PDA

View Full Version : ditch witch sk650

RhinoL&L
01-30-2011, 07:18 PM
I have been looking around for a used mini, and I think I am set on a DW sk650. Seems to have the most power, and best lifting capacity. From everything Ive read on here as well as a few other sites, it seems like the DW outperforms most of the other brands in most areas except for the controls.

My problem is I cant seem to find any used ones for sale. Has anyone bought a used DW, can you spill the marbles as to where these units can be found? I have been looking on machinery trader, CL, even ebay, and I really cant seem to find any! Does anyone have advise on where to find em?

Thanks
Shawn

P.Services
01-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Your right that is by FAR the best machine. Keep an eye on ebay and machinerytrader.com I have seen almost new machines on both sites go for 13-15k. New they are 27ish I believe.

Oh shoot I just remembered I know of a NICE one for cheap pm me
Posted via Mobile Device

RhinoL&L
01-31-2011, 08:17 AM
pm sent.

I would love to find a nice used machine for that price! I know it seems that they are more expensive than other units when purchased new, but i still cant get over the good things people say about them, and how much they outperform most other lines.

greatdanerunner
02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
I found mine used through the DW local dealer.

SDLandscapes VT
02-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Got a brand new one in September for $18K on a factory promo.....dealers typically have used ones and they are fair--at least the ones DWNE tried to sell to me. Wanted $14K for a machine with <200 hrs

arbor pro
02-15-2011, 09:10 AM
I have both a bobcat mt52 with 289 hrs and a DW sk500 with 640 hrs for sale. While not the sk650, either would make a great starter machine. Also have a lot of attachments for either machine so, if you aren't interested in one of my mini skids and do find a used 650, let me know if you'd be interested in a trencher, auger, 4-in1 bucket, tooth bucket, forks, carry-all, grapple bucket or stump grinder. I'll give a great package deal.

scott
605-228-9350

White Gardens
02-23-2011, 06:42 AM
I know you are sold on the DW, but you might want to find a Vermeer dealer and check out what they have to offer with the s series.

Only reason I mention is that it's comparable to the DW with the full pilot (joystick)controls that I think sets it apart from DW.

RhinoL&L
02-23-2011, 07:29 AM
I know you are sold on the DW, but you might want to find a Vermeer dealer and check out what they have to offer with the s series.

Only reason I mention is that it's comparable to the DW with the full pilot (joystick)controls that I think sets it apart from DW.

I have considered a vermeer, we actually had a 600tx and DW 350 on the same site moving soil to a backyard. The reason I shy away from the vermeer is because the experience we had with it. The DW 350 was able to drive into the pile of soil, while lifting and and curling the bucket. The vermeer struggled to do that and stalled two times. In terms of operator comfort and ease of operation, along with the visual appeal, the vermeer wins. For me, I dont mind sacrificing the controls or the look, as the DW is manageable with a little practice, and while I am concerned with looks and how they affect the company, the DW just looks old. I am more concerned about the machines ability to do the work I need it to - move material, dig, grade, run implements for planting, etc. Maybe the vermeer had problems, although everything functioned, just seemed underpowered.

White Gardens
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
I have considered a vermeer, we actually had a 600tx and DW 350 on the same site moving soil to a backyard. The reason I shy away from the vermeer is because the experience we had with it. The DW 350 was able to drive into the pile of soil, while lifting and and curling the bucket. The vermeer struggled to do that and stalled two times. In terms of operator comfort and ease of operation, along with the visual appeal, the vermeer wins. For me, I dont mind sacrificing the controls or the look, as the DW is manageable with a little practice, and while I am concerned with looks and how they affect the company, the DW just looks old. I am more concerned about the machines ability to do the work I need it to - move material, dig, grade, run implements for planting, etc. Maybe the vermeer had problems, although everything functioned, just seemed underpowered.

The SK650 does have 4 more horse or so, that could be all the difference.

Makes me wonder if that is why Vermeer came out with the s800tx to compete in power and raise the tipping capacity to be able to move pallets of material.

arbor pro
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
The SK650 does have 4 more horse or so, that could be all the difference.

Makes me wonder if that is why Vermeer came out with the s800tx to compete in power and raise the tipping capacity to be able to move pallets of material.

I would imagine so. Just a matter of time before bobcat follows suit with a 30hp mini skid.

SDLandscapes VT
02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
We rented the Vermeer for years S600tx and I was overjoyed by what that machine could do in comparison to my experience with the MT55. I had a demo of the DitchWitch head to head on a day when I had rented the Vermeer. Vermeer has the controls locked up, but the Ditch Witch is superior in every other category and the while the on paper difference is only 4 HP it mind as well be 40 because that is the difference in operating them. We purchased the 650 in the fall and we were second guessing our decision a bit, but the rental yard Vermeer went down hard from the end of September through the first of December and I would not have been able to get everything completed--as far as maintenance and durability Ditch Witch all the way

White Gardens
02-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm running a 27horse kohler in my S600, and yes it's a step down power-wise from the Kubota diesel, but it's still more than enough power for what I do. It operates my mini backhoe with ease and that was my main concern.

Part of me though, wishes that the motor would die on me and I would stick a 36 horse Kohler back in it. That would beef it up pretty good.

SDLandscapes VT
02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I compared Vermeer Diesel vs. Ditch Witch Diesel......still a difference. Also Ditch Witch has one more pump which helps

RhinoL&L
02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I compared Vermeer Diesel vs. Ditch Witch Diesel......still a difference. Also Ditch Witch has one more pump which helps

sounds like my suspicions are true. Talked to a vermeer rep and told him my story of the DW 350 doing better than the 600, and i heard a bunch of explanations. I didnt sugarcoat anything and the best thing he came up with was that the rental co had turned down the max running speed so people wouldnt run it too hard! The DW is lacking on controls, but as I said earlier, that is low on the list of things im looking for.

Another thing, DW seems to be more expensive, which is ok, but I cant seem to find used ones, anyone know where to look to find slightly used DW650 with low hours?

arbor pro
02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
sounds like my suspicions are true. Talked to a vermeer rep and told him my story of the DW 350 doing better than the 600, and i heard a bunch of explanations. I didnt sugarcoat anything and the best thing he came up with was that the rental co had turned down the max running speed so people wouldnt run it too hard! The DW is lacking on controls, but as I said earlier, that is low on the list of things im looking for.

Another thing, DW seems to be more expensive, which is ok, but I cant seem to find used ones, anyone know where to look to find slightly used DW650 with low hours?

Nope. But I know a guy who's selling a good used sk500..... :waving:

White Gardens
02-24-2011, 08:18 AM

I wouldn't be too surprised if there is a little truth in that statement. I stuck a tach on my machine and it was about 600rpm's short of the recommended rpm range for the Kohler motor, and the machine was a used rental from Vermeer.

Once I bumped it up I could tell I was getting more power.

Back to the discussion between the s600 diesel and the sk650 diesel; even though the Vermeer s600 is 4 horse smaller than the 650, I would think that you could make it up in operation time from being that much more efficient with the full pilot controls.