i can do, But I sure as hell will slow them down. All day every day, My dog is with me. I will post waring signs as well. My past speaks for itself.I will KILL a thief Odds are with my bare hands. But it is best to try and make it difficult. When I run 3 more crews I will move and build an office of my land. I hope they break in there. Lord I hope, Texas has a great thing called the Castle Law.

Thanks for all the help. I do what I can and make the push to move to private storage. I guess tis is a time when my past will help me. Bless you all. And thanks for being honest.

GreenI.A.
02-12-2011, 12:45 PM
All my equipment is stored inside at night. During the day My dog is in the back seat of the truck. He barks at anyone that comes to close and gets pretty excited if he feals threatened. Not only will I hear his bark if I'm out back, but he's 180 lbs so if he starts jumping around in the truck the alrm goes off as well. He looks threatening and is protective, but if he ever got out after a theif I would probably find the guy on the ground drowned in slobber

mayorofperryville
02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
hey just thought of something. Alot of states have something like the castle law, me thinks it may vary from place to place but some things hold true. first piont make shure the rifle or pistol you use is legal clip size registered ect. also make shure you dont shoot the thief in the back (call out something to get them to face you and shoot them in the head) Also when the cops arrive use words like how terrorised and afraid you felt and lastly tell them how strangley the thief was acting. He was speaking to himself, You herd people arguing in the garage to discover onley one person and ur wife nd kids are in the house. you being an upstanding and forgiving citizen gave the thief an opportunity to leave and he threatened you and said something about havin a firearm before he started to approach you in a menacing way. AND NEVER EVER TELL A COP YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS INSTEAD INFORM THEM YOU KNOW YOUR CIVIL LIBERTY'S. Be as calm and professional as you can and by all means cooperate if they start too try and strong arm you be polite and firm and lastly always call ur lawyer. Nuff said hope this never has to happen to anyone.:usflag::usflag:for the citizens, by the citizens:usflag::usflag:

GreenI.A.
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
hey just thought of something. Alot of states have something like the castle law, me thinks it may vary from place to place but some things hold true. first piont make shure the rifle or pistol you use is legal clip size registered ect. also make shure you dont shoot the thief in the back (call out something to get them to face you and shoot them in the head) Also when the cops arrive use words like how terrorised and afraid you felt and lastly tell them how strangley the thief was acting. He was speaking to himself, You herd people arguing in the garage to discover onley one person and ur wife nd kids are in the house. you being an upstanding and forgiving citizen gave the thief an opportunity to leave and he threatened you and said something about havin a firearm before he started to approach you in a menacing way. AND NEVER EVER TELL A COP YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS INSTEAD INFORM THEM YOU KNOW YOUR CIVIL LIBERTY'S. Be as calm and professional as you can and by all means cooperate if they start too try and strong arm you be polite and firm and lastly always call ur lawyer. Nuff said hope this never has to happen to anyone.:usflag::usflag:for the citizens, by the citizens:usflag::usflag:

here you can't shoot unless you are backed into a corner with no way to retreat, and if you ever said the guy was talking to himself and acting weird you would be strung up for shooting someone mentally ill. I can picture the way the news would paint you as a cruel person who killed a mentally handicapped person. As soon as I called 911, I would be calling my attorney before the cops ever arived.

mayorofperryville
02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
yup thats mass for ya!!! when i go to maine for hunting i wont even bring my guns through that state. and it might make the mass news but around here the news would be " Today a Mass man was arrested for protecting his family against an armed mentally ill intruder."
yup that suxs you have to live in a post Ducockass mass it was really a nice place till he took over. He was voted in though i mean people voted in a guy whos name whos name means grab ur ankles!!!
you right, I lived there had some run ins with the Bedford police and they are more concerned with taking care of the perps than taking care of the victims.(probly cause they know how libreal the court system and sue crazy everyone is)

Falcon50EX
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
The black one is K9 training and the sable will bite if commanded
[/url] http://www.psdkennels.com/

People walk on the other side of the street. I normally have one or the other

Lurch01
02-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Great looking dogs. I am proud you have taken the time to have them trained.

kilgoja
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
lock stuff up in the garage at night...always be in a position where you can see your truck and trailer...as much as possible.....when you stop to eat lunch at a fast food place sit where you can look out the window and see your truck and trailer...if you can't then take the food outside and sit in your truck and eat...if someone takes something and tries to run off chase them down and beat the holy crap out of them until they will never do anything like that again....if they try to run off with a trimmer tackle them from behind then crank it up and trim their head off with it lol...then shove the blower up their ass and go full throttle rofl...and if they are super bad criminals then bury them up to their neck and run over them with your mower

TSB group
03-13-2011, 03:41 AM
Dude, your state sucks! I had the good fortune to paint a scum bags chest with the laser sight on my glock a few short weeks ago inside my shop area. I called the cops while he stood there sweating. Landscapers talk.....so do theives. Cannot imagine having any more issues here!

here you can't shoot unless you are backed into a corner with no way to retreat, and if you ever said the guy was talking to himself and acting weird you would be strung up for shooting someone mentally ill. I can picture the way the news would paint you as a cruel person who killed a mentally handicapped person. As soon as I called 911, I would be calling my attorney before the cops ever arived.

GreenI.A.
03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Dude, your state sucks! I had the good fortune to paint a scum bags chest with the laser sight on my glock a few short weeks ago inside my shop area. I called the cops while he stood there sweating. Landscapers talk.....so do theives. Cannot imagine having any more issues here!

ahh lasers, that's another thing here. No lasers that project onto the target. You can have a red dot sight that puts a dot on your sight for only you to see but can not project onto the target/person. Police can't have them either, state police swat cant even have them on their mp5s, only feds can have them legally. Most officers still do have them though, or they have an internal lazer like I do on my glock that is mounted in the pistols recoil spring. When you apply the slightest pressure to the trigger the laser comes on and projects onto the target, but when you take your finger off it shuts off.

How about glocks, only police officers can purchase glocks manufactured after 10/1998 because of the trigger pull. Officers need a letter from their chief stating that they are authorizing the officer to purchase it for "official duty" before a store can sell it to them. This means that we civilians can only purchase pre 98 glocks. When you find a good condition one you can find at the dealer it's going to sell for $150-$200 MORE than a new model goes for because of supply and demand. luckily some of the bigger dealers do buy outs from police departments. My G22 came from a buy out when Detroit PD upgraded a bunch of their issued firearms, my dealer was able to get his hands on probably 20 of these from Detroit. And you can't buy out of state firearms either even if they are MA compliant. You need a licensed dealer to purchase from the person for you and then they can sell it to you with their markup. And how about long guns, I have an AR15. Can I put a collapsible stock on it - Ye can I put a vertical front grip that mounts below the hand guards - Yes. Can I have both on it? NO, I can only make one alteration to a long gun. Most dealers will only sell AR15 were the butt stick is molded into the lower receiver so that it can not be made into a collapsible stock. Had to special order mine, the only reason the dealer did it for me is because he knows I'm a vet

Hell even Springfield Armory that is made here in the state isn't legal because they aren't made to MA specs.

I just feel bad for the few states that are actually worse than us here. I don't agree with how easy it is in some states to carry, I definitely think there should a middle ground that allows law abiding sane people to carry.

i think my rant is done

SLR
03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
The black one is K9 training and the sable will bite if commanded
[/url] http://www.psdkennels.com/
People walk on the other side of the street. I normally have one or the other

Love that pic!..
BUT!

PL-e-ase put down some cushion/carpet down for your personal beloved K-9's!
Those are hard surfaces for them to deal with all day.

Falcon50EX
03-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Love that pic!..
BUT!

PL-e-ase put down some cushion/carpet down for your personal beloved K-9's!
Those are hard surfaces for them to deal with all day.

Hell I leave the back glass open and the AC on so they can come in and out. If they like or when they hear something. It is very funny to watch a person walk by the then they get out and stand on the back. Every now and then my female will lay under a tree or shrub.

SLR
03-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Hell I leave the back glass open..

hmm..let me go take another peek,guess my eyes are getting dim in my old age,me thinks it's closed,i better make an appointment with lenscrafters asap.
:)
Just bugging you,glad they are on your priority list!

Falcon50EX
03-30-2011, 04:12 PM
We are in my driveway so yes the window is closed
Posted via Mobile Device

madisonpressurewashing
04-03-2011, 02:50 AM
I have to wild Dingo's. These wild dogs are use to protecting thier den in the wild as a matter of life or death. So, not a dang thing gets near my yard with out all hell breaking out. But, the good part is that they do not run out of the yard to bite people.