PDA

View Full Version : using 2 blades per spindle on 52 Scag Hydro

pja1672
01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
I have heard of people using a double blade set up on a scag hydo, is this recommended? If so, what should i use for blade combination and how far should they be spaced apart. What would be the reduction in clippings?

elitefox
02-03-2011, 01:46 AM
WOW!! really? I love scag, yes their spindles and belts would handle it, I just don't see the need. Seems like a "PITA" of an idea to me. Let us know what u try/find out:drinkup:

gasracer
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Why not just use gators if you are worried about clippings.
I have saw some 4 blade kits around but wouldn't it take twice the power to pull 4 instead of 2?

pja1672
02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I have heard of people using a low to medium lift blade with a gator blade on top.......I have never done it and have used gator blades on a 60 exmark rider......it sounds like overkill but I wanted to know if anyone has tried it and the results...I wouldn't want to compromise cut quality...

Roger
02-03-2011, 05:59 PM
LS had many posts about double blades a couple of years ago, but has faded in the past year or two. Do a search and you will find many posts.

I tried doubles on an Exmark 36" Viking -- cool weather grasses here, with heavy Spring growth. After using them for awhile, I scrapped the idea, and have not run doubles for 4-5 years. I ran a high lift on the bottom, Gator on the top.

My conclusion is that I wasn't doing any better than singles. Yes, it took more power, more time to get blades fully engaged. The clippings were being discharged, or bagged. I concluded I wasn't getting much recutting, no better clipping distribution, hence not saving anything. The Gator (position in the top position) got dull very slowly, meaning it was not doing much cutting.

In my experience, not a good thing to do, but may work for others.

gasracer
02-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I knew I had saw a 4 blade system but I don't think it is the same idea you have of stacking them.
http://www.meg-mo.com/meg-mo-system.html

Patriot Services
02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Old idea. Blade manufacturers listened. Single magnums can't be beat. The doubles sometimes moved so much air they flattened the grass down and blew clippings out the edges.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
....The doubles sometimes moved so much air they flattened the grass down and blew clippings out the edges.
Posted via Mobile Device

Depends upon the blades being used. With my setup the vacuum was much greater -- left hard stripes, and pulled up anything that was loose.

jgoddard8409
02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Has any one on here used the Meg Mo System?? Looks Interesting and effective...but looks are decieving...LOL :cool:

Patriot Services
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Has any one on here used the Meg Mo System?? Looks Interesting and effective...but looks are decieving...LOL :cool:

Are they still around?
Posted via Mobile Device

jgoddard8409
02-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Web Site says so...LOL..Allways trust the internet!!!!!!

Patriot Services
02-03-2011, 08:16 PM
It was an interesting attempt to fix what isn't broke.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Guess you tried the SCAG mulching blades?

mezammit
02-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Dixie Chopper has had a 2 blade system like this for a while now. I was thinking about buying the blade conversion to put on my lazer but it was around $60 per spindle that would be for the 2 blades not worth it to me. Called the dealer last fall and they swore by them. If you go on the Dixie chopper website they have a picture of them I think they are called the x-blade. Maybe this season I will give them a try.