PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki oil drain

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Does kawasaki make a oil drain extension for their engines ? Looked into the drainzits kit but they do not show the kawasaki engines .

Clark Griswold
01-30-2011, 12:30 PM
My 22 has a plastic tube that extends down into a oil drain pan, I just leave it on all time & never take it off!

StanWilhite
01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Does kawasaki make a oil drain extension for their engines ? Looked into the drainzits kit but they do not show the kawasaki engines .

I spent a couple of hrs a while back looking for an oil drain for my 26hp LC Kawi and found a couple that were around 35.00. I came to the conclusion that the best way to do it is to go the hardware store and fab one up. I'd suggest you either take the oil plug w/you, or, if you have a nut/bolt gauge, measure the dia and thread count of the oil plug to get started. Should be very easy to do. I think (not sure) the threads are the same as regular galvanized pipe thread, so just get a nipple, a valve, some clamps and rubber hose. I'd keep the nipple coming out of the engine pretty short to minimize the chance of breaking it off.

Green Machine Mowing
01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
The Kawi in my quick trak has a little brass valve in place of the drain plug, I picked up some rubber hose, slid it over the barbs temporarily then cracked the valve w/ an end wrench, it is a really slick setup, I think maybe John Deere ordered that setup from kawi because the way the engine sits in there you have to do it that way to prevent a huge oil mes everywhere at every oil change.

Thats something you may look into

Dogbonz
01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
The Gravely ZTXL I just bought has a tube that extends the drain to past the frame for a no mess oil change. Kaw 24 engine

jkingrph
01-30-2011, 03:05 PM
My Scag Wildcat came with a valve ( need a open wrachet wrench to operate it best) that dispenses used oil straight down. Trouble is it runs all over frame so I put a piece of hose so I can directed it where I want.

grassman177
01-30-2011, 05:39 PM
plugs are crap. most mowers we have used came with a valve and or a hose(if not, irrigation flex tufing for heads works very well). recently came across the one used on my new gradstand 24kawi. different but effective. i hope it doesnt leak as it almost seems like it would after a while.

we have on a rare occasson made our own and is annoying to do but simple and worth it.

Dogbonz
01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Here is a pic of mine.

Plus here is a link to a drain valve,, that is tool less. http://www.fumotousa.com/

jkingrph
01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Here is a pic of mine.

Plus here is a link to a drain valve,, that is tool less. http://www.fumotousa.com/

fumoto is what I was trying to think about. I have one on my big Honda generator, pressure washer, and one on my F-250 diesel truck. They can be had with a nipple outlet so a hose can be added to direct the oil to a better location.

pugs
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Kawasaki makes an oil drain adapter for the air cooled V-twins. It goes from their o-ring/threads to a normal pipe thread to which you can attach anything you dream up at the hardware store or a Drainzit.

sosaysmorvant
01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
In the deep south, what oil are you folks using for regular oil changes? Do you guys change the grade of oil used as the engine gets older? Say it really doesn't matter.....and others say to use the best oil to get the most out of your KAW engine. Who's right?

Richard Martin
01-31-2011, 08:13 PM
As pugs pointed out, a whole lot of the Kawasaki engines don't use the American NPT sizing. They're usually metric and many of them have an o-ring too. The difficulty you have is finding the correct valve (Kawi has a bunch of them) for your application. It's going to take a bit of research to find the right one unless you get lucky.

lotsagrass
01-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Maybe try an eXmark dealer? My Lazer with the 28HP Kai engine came with an extension hose on it already. I bet an eXmark dealer has a part number for this.

It's partially visible in this photo of mine, below the oil filter. I can take a better photo if you want...but it's just a hose with a plug (bolt sort of thing) in the end.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1173927575_7Tzqy-L.jpg

sjcorpst
01-31-2011, 11:54 PM
I went through the same search for a drain plug, the end answer was yes, I could get an alternate drain tube but to change it out and get the other one on, required unbolting the engine. This was to install the drain tube that they are now putting on the Scag V Pros. My solution was to get a hand syphon pump from Marpac. Changed the oil without a drop spilled and never touched the drain plug. AND I had the oil in a container that I just took to the recycling place and dumped.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|296536|314179&id=1345777

frotis
08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Kawasaki makes an oil drain adapter for the air cooled V-twins. It goes from their o-ring/threads to a normal pipe thread to which you can attach anything you dream up at the hardware store or a Drainzit.

Do you have a part # for the adapter? I have a FS481V on an eXmark Metro and would like to know what thread size it is, I tried to call 3 authorized kawasaki places and no one can answer it or tell me if there was any kinda of adapter.