PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia sod

Lanelle
09-05-2002, 11:30 PM
I have a residential client that wants their poorly established fescue sod replaced with zoysia sod. They want instant carpet so using plugs is not an option. In this area, zoysia sod is uncommon however I have found a reputable supplier who will deliver it to me (don't even ask the price, I might pass out).
Here's the question: After the current turf is killed with Round-up, I've been told that the zoysia can be simply laid on top of the dead lawn. I'm not comfortable with that idea--seems like soil contact would be problematic. Assume this is red Virginia clay soil, because it is. I had proposed rototilling and raking out the surface. What would you recommend? I have to do this soon or wait until spring (client won't wait tho--).
Thanks for the help.

strickdad
09-05-2002, 11:42 PM
lanelle, i dont like the sound of that either. but on the other hand i dont know alot about zoysia but our supplier does. call this number and they can help you out 1-800-688-3950 this number is to sandhill turf. see there web site at http://www.sandhillturf.com

turfquip
09-06-2002, 07:26 AM
As you know, Zoysia is very aggressive. Did the sod supplier tell you that laying it over the dead grass would work? Or was it someone else.

Their(suppliers) assessment would hold more weight with me than someone unfamiliar with Zoysia tendencies.

Tilling seems extreme. A compromise solution may be to aerate the heck out of the dead lawn with a core plugger, remove the cores. Run a slicer over the entire surface to create 'rills'.

I'd sod over a lawn prepped in this way any day :-)