PDA

View Full Version : steep slope

strickdad
09-06-2002, 12:26 AM
we have a steep slope at one of our shopping centers thats kind of bare and weedy . the owner wants to do something in there. do you have any ideas?? slope is about 100 ft. long. it is about 25 feet deep (front to back) and it rises about 15 feet (bottom to top) soil is poor, drainage is good (out into the parking lot!!lol) ground doesent get much of a chance to absorb water because of rapid runoff. area will be in full sun. mulch will likley not hold, due to steepness. i dont want to put grass in because, 1 impossible to mow. 2 it can be cut with a string trimmer but its very dangerous. any ideas???

Lanelle
09-06-2002, 12:42 AM
There are lots of possiblities for you to consider. Since it is a sunny location there are lots of plants to choose from. A few to consider: Daylilies, low, spreading junipers, ground cover roses, winter jasmine, santolina, ornamental grasses and many other perennials. In general, perennials with gray/green foliage will enjoy a dry sunny location.

randosh4
09-06-2002, 12:57 AM
put chicken wire down first then put mulch down that will hold it in place

GarPA
09-06-2002, 06:16 AM
well I did a job 2 months ago like yours...right up against the road so road salt on plants was a concern. I put down 12 yards of black mulch(its very light and does not knit together very well like 'normal' mulch.) I was real concerned about it moving around after installed. Well its been thru a number of storms and high wind and it has not moved at all...maybe I was lucky on this one so take it for what its worth.

JML
09-06-2002, 07:47 PM
We usually hydro seed wildflower seed mixtures onto hills. We get a very good mixture so there is almost color on the hill at all times.

kris
09-08-2002, 08:58 AM
Retaining walls.

paul
09-08-2002, 05:48 PM
If your description is right the slope is mowable, 1.5 to 1 (1.5 ft of run to 1 ft of drop) it just might not be able to to get grass growing. I would look into using a slow growing grass seed and an erosion control blanket.

Use a long term blanket and talk to your grass seed supplier about slow growing grass seeds var that they have now. We are using some seed that only gets about 6"-8" high in a year. Park districts are swicthing to them so they only have to mow them once of twice a year.